talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Asian Cup 2019

football forum

6 hours ago, nudge said:

Very glad Nabbout got a call up. I was very critical of that before the WC but he shut me up. I thought he did a lot better than Tomi Juric. 

Feels weird not seeing Cahill there.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to miss the first few days of this as I'll be venturing the Amazon rainforest. I should be able to watch the latter stages though. Decent hours for me as well.

Viva la Aussieland!

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Stan said:

What dates will he be missing from and to?

He apparently will join the Korean squad on January 13th and will miss the EFL Cup semi-final second leg against Chelsea, the fourth round of the FA Cup (if Spurs are in it) and league matches against Fulham, Watford and possibly Newcastle United (if Korea makes it to the final).

• Subscriber

Philippines' goalkeeper Neil Etheridge will only play in their opening match against South Korea and will then go back to Cardiff... So disappointing; it's their first major competition ever and they'll be missing one of their standout players for most of it. Not to mention that the other two keepers are either not fully fit or not available at all. 

Saudi squad announced 

They have a lot of small, quick technical players on the wings. They left out a lot of their old guard.

What really surprised me is that they left off guys like Al Sahlawi when their only forwards that they called up seem to be short in number. The other one has zero caps and a winger listed as a forward. 

Have to assume they are going 4-5-1 or 4-4-3 false nine.

Ryan

Risdon - Jurman - Sainsbury - Behich

Milligan

Rogic - Luongo

Kruse -------------------Leckie

Nabbout

That would be my starting 11 for Australia. Normally I would be content with Milligan as a CB, but with Mooy's injury there needs to be some work rate in there and it's Mark's original position. I don't like Kruse but without Arzani in the squad I don't see who else would take his spot. Give him a go I guess. 

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Blue said:

Ryan

Milligan

Rogic - Luongo

Nabbout

That would be my starting 11 for Australia. Normally I would be content with Milligan as a CB, but with Mooy's injury there needs to be some work rate in there and it's Mark's original position. I don't like Kruse but without Arzani in the squad I don't see who else would take his spot. Give him a go I guess. 

Leckie just picked up an injury too; his hamstring apparently. Now in doubt for the tournament as well.

Japan going with youth, 

expect them to start a team with yoshida, nagatomo, sakai and one younger guy in defense

They have experienced defenders and exciting young forward line, good move to cut the under performing veterans, not sure about inui tho.

• Administrator
15 hours ago, Blue said:

Ryan

Milligan

Rogic - Luongo

Nabbout

15 hours ago, nudge said:

Leckie just picked up an injury too; his hamstring apparently. Now in doubt for the tournament as well.

Rogic I expect to have a good tournament, given his experience and just general ability. Same with Ryan as well as he's a decent keeper for Brighton.

Bit of debate between Celtic and Australia as to when the former joins up with his team. Celtic obviously want him for the Glasgow derby on 29th Dec but Australia wanted to call him up on Boxing Day. Celtic's argument being that Australia's first game is on the 5th Jan (?) so even if Rogic does go after the 29th, he'll have enough time to be ready for their first game.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Azeem said:

Japan going with youth, 

expect them to start a team with yoshida, nagatomo, sakai and one younger guy in defense

They have experienced defenders and exciting young forward line, good move to cut the under performing veterans, not sure about inui tho. I believe they are the biggest threat to us.

-----------------Higashikuchi
Sakai----Makino----Yoshida---Nagatomo
--------------Endo-----Shibasaki
Doan-----------Minamino-----------Nakajima
-----------------------Osako

Maybe?

On 22/12/2018 at 17:46, nudge said:

Philippines' goalkeeper Neil Etheridge will only play in their opening match against South Korea and will then go back to Cardiff... So disappointing; it's their first major competition ever and they'll be missing one of their standout players for most of it. Not to mention that the other two keepers are either not fully fit or not available at all. 

Why go back ? This does count as official FIFA date or Philippines are letting him go themselves ? 

8 hours ago, Stan said:

Rogic I expect to have a good tournament, given his experience and just general ability. Same with Ryan as well as he's a decent keeper for Brighton.

Bit of debate between Celtic and Australia as to when the former joins up with his team. Celtic obviously want him for the Glasgow derby on 29th Dec but Australia wanted to call him up on Boxing Day. Celtic's argument being that Australia's first game is on the 5th Jan (?) so even if Rogic does go after the 29th, he'll have enough time to be ready for their first game.

Rogic has apparently also picked up a knock as told by my Aussie mate but I can't imagine it being as bad as Mooy's and I imagine he'll be within the tournament on time.

Rogic has been bang average for Australia but he had a decent World Cup to prove he wants to do well and isn't just coasting. I think Luongo will have one hell of a task though. As you know I highly rate Aaron Mooy and he's going to be a big miss in this tournament.

Archived