talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Should Chelsea Have Kept Diego Costa?

Chelsea should not have allowed Diego Costa to leave the club "so easily" this season, according to former Blues boss Avram Grant.

Costa began the campaign in self-enforced exile in Brazil after being told he was surplus to requirements by Antonio Conte, and the Spain international was eventually allowed to rejoin former club Atletico Madrid in January in a £57m move.

However, Grant believes Chelsea should have tried harder in keeping Costa and insists the club's current league position is partly down to the loss of the two-time Premier League winner.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely!  That's Conte's one and biggest mistake with the reason he finds himself in the predicament he does.  Diego Costa is probably the most perfect striker in the world for how he wants his teams to play football. Having a Rottweiler up front that knows how to finish the job is priceless.

Costa gave us much needed aggression up front but that was also his downfall... can't think of too many games where he was not winding someone up and getting involved in those odd nasty altercations.. He did unsettle sides I will give him that and I don't agree with the way it was all handled but Spurs have Kane and Pool have Salah and I don't see too many problems like that with their behavior in the same respect so it's about finding the right man for us..  

I think it's an easy area to target and probably very English because Morata and Costa are night and day in terms of aggression. But Morata's on 14 goals this season and if he scores two more he equals Costa's goals in his second season at Chelsea. Costa was very overrated.

For me Chelseas biggest problem was their midfield and they didn't improve it properly. Kante = great...the rest though not really. Could have done with someone like Kyle Walker at right back as well...should also have pursued Sanchez so he and Hazard could play off Morata.

No. He was a cunt, a liability and he had to go. He was a WUM's dream.

Signing someone better than Morata might have been an idea. But then again, I honestly think they thought they had Lukaku.

No! He didn't want to be at the club anymore. Whether or not he is a great player is a moot point when a unhinged player like Costa is on the loose. It was only a matter of time before he and the club would part as that is part and parcel of the man himself. I have no ill feelings towards either party for the break up as the relationship between gunpowder and flame is a well documented one.

Archived