The better place to talk football.

In the good old days....

football forum

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/04/2018 at 18:26, Bluewolf said:

Before Health & Safety went a bit mad.... 

Remember these @SirBalon

Wicksteed is using National Lottery money to re-create the world's oldest playground in a bid to counter the 'snowflake generation' blighting children's playtime. Above, one of the items it wants to track down, known as the Ocean Wave

Used to get as many on there as possible including standing up on the boards facing inwards and kick yourselves round against the center pole as hard and as fast as you could while trying not to clatter yourself.. 

Or this... 

The park was founded in 1921 by engineer Charles Wicksteed, the creator of swings and slides as we know them today, as part of his vision to 'inspire and encourage play' for families' health and well-being. Pictured, another of the pieces - the plank swing - from the park

Child experts believe 21st century playtime has been curtailed by health and safety fears about youngsters hurting themselves, which has led to numbers of so-called 'snowflake' parents condemning their children to play inside. Above, children on a swing in the early 1950s

As an early entrepreneur, Charles Wicksteed started his factory in Kettering in 1876 and he designed and manufactured such varied items as the original automatic gearbox, sawing machinery and the first hydraulic hacksaw

Or these where you had a couple of you running round it pushing it so fast some of you would slide off and fall on the concrete.... xD

'If you look at the photographs of the original equipment then, they are full of people doing things which they may not be allowed to do today - but risk is a part of life and they were all having great fun,' said the founder's grandson Oliver

'Whenever you talk to people, they all have fond memories of playing in playgrounds when they were younger and the chances are the things they were playing on were made by Wicksteed,' Oliver added

Standing on the swings to get maximum height before leaping off for the longest jump.... or trying to get them so high you might flip over which ever came first.. 

Now it's all safety seats and 3 inch Black Rubber matting....:( How is anyone supposed to have fun and experience danger with that lot??? 

I remember in the 80's to early 90's. The slides in the parks were sky high. Health and safety meant they were reduced to a quarter of their original size.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Gen-X feels are strong with this one

Lol, I had 5 big sisters when I was young and if my mum was looking for me she would send them out in different directions looking for me either playing in the docks, local woods, local canal, Tilbury fort etc, one of them would find me. xD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Bloody hell, nowadays we have a remote controll and if that plays up we will scream blue murder as we have to shift our arses of the sofa and go and fix the tv by hand. xD

Are you still living in that time period of the picture xD 

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

Love looking back to when we were wee nippers, no tv, mobiles, internet, we just kept ourselves happy making our own games outdoors, I looked forward to the school holidays or wagging school with your mate and heading up to the local woods.

Conkers

_78067904_conkerfightgetty.jpg

Marbles or 'Miggies', either dig a hole and try and knock your marble in it, you could tell your own marble by the size or colour or make a circle and knock the marble out.

download (1).png

download.png

The best times for me were making a go-cart out old pram or pusher wheels

download (2).png

86c3ed1b429397d7c9782b06a1fe5f12--fruit-box-gokart.jpg

611IsataxJL._AC_ (1).jpg

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Stan said:

Are you still living in that time period of the picture xD 

I can remember getting a tv with a remote control that was plugged into the back of the tv with a cable running across the floor and plugged into the remote in your hands, I thought that was great until the wife nearly tripped over the cable and yelled christ out of me. xD

On 03/02/2022 at 10:47, CaaC (John) said:

Old time dustbin days, the good old tin ones with a lid, the dustman using his shoulder to empty them. xD

download.png

download (1).png

I think dustbin men use to get some serious back injuries. I think it's good they dont use them anymore. I can remember the old plastic bins from when I was young 

3 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Ours were tin bins with lids.

I think they were replaced by plastic bins that you picked up then the weekly bins came in from what I remember 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
10 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

An Image From Thatchers Britain Children jumping onto mattresses at Ashfield Valley estate, Rochdale, England in the 1980s

The 80's where you could jump from floors of abandoned flats onto a big pile of mattresses.... 

Are you in the picture? I need to know as I'm trying to figure out if this is the 1980s or the 1880s. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

An Image From Thatchers Britain Children jumping onto mattresses at Ashfield Valley estate, Rochdale, England in the 1980s

The 80's where you could jump from floors of abandoned flats onto a big pile of mattresses.... 

Used to jump out our 2nd-floor bedroom window to the lawn below with no mattresses.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Are you in the picture? I need to know as I'm trying to figure out if this is the 1980s or the 1880s. :ph34r:

Not me.... cameras had not been invented when we were jumping off buildings.. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Used to jump out our 2nd-floor bedroom window to the lawn below with no mattresses.

Used to jump from the garage onto the lawn. Back then you'd always be taking shortcuts which meant you'd be climbing walls and jumping from them.