talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bayern Munich select Niko Kovac as next coach

https://www.espn.com/soccer/bayern-munich/story/3454023/bayern-munich-select-niko-kovac-as-next-coach-report

Bayern Munich select Niko Kovac as next coach - report

Eintracht Frankfurt manager Niko Kovac will be the next coach of Bayern Munich, according to a report by German newspaper Bild.

kovac-1523562676_zoom14_crop_560x280_560

A former Bayern defender, Kovac has long been considered a leading contender to replace interim coach Jupp Heynckes, who plans the retire at the end of the season.

Kovac, 46, took over Eintracht Frankfurt in March 2016 and helped the club survive a relegation playoff that season before finishing 11th last year.

They are currently in fifth place, just two points behind Bayer Leverkusen for the final Champions League qualification spot with five games remaining.

Kovac said last week he was happy at Eintracht, where he is under contract for another seaosn, but he left the door open for a possible change.

"There is no reason to doubt whether I'll be coach here next year," he said, but added: "So much happens in soccer. I don't know what will happen tomorrow. As things stand now, I am coach until 2019."
Bayern had previously targeted former Thomas Tuchel to take over, but CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirmed last month that the Borussia Dortmund boss had turned down the Bavarian club, while sources told ESPN he is Paris-Saint Germain's choice to be their next boss.

Rummenigge also said that Bayern would seek a German-speaking coach, and planned to make an appointment before the end of April. Other reported candidates included RB Leipzig's Ralf Hassenhuttl, Hoffenheim's Julian Nagelsmann and Freiburg's Christian Streich.

During his playing career, Kovac spent two seasons with Bayern Munich from 2001-03. After retiring from playing in 2009, Kovac remained at RB Salzburg as an assistant.

His first senior coaching job came with the Croatia national team, for whom he earlier starred as captain at the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008.

Kovac is also a good friend of his former Bayern teammate Hasan Salihamidzic, who is now Bayern's sporting director.

Heynckes, 72, helped Bayern secure the Bundesliga title last weekend after replacing Carlo Ancelotti in October.

So just empty words from him a few days ago, and I thought he was one of the few "honest ones" in this business. Ah well, just another mercenary. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2018/4/12/17231188/breaking-bild-reports-eintracht-frankfurt-niko-kovac-will-jupp-heynckes-at-bayern-munich

How is he as coach? Any particular reason why Bayern went for him rather than all the other managers out there? Is he a mere stopgap to the next manager?

Kinda off-topic: why isn't there a Hertha Berlin thread? Does anyone know the management structure of Hertha? Who owns the club? How much longer are they tenants at the Olympiastadion?

Thanks a bunch. 

On 13.4.2018 at 00:36, Paulo Dybala said:

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2018/4/12/17231188/breaking-bild-reports-eintracht-frankfurt-niko-kovac-will-jupp-heynckes-at-bayern-munich

How is he as coach? Any particular reason why Bayern went for him rather than all the other managers out there? Is he a mere stopgap to the next manager?

He´s quite defense orientated in his approach. He does speak German like his native language, which is something Bayern insisted on, him being a former player and therefore knowing the club already might have played a role in his appointement, too.

By the way, German teams tend to rate experience not as much as the other top leagues. Whether he´s merely a stopgap or not depends on his success as a Bayern manager and how he comes along with the big egos in the dressing room as well as with those at the board.

5 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

He´s quite defense orientated in his approach. He does speak German like his native language, which is something Bayern insisted on, him being a former player and therefore knowing the club already might have played a role in his appointement, too.

Cheers mate thanks for your input.

Kinda off-topic: why isn't there a Hertha Berlin thread? Does anyone know the management structure of Hertha? Who owns the club? How much longer are they tenants at the Olympiastadion?

Thanks a bunch. 

There´s no Hertha BSC thread, because we a) have no Hertha fans around here and they are b) not as relevant as Schalke or Leverkusen.

I´m not sure I understand what you mean by the term management structure?

Hertha BSC are a German club and as such memberowned (very little exceptions to this rule and even them are memberowned formally), they will be playing in the Olympiastadion for the foreseeable future.

2 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Hertha BSC are a German club and as such memberowned (very little exceptions to this rule and even them are memberowned formally), they will be playing in the Olympiastadion for the foreseeable future.

Ah ok. So no chance of them being owned by Boston CEOs like Roma and Liverpool then? What would it take to change that member owned approach? Would it ever change?

• Subscriber

Less than 10% of Hertha's shares now belong to KKR, a US-based company, I believe. The rest, as Rucksackfranzose said, is member-owned.

Would it ever change? Hopefully not. Just a while ago, the clubs voted against changes to the current ownership system, long may it continue.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Less than 10% of Hertha's shares now belong to KKR, a US-based company, I believe. The rest, as Rucksackfranzose said, is member-owned.

Would it ever change? Hopefully not. Just a while ago, the clubs voted against changes to the current ownership system, long may it continue.

Cheers @nudge thank you for your insight.

The reason why I asked about the Olympiastadion is because of an article I read (not this one) that stated that they are moving to a new stadium within a decade. 

Would be a shame to leave the historical stadium they currently have. 

https://www.dw.com/en/hertha-berlin-aim-to-be-more-competitive-with-new-purpose-built-stadium-by-2025/a-38209339

On the one hand I think it is great that they go for a young coach on his way up with excellent German skills and a connection to the club. But on the the other hand his Frankfurt team had a very negative approach to the game when I have seen them. Not being able to create much from own play (I have not seen that many games with them, so I am no expert.)

His results are very good but not that impressive. Coming 11th last season and maybe 7th or 8th this season is solid at a club like Frankfurt, but would not automatically make you a candidate to coach Bayern, even though they did reach two Pokal finals.    

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Relling said:

On the one hand I think it is great that they go for a young coach on his way up with excellent German skills and a connection to the club. But on the the other hand his Frankfurt team had a very negative approach to the game when I have seen them. Not being able to create much from own play (I have not seen that many games with them, so I am no expert.)

His results are very good but not that impressive. Coming 11th last season and maybe 7th or 8th this season is solid at a club like Frankfurt, but would not automatically make you a candidate to coach Bayern, even though they did reach two Pokal finals.    

Yeah I made a post in the Bayern thread about it Im much of the same opinion as you; stuck in two minds. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt, we'll see what he can do with an attacking minded squad before I pass judgement. Its just on the surface he clearly was not our first choice maybe not even second or third for that matter. Im still bitter over losing out on Tuchel simply because of management spinning their wheels for months before putting forward an offer. 

Archived