talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Pep's Bald Head Thread

Outside of creating the greatest team ever assembled; I'm far from impressed with his career. I'm convinced from 2008-2012 was a series of events of everything going perfectly right. The right manager, at the right club, with the right players at the right time. I don't think anyone else could have done what Pep did but I don't think Pep could have ever done that without the team and resources he had. Bayern Munich regressed under Pep and Manchester City is struggling to life with the Bald One. I think he can pull it around but I think he is struggling outside of the culture of Spanish football. The fact that goal differential counts in England makes the lower ranked teams much more aggressive and they won't give up until the ninety minutes are over. The refs are more lenient with physicality and less tolerant of diving.

The difference between Swansea and Betis isn't one of quality but if Betis go three-nil down to Barcelona they'll just save their energy for next game. Swansea will fight tooth and nail for an extra goal, or even a draw.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, Spike said:

The fact that goal differential counts in England makes the lower ranked teams much more aggressive and they won't give up until the ninety minutes are over. The refs are more lenient with physicality and less tolerant of diving.

so this is what makes Pep bald? Things out of his control...?

I agree with this sentiment. I believe you could have put many managers in the position that Pep was at Barcelona and they would have thrived as he did, same as with when he went to Bayern Munich another powerhouse at the time that bought the leagues best and left them with no competition. I think him being at City really shows for the first time his abilities and they are without a doubt lackluster even with a quality team, but since he has competition he isn't just strolling in the park.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

I thought this was the ''Phil's Bald Head Thread'' - how disappointing. 

that needs a whole forum dedicated to it, not just a thread.

3 minutes ago, Dickie said:

I agree with this sentiment. I believe you could have put many managers in the position that Pep was at Barcelona and they would have thrived as he did, same as with when he went to Bayern Munich another powerhouse at the time that bought the leagues best and left them with no competition. I think him being at City really shows for the first time his abilities and they are without a doubt lackluster even with a quality team, but since he has competition he isn't just strolling in the park.

That wasn't my point at all, though.

"i'm convinced from 2008-2012 was a series of events of everything going perfectly right. The right manager, at the right club, with the right players at the right time. I don't think anyone else could have done what Pep did but I don't think Pep could have ever done that without the team and resources he had."

You said this and I was disagreeing. Then agreeing with the rest of what you said.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Bayern Munich regressed under Pep

Quite open to debate. Alot of people agree with you but it depends what you say is regression? Three straight Bundesliga titles, 2 straight domestic cups and 3 times straight reached the CL semi's. I mean if you go in expecting us to win back to back to back trebles, sure it was a regression. Playing wise i will disagree emphatically. Some of the best football ive witnessed my team play was under Pep. 

11 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Quite open to debate. Alot of people agree with you but it depends what you say is regression? Three straight Bundesliga titles, 2 straight domestic cups and 3 times straight reached the CL semi's. I mean if you go in expecting us to win back to back to back trebles, sure it was a regression. Playing wise i will disagree emphatically. Some of the best football ive witnessed my team play was under Pep. 

I was much impressed by Heynckes' last season in terms of style. Bayern were always expected to win those titles but for a team so strong to be brushed aside with aplomb in the Semis is nothing short of failure.

40 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Pep would kill you for that one seeing as he traices his lineage back to the origins of south of France catalan breeding. 

Can't argue with 700 YEARS or African and Islamic dominance. Spain is Europe's failure. :o

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Spike said:

I was much impressed by Heynckes' last season in terms of style. Bayern were always expected to win those titles but for a team so strong to be brushed aside with aplomb in the Semis is nothing short of failure.

Can't argue with 700 YEARS or African and Islamic dominance. Spain is Europe's failure. :o

i mean the last season we largely outplayed Atletico (specifcally the second leg) and went out on away goals 2-2 if thats brushed aside im Michael Jackson. So the only way you think it isnt a regression is if we won CL? Alot of people brush aside the domestic dominance but i dont, that level of consistency isnt something to scoff at  but thats my opinion.  

46 minutes ago, Spike said:

Not in my area mate! :15_yum:

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Not in my area mate! :15_yum:

You can't act like people didn't move around :ph34r: Gallicia hasn't only been Gallicians for 1300 years. As far as I'm concerned you're a Moroccan and Neapolitan wife is from Ethiopia. xD

12 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

i mean the last season we largely outplayed Atletico (specifcally the second leg) and went out on away goals 2-2 if thats brushed aside im Michael Jackson. So the only way you think it isnt a regression is if we won CL? Alot of people brush aside the domestic dominance but i dont, that level of consistency isnt something to scoff at  but thats my opinion.  

What about the previous two years? No I didn't say that. I didn't brush it aside, I said that Bayern were expected to win regardless of their manager, you don't have a team like Bayern and don't pick them as favourites.

30 minutes ago, Spike said:

You can't act like people didn't move around :ph34r: Gallicia hasn't only been Gallicians for 1300 years. As far as I'm concerned you're a Moroccan and Neapolitan wife is from Ethiopia. xD

xD My wife would cut your testicles off for that one. They lave having a reason to beat men up.  :x

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Spike said:

What about the previous two years? No I didn't say that. I didn't brush it aside, I said that Bayern were expected to win regardless of their manager, you don't have a team like Bayern and don't pick them as favourites.

Previous two seasons? Well if thats what your basing it off of; A new manager coming into a treble winning side i cant think of any off the top of my head that can live up to those impossible standards. Sure Bayern comes with high expectations and im sure upper management had similar expectations but it shows alot that even without living up said standards they still wanted to retain him during the 3rd and final season he was here. He was tasked with alot more then just winning and i wouldnt call his tenure here a failure by any stretch. 

16 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Previous two seasons? Well if thats what your basing it off of; A new manager coming into a treble winning side i cant think of any off the top of my head that can live up to those impossible standards. Sure Bayern comes with high expectations and im sure upper management had similar expectations but it shows alot that even without living up said standards they still wanted to retain him during the 3rd and final season he was here. He was tasked with alot more then just winning and i wouldnt call his tenure here a failure by any stretch. 

He came into the best team in Europe spent a lot of money and got absolutely SPANKED by Barcelona and Real Madrid and then couldn't get past the third best team in Spain. Especially bad when the year before Bayern  annihilated Barcelona 7-0.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

He came into the best team in Europe spent a lot of money and got absolutely SPANKED by Barcelona and Real Madrid and then couldn't get past the third best team in Spain. Especially bad when the year before Bayern  annihilated Barcelona 7-0.

He didnt spend alot of money first off, infact he spent less then Heynckes did the previous year but thats an irrelevant point anyways.

Yes we got spanked by back to back winners of the competition so if thats your measuring stick.........Yes we lost a 2-2 tie on away goals to one of the top teams in europe in the third season these are all facts. Their was progression every season on the field under Pep hence why management wanted to keep him around for further years. He was tasked with doing alot more then winning games and i think he succeeded in both aspects. 

1 minute ago, Viva la FCB said:

He didnt spend alot of money first off, infact he spent less then Heynckes did the previous year but thats an irrelevant point anyways.

Yes we got spanked by back to back winners of the competition so if thats your measuring stick.........Yes we lost a 2-2 tie on away goals to one of the top teams in europe in the third season these are all facts. Their was progression every season on the field under Pep hence why management wanted to keep him around for further years. He was tasked with doing alot more then winning games and i think he succeeded in both aspects. 

I wasn't comparing spending, he spent a lot regardless. So he regressed and then had to progress? That's pretty funny. 'Winners' of the competition, yeah Bayern was one of those winners that got spanked. A team with World Cup winners, Champions League winners and Balon d'Or candidates shouldn't lose to Barcelona 7-0 in the Champions League with the former manager (a man that should understand Barcelona like no other) and supposed best manager in the world.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Spike said:

I wasn't comparing spending, he spent a lot regardless. So he regressed and then had to progress? That's pretty funny. 'Winners' of the competition, yeah Bayern was one of those winners that got spanked. A team with World Cup winners, Champions League winners and Balon d'Or candidates shouldn't lose to Barcelona 7-0 in the Champions League with the former manager (a man that should understand Barcelona like no other) and supposed best manager in the world.

I've never said they regressed you did. I say saying they regresssed is ridiculous. A new manager with a new footballing philosophy that didnt spend alot (comparibly to any of the top teams) should be and was given some of a grace period to adapt to his new team and vise versa. This clearly happend and we saw improvement every year like i mentioned to the point that our upper management wanted to keep him on even despite all the outsiders (and some insiders) opinions that he failed and was failing. And youre mixing facts now, we won 7-0 on agg the year we won the treble, we lost 5-3 on agg to barca the year your referring to. Guardiola made some massive mistakes and i was a huge critic about some of the things he was doing but saying the club regressed because he didnt win the CL is lunacy. 

You don't win the Premier League without a rock solid spine.

You might be able to win La Liga without one as proven by Barcelona winning the league twice with Bravo in goal. The gulf between Barcelona and the teams at the bottom of the Spanish league is much bigger than the gulf between Man City and the teams at the bottom of the Premier League. 

If you can say Man City have got the spine and are still not the top team then it's safe to say Pep has failed. 

You can't really say that though because their goalkeeper is wank and the centre halves are nowhere near what Kompany in his prime was.

I remember Man Utd fucking up one season by having Roy Carroll.

Archived