• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Asian Cup 2019

football forum

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Azeem said:

The confidence and quality South Korea are playing with - in the midst of Son's arrival - just shows how good he is and why South Korea will be a top contender from now on. 

Beat me to it. South Korea before this game looked awful. Son has come in and got 2 assists. Well, if you count the penalty he won as an assist, which official stats do not.

With a proper world class player and 10 other decent to good players, South Korea are convincing me. They are playing with confidence.

It's not in doubt, but Son Heung-Min is world class and the best Asian player at the moment. You can just see that these Chinese players are nothing for him and he's having an absolute field day. With him on the pitch, I can only see Iran or Japan having enough to beat them.

It's really no wonder Ali Adnan is playing in Europe. He's shown his versatility. Wing back? He'll make great crosses. Centre back? He'll be solid in defence and be able to play it out.

It's a shame he doesn't seem to get much of a chance in Italy but he's a really good footballer.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Blue said:

It's not in doubt, but Son Heung-Min is world class and the best Asian player at the moment. You can just see that these Chinese players are nothing for him and he's having an absolute field day. With him on the pitch, I can only see Iran or Japan having enough to beat them.

Just seen you've been saying this before too - very obvious how much of a difference he makes.

I'd also go as far as to say he's the best Asian player of all time. Maybe doesn't have the longevity yet but in terms of talent I really think he is.

Just now, Storts said:

Just seen you've been saying this before too - very obvious how much of a difference he makes.

I'd also go as far as to say he's the best Asian player of all time. Maybe doesn't have the longevity yet but in terms of talent I really think he is.

I don't know the history reach of Asian players, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is. No Asian player has reached this height of performing consistently for a top club in my memory. There have been a few Koreans in the 70's who did play in Europe in a much less reputable time for Asian football, but from what I've seen at least I agree that he's the most talented. 

It would be appropriate for S. Korea to win this tournament. I was shocked when I learned they haven't won it since 1960.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don't know the history reach of Asian players, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is. No Asian player has reached this height of performing consistently for a top club in my memory. There have been a few Koreans in the 70's who did play in Europe in a much less reputable time for Asian football, but from what I've seen at least I agree that he's the most talented. 

It would be appropriate for S. Korea to win this tournament. I was shocked when I learned they haven't won it since 1960.

Cha Bum-Kun is widely regarded as the best I think, although someone with more knowledge than I could correct me @nudge - but yeah the performances at the top level he is producing now, and the talent he has, along with raw pace and power, mean with more seasons under his belt I really think he will be seen as the greatest talent, even if it doesn't translate into team accolades. Leading them to glory here would be a start though, and they've got a favourable route through now imo

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Storts said:

Cha Bum-Kun is widely regarded as the best I think, although someone with more knowledge than I could correct me @nudge - but yeah the performances at the top level he is producing now, and the talent he has, along with raw pace and power, mean with more seasons under his belt I really think he will be seen as the greatest talent, even if it doesn't translate into team accolades. Leading them to glory here would be a start though, and they've got a favourable route through now imo

I was a bit too young when Cha Bum-kun was at his best but he definitely was an extraordinary player. I think Nakata also deserves a shout. Son is definitely up there too though.

Meanwhile Vietnam lead by two goals and deservedly so! They need one more to be guaranteed a place in the knockouts but even without it they should probably make it. 

The Iran - Iraq match was shite. Pretty conservative setup from Iran tonight, which had Azmoun looking like WC 2018 Azmoun (i.e. terrible). Only needed a draw though so after the first half Queiroz basically shut up shop and they went into "this is the world cup and we're playing Spain/Portugal mode" and utterly sucked the life out of the game. The match was extra scrappy too.

Iraq had a very unorthodox method to defend Azmoun. Basically throwing 3-4 players around him in a circle so he has no lateral movement on his jumps. 

Effective but I doubt other teams will be able to implement that especially less physically gifted teams like China/Thailand etc further in the competition.

Interesting fact about Lebanon 

The Prime Minister of the country must be a Sunni Muslim 

The President of the country must be a Maronite Christian

The Speaker of the Parliament must be Shia Muslim

The Army Chief must be a Druze, follower of a monotheistic religion which is an amalgam of the three Abrahamic religions and they believe in reincarnation

Group E playing after Group F means that Saudi Arabia will know how the brackets line up before they play Qatar. Should Japan win and end up in Iran's half, I believe the Saudis will go for the victory over Qatar to face Iraq in the R16 rather than Japan. Else, if Japan does not beat Uzbekistan and Uzbekistan ends up in Iran's half, I think the Saudis will be happy to settle for a draw with Qatar and take on Uzbekistan instead.

There's obviously a chance of both Japan and the Saudis ending up on the bottom half of the draw but I seriously doubt it will happen with Group E playing after Group F.

Interesting fact about Oman

Of all the Gulf Monarchies, the monarch of Oman is the oldest dating back to 1744 thus making it the only one that wasn't installed by the help of the European powers 

According to Hebrew traditions, King Solomon gifted a horse to the locals of the land of Oman. Since than all the breeds of world famous Arab Horse have original came from Oman. The Arab Horse has one less vertebrate in its back and one less rib than other horses.    

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Japan won means they and Iran will play each other in the semis most likely

I am wondering who they get next but I don't think it will matter in the end. At the end I was almost sure Uzbekistan would equalize with that wonder shot from way out but the goalkeeper did a good job.

Archived