talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

In the good old days....

football forum

Before Health & Safety went a bit mad.... 

Remember these @SirBalon

Wicksteed is using National Lottery money to re-create the world's oldest playground in a bid to counter the 'snowflake generation' blighting children's playtime. Above, one of the items it wants to track down, known as the Ocean Wave

Used to get as many on there as possible including standing up on the boards facing inwards and kick yourselves round against the center pole as hard and as fast as you could while trying not to clatter yourself.. 

Or this... 

The park was founded in 1921 by engineer Charles Wicksteed, the creator of swings and slides as we know them today, as part of his vision to 'inspire and encourage play' for families' health and well-being. Pictured, another of the pieces - the plank swing - from the park

Child experts believe 21st century playtime has been curtailed by health and safety fears about youngsters hurting themselves, which has led to numbers of so-called 'snowflake' parents condemning their children to play inside. Above, children on a swing in the early 1950s

As an early entrepreneur, Charles Wicksteed started his factory in Kettering in 1876 and he designed and manufactured such varied items as the original automatic gearbox, sawing machinery and the first hydraulic hacksaw

Or these where you had a couple of you running round it pushing it so fast some of you would slide off and fall on the concrete.... xD

'If you look at the photographs of the original equipment then, they are full of people doing things which they may not be allowed to do today - but risk is a part of life and they were all having great fun,' said the founder's grandson Oliver

'Whenever you talk to people, they all have fond memories of playing in playgrounds when they were younger and the chances are the things they were playing on were made by Wicksteed,' Oliver added

Standing on the swings to get maximum height before leaping off for the longest jump.... or trying to get them so high you might flip over which ever came first.. 

Now it's all safety seats and 3 inch Black Rubber matting....:( How is anyone supposed to have fun and experience danger with that lot??? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I remember that stuff vaguely hahaha

That and many other things you just don’t see anymore.

But did you have to post them in black and white??? You couldn’t find them in colour!!! >:(xD

Yea.. righto.. B|

Black & White was the only film I had in my camera when I took them mate... 

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nudge said:

found one more, a very rare one of @Bluewolf and @SirBalon riding their motorbike before both got married and had to sell it :ph34r:

Darjr_DWsAAk8EP.jpg

Image result for olive in a sidecar

Actually we never ended up selling it but it was one of the reasons cited in our divorce papers when we split up.... He made some quite frankly ludicrous and unjustified claims that I was trying to kill him on corners... I blamed it on his weight gain tipping the balance of the bike... The judge sided with him though because he thought Balon was pregnant at the time... B|

• Haha 3

• 2 years later...
  • Subscriber
6 minutes ago, MUFC said:

I loved he roundabout. Get people to spin it full pelt. when you you were spinning at a really fast speed you'd jump off. 

Nah, the footy, wake up on a cold frosty morning with a football that had the bladder hanging out and meet your pals in the street or field, sling coats or jumpers down for goalposts and kick away, we had no football boots then just either bare feet or shoes with holes in them.

Get soaked to the skin and arrived home with cuts on your knees, black eyes where a football soaked in water and heavy as fuck hitting your face or lumps on your head from heading the ball, covered in mud and your mother screaming at you to strip off and get in the bath and your dad looking at you with a big smile on his face, those were the days.

c573050943f2a5dfe132854821abcd96.jpg

01c25e6d3eaddcae1ce8cd930f6d0616.jpg

NWSOLDLIVERPOOL1.jpg

football-on-street2.png

8b948d07eb3e528d1daa672e59f7fc91.jpg

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Nah, the footy, wake up on a cold frosty morning with a football that had the bladder hanging out and meet your pals in the street or field, sling coats or jumpers down for goalposts and kick away, we had no football boots then just either bare feet or shoes with holes in them.

Get soaked to the skin and arrived home with cuts on your knees, black eyes where a football soaked in water and heavy as fuck hitting your face or lumps on your head from heading the ball, covered in mud and your mother screaming at you to strip off and get in the bath and your dad looking at you with a big smile on his face, those were the days.

c573050943f2a5dfe132854821abcd96.jpg

01c25e6d3eaddcae1ce8cd930f6d0616.jpg

NWSOLDLIVERPOOL1.jpg

football-on-street2.png

8b948d07eb3e528d1daa672e59f7fc91.jpg

Oh days.

• Subscriber

Getting a bic pen. Taking out the inside, getting a box of matches. Grinding the end of the matches so the bit which lights up has been grind ed to dust. Then put it inside the pen and use it as a firework. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Did you ever used to make your own go-karts out of wood? Rope tied to front wheels to steer and pram wheels used for wheels.

Yep, we made them out of old pram wheels etc and go up the local hill called Chadwell Hill and belt down it having races.

afcb2824b8609cac016d173fe7f17b33.jpg

0fae6535b008a64a22bb3be527227c3d.jpg

86c3ed1b429397d7c9782b06a1fe5f12.jpg

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Getting a bic pen. Taking out the inside, getting a box of matches. Grinding the end of the matches so the bit which lights up has been grind ed to dust. Then put it inside the pen and use it as a firework. 

Never tried that one but I remember before Guy Fawkes day making a guy and wheel it around shouting "Penny for the guy", get the dosh then bloody burn him on a bonfire xD

cbe60203e062ce54c2130db93f396d62.jpg

24377b39219a77be2ec74b4f2485af1f.jpg

guy-fawkes-night.jpg

Edited by CaaC (John)
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

Just sitting here and having a natter with the wife how times have changed nowadays, years gone by when there was no telephones or you could not afford them, no internet, mobile phones, i-Pads, tablets, only black & white tv's and no live matches broadcasted then, I can remember my old man sitting beside the radio with a bottle of booze in his hand and a drum roll-up cigarette in his mouth listening to his beloved West Ham United match.

Because we had no telephone when I was a nipper people either called at the back or front door for a natter with my mum or the lady next door we called aunt Kate would bang on the wall meaning she wanted to ask my mum something or more often than not to borrow some milk or sugar so my mum would go out the back door and have a natter with her over the garden fence.

Then the old scrubbing boards, my mother washing at the kitchen sink as we could not afford a washing machine and a mangle, but the scrubbing boards made a good musical instrument. 😂

download (1).png

How to Play the Washboard as a Musical Instrument

download.png

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spelling check

On 03/06/2020 at 09:09, MUFC said:

Did you ever used to make your own go-karts out of wood? Rope tied to front wheels to steer and pram wheels used for wheels.

Used to make them with your dads tools and old pram wheels... I did put one up somewhere on here before.

• Upvote 1

On 13/04/2018 at 20:57, Dr. Gonzo said:

I used to love trying to fling myself as far off a swing as I could.

We all loved doing that, crazy thing was I was on the park with my youngest the other week and I contemplated doing it for a second and couldn't through fear of breaking my legs.

Didn't give a damn as a kid, flew through the air.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Devil said:

We all loved doing that, the crazy thing was I was on the park with my youngest the other week and I contemplated doing it for a second and couldn't through fear of breaking my legs.

Didn't give a damn as a kid, flew through the air.

Fucking deadly when we were kids, mistakenly walk behind someone on a swing and get knocked flying.

1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

Fucking deadly when we were kids, mistakenly walk behind someone on a swing and get knocked flying.

We used to build a ramp near the local brook and attempt to jump it on our bikes.

I don't remember many people ever making it across.

• Upvote 1