talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Asian Cup 2019

football forum

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Part of the reason for that is that Germany sucked even if you don't admit and i think we all should get used to low quality, in these days why we all look forward to even the World Cup now is past glory and nostalgia.

That's what I find ridiculous; considering how much money is circulating in the whole football business and especially given the transfer fees, player salaries and rising ticket and merchandise prices, I don't see why we should settle for low quality at all. I watched most of the matches in all World and Euro Cups since early/mid nineties and that's not the first time Germany sucked but for me this was truly the worst tournament I ever witnessed in terms of quality and entertainment. Part of the reason is definitely my dwindling interest in professional football overall but that's a different topic altogether.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Azeem said:

This Asian Cup has been more entertaining than the last Euros so far,  although quality wise even though many Asian teams have improved but real assessment will be the coming WCQs as a knock out tournament with a 24 team format isn't really a tough task compared to the rigorous qualifies especially in Asia where i think that Asian Cup isn't that much important for the so called bigger teams. 

Similar like Peru who did well in Copa America couple of times while struggle in the qualifiers.

I still think it's mad that despite how garbage we were between 1995 and 2016 that we haven't been eliminated in any group stage since.

I'm back in Lima now so I can watch this tournament with more freedom. Delighted that Australia are 2-0 up, Palestine aren't awful to be honest but on set pieces they are losing every header. All Australia need is a big man in the box and cross it in constantly. Palestine is terrible in the air.

I shouldn't complain about Mabil because I prefer him to Robbie Kruse, but goal aside he has been a bit poor today. Slowing down attacks by falling to the ground too easily and predictably. Also been missing shots horribly.

He is a good player though, so I'll give it a bad day at the office.

Australia should get through now, especially that Syria have also sacked their manager which surely is going to disrupt the form. 3-0 added a +2 goal difference and I think they've done what they needed.

Can anyone explain to me why there are so many English and German names for the Philippines? Younghusband? Woodland? Schrock?

My guess is that they like partying on the beach and moved there as expats. It's the classic answer really.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Blue said:

Can anyone explain to me why there are so many English and German names for the Philippines? Younghusband? Woodland? Schrock?

My guess is that they like partying on the beach and moved there as expats. It's the classic answer really.

Yes. And also the other way around (probably even more often); many of Filipinos who got married to Europeans and moved there to have a family. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Blue said:

Also, @nudge I found the rankings.

Chanathip 32nd xD

Wu Lei is also in there, but he doesn't appear in the picture. He's actually ranked as the best Asian player ffs.

9742c9a2323b7cd2e02c41a4d0301c03.png

The rankings are obviously nonsensical.. But Chanathip scored a lovely goal yesterday to win the match  :x

Just now, nudge said:

The rankings are obviously nonsensical.. But Chanathip scored a lovely goal yesterday to win the match  :x

They were voted by journalists, and none were Thai. There were a few Southeast Asians though.

Honestly rankings like these should be kept to opinion. People just vote for who they are supporting. Just look at the last Puskas. Salah won because the whole arab  league voted for him.

• Subscriber

Lovely goal by Wu Lei to make it 1-0 for China... Not a bad game so far and it's far from over. Not really impressed by Patiño upfront today and Schröck seems to be wasted there on the left side. Bring on Phil Younghusband! 

2 bangers from Wu Lei... China lead 2-0.

He's not one of the best 30 players in the world, but I do have to admit I have been impressed by him this tournament.

I'm not convinced by China. I think they are a quarter final team at best. However, Wu Lei is class. He is able to carry them until they face one of the main 4 (Australia, S. Korea, Japan, Iran)

Christ, South Korea look awful. I know Ki and Son are missing but they have been really underwhelming. Kyrgystan really knocking on the door now. They don't get forward a lot but every time they do it almost results in a goal.

From what I've seen so far, Iran are going to walk the Asian Cup.

South Korea miss another open net. Really if they had better finishing, decision making and final third touch, they would be about 5-0 up. Yet it's only 1-0. They have been pathetic in the final third.

13 hours ago, Blue said:

They were voted by journalists, and none were Thai. There were a few Southeast Asians though.

Honestly rankings like these should be kept to opinion. People just vote for who they are supporting. Just look at the last Puskas. Salah won because the whole arab  league voted for him.

And Africa :ph34r:

Archived