talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Asian Cup 2019

football forum

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should have seen this coming to be honest. I should have known that Graham Arnold vs Hector Cuper would be a snooze fest. The 2 play such negative football.

First game I’ve watched in full. Wish I didn’t stay up for that utter garbage. Hope UAE beat us so Arnold can fuck off and take crap like Grant with him 👀

did see some of Japan v Saudi - never seen Japan so shit in my entire life 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Toinho said:

They don't seem to have any attacking intent like they did at the WC. I was hoping for much better from this team but their defense is lacking and for some reason they have no midfield creativity, something they used to have loads of.

7 hours ago, Toinho said:

First game I’ve watched in full. Wish I didn’t stay up for that utter garbage. Hope UAE beat us so Arnold can fuck off and take crap like Grant with him 👀

I've actually thought Grant was good. Much better than the likes of Risdon anyways. Arnold is very uninspiring though and his only strength is putting the correct teams together. So far out of 3 he's the only manager who's had the balls to drop Kruse.

13 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Fuck off Ryan. Fuck off Australia. You can't even beat Uzbekistan but you think you deserve to get out of the world cup group stage every 4 years you utter gobshites.

Do they though? Or do they just always set a goal of qualifying which is fair enough given the number of teams that qualify through Asia and the standing/prospects of even a poor Australian side in the Asian confederation.

Bottom line is fixed quotas for each confederation is a deeply flawed system that results in some extremely weak sides getting into world cups...

Even more so as fifa continue to devalue the world cup further by expanding it...

I'm an Australian fan but I actively prefer a model where Australia (and all teams tbh) must absolutely bust their ass to earn the right to compete in the world cup... as we did in 2006 or as @Blue's Peru had to do last year. It really takes the shine off the event for it to be a given that we'll compete almost every time. 

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

Do they though? Or do they just always set a goal of qualifying which is fair enough given the number of teams that qualify through Asia and the standing/prospects of even a poor Australian side in the Asian confederation.

Bottom line is fixed quotas for each confederation is a deeply flawed system that results in some extremely weak sides getting into world cups...

Even more so as fifa continue to devalue the world cup further by expanding it...

I'm an Australian fan but I actively prefer a model where Australia (and all teams tbh) must absolutely bust their ass to earn the right to compete in the world cup... as we did in 2006 or as @Blue's Peru had to do last year. It really takes the shine off the event for it to be a given that we'll compete almost every time. 

The media blames BVM for not getting out of the group, when in reality under that fat greek sour cunt they would probably have been asked to leave the tournament after a 12-0 loss to france.

21 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The media blames BVM for not getting out of the group, when in reality under that fat greek sour cunt they would probably have been asked to leave the tournament after a 12-0 loss to france.

Mate that's just the role of journalists. Post mortems will be written after every tournament we don't win and for those articles to be worth their ink theyd better say something more constructive than "well the talent was shit so we didn't really stand a chance did we?".

Yeah but that's like saying the English football gossip columnists should stick to only reporting entirely factual articles otherwise just write nothing... the are commercial aspects that can't be ignored. 

I never look forward to the World Cup expecting quality, purely for entertainment and past nostalgia and a part of reason is that i never seen the tournaments of the past so i don't really know what i'm missing. 

I like seeing teams around the world playing each other and hoping one odd fixture that is more than just football like USA vs Iran in 1998 etc and now with 48 teams matches like these will be more common

Ali Almoez is fantastic. He's actually European quality if you ask me. I hope he has confidence in himself to get to a European club and not score a silly amount in the gulf. He's just strolling in this tournament and you can see it. 

Qatar aren't great otherwise but I think they'll be a better footballing team as hosts than South Africa were.

• Subscriber

Vietnam v Japan still 0-0 in HT. Japan have most of possession but Vietnam managed to create more chances and this is much closer than I thought it would be! Yoshida's goal ruled out by VAR.

• Subscriber

The ref decides to consult VAR minutes after the incident in the Vietnam box and after viewing the rather inconclusive footage gives penalty for Japan... 0-1. That was a bit of a joke. There MIGHT have been a slight contact but the reaction was way too exaggerated and came late as well. Meh. 

• Subscriber

All in all Vietnam can definitely be proud of their performance in this tournament. Quarter-final exit against Japan due to a soft penalty is certainly more than most people expected from a team that has qualified for the Asian Cup first time in twelve years... 

Archived