talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ligue 1 2017/18 Chat

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

@Stan, at Nice, prior to signing for Villa, he was a real prospect. One of the best fullbacks in Ligue 1. He's been good without ripping up trees at Villa. He's a better option than Evra or Bedimo given both of them are aging and haven't the motors to get up and down the flanks anymore. I suspect Garcia will adjust to three at the back though if he does start Amavi given he loves Evra. 

• Administrator

Squeaked it last night but two games and two clean sheets. A pleasing start but the opposition was very average at best. I want to see more from from Thauvin

3 hours ago, Machado said:

Injured or expecting a move?

Reports are that PSG are close to getting Mbappe and they're open to selling Draxler.

EDIT: What the fuck kind of own goal was that? xD Guigamp down to PSG now 0-1 after not having much trouble keeping it 0-0.

5 hours ago, ...Dan said:

Strasbourg beating Bielsa's Lille with about ten minutes to go. :o

Turns out Lille played the last half hour with an outfield player in goal. xD They used all three substitutions in the first half (I assume because of injuries) and then their keeper.got sent off.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Spike said:

@Batard what happened to that cat Marvin Martin? He was expected for big things.

An above average player who looked good at a lesser club, couldn't do it at a club with higher standards. Also see Yann M'Vila, Modibo Maiga, Jordan Ayew, Alex Nyarko et al

On 15/08/2017 at 6:42 PM, Batard said:

An above average player who looked good at a lesser club, couldn't do it at a club with higher standards. Also see Yann M'Vila, Modibo Maiga, Jordan Ayew, Alex Nyarko et al

Your post made me think about it, but France has had some very talented players the last few years who just couldn´t make the jump at big clubs. M´Vila,  like you mentioned, Kondongbia and Cabella come to my mind. 

I still haven´t lost my hopes with Thauvin though. He was good last season and I think he´ll benefit from a more stable OM. :)

• Administrator
1 hour ago, El_Loco said:

Your post made me think about it, but France has had some very talented players the last few years who just couldn´t make the jump at big clubs. M´Vila,  like you mentioned, Kondongbia and Cabella come to my mind. 

I still haven´t lost my hopes with Thauvin though. He was good last season and I think he´ll benefit from a more stable OM. :)

Of those players, Kondogbia has the power and physique to suceed, but he lacks the intelligence to play centra midfield at the highest level. He is infuriating.

Cabella. Well. Far too flaky. His confidence has never recovered. Don't be surprised to see him at Saint Etienne or the like next season.

Ah. Thauvin. He was exceptional last season! But the standard of defending across France last year was really not good, sure great to watch attacking football but most teams were just so open at the back to the most basic of plays 

• Subscriber

PSG beat Toulouse 6-2 with three goals in the last 10 minutes despite Verratti seeing red for two bookable offences on 70 minutes, Neymar on target twice.

Lille with a disappointing 0-2 loss at home to Caen too.

36 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

PSG beat Toulouse 6-2 with three goals in the last 10 minutes despite Verratti seeing red for two bookable offences on 70 minutes, Neymar on target twice.

Lille with a disappointing 0-2 loss at home to Caen too.

...that's kinda appalling to see 10 men overrun 11 in only 10 minutes.  Hard to see PSG not winning the title this season.   

The news articles do PSG scant justice. I'm not  a PSG fan, quite the opposite, and find the Qatari moneybags stuff disturbing - but I switched round to watch the second half and was transfixed.

PSG played the best 30 minutes of attacking football I've seen for ages, with Neymar both providing individual brilliance and setting up his teammates with chances ( while behaving like a gent, despite some rough challenges).

They were 2-1 ahead when Veratti got sent off, correctly, after a second yellow. Cue to bring on defenders and shut up shop? No, they brought on Pastore, attacked like demons and scored 4 more goals - 3 of which would be on anyone's goal of the month list: Pastore's wonderful curler, Kurzawa's inspired scissors-kick, and, the best of the lot, Neymar tricking his way brilliantly past 4/5 defenders then shooting. Poor defending? No, no defence would have stopped the goals.

As for the old chestnut about the poor standard of the French league: like most others these days, they have a handful of good teams (PSG, Monaco, Lyon, Marseille getting there) who could and do give anyone a game - and who do at least as well in the Champions League as the PL giants.

Couple of good games coming up next matchday:

PSG vs. St. Etienne
Monaco vs. Marseille

Monaco have sold a few of their big players but Jardim is continuing to do well there. 1 more win for his 100th win with Monaco.

Archived