talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

In the good old days....

football forum

2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Used to jump out our 2nd-floor bedroom window to the lawn below with no mattresses.

1 minute ago, MUFC said:

Used to jump from the garage onto the lawn. Back then you'd always be taking shortcuts which meant you'd be climbing walls and jumping from them.

We used to wait until the council came and cut all the grass and then piled it all up and used to jump off the garage roof one after another.. 

• Sad 1

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Jumped out the bedroom window when I got caught by the Bobby on his Bike fighting and pulled me home by the ear and handed me over to my mum, she gave me a clip round the ear and sent me to my bedroom.

Thus I jumped out the window and met up with my pals, luck was not on my side this time as the same Bobby caught me again, dragged me home by the ear again and then I got another clip around the ear by my mum and told to sit in the lounge where she could keep an eye on me. O.o

download (1).png

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Jumped out the bedroom window when I got caught by the Bobby on his Bike fighting and pulled me home by the ear and handed me over to my mum, she gave me a clip round the ear and sent me to my bedroom.

Thus I jumped out the window and met up with my pals, luck was not on my side this time as the same Bobby caught me again, dragged me home by the ear again and then I got another clip around the ear by my mum and told to sit in the lounge where she could keep an eye on me. O.o

download (1).png

Jesus... A local Bobby on his bike, policing used to be better then in my opinion as they knew everyone in the area and sort of guided you away from trouble if they could.. I remember when I got my first 'Fizzy50' and I rode it up to the school to show off to my mates and our local Bobby was at the station and he came over to take a look, I thought NO!!! , I was totally illegal at the time, no tax, insurance or licence  He gave it the once over and said "nice bike, that will be worth a nick later..." I took the hint and fucked off sharpish.. xD Still used to ride it around the streets at night though with my mates and down all the back ally's and stuff just not so much during the day.. B|

Edited by Bluewolf
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Her: I only date bad boys. 

Me: 

5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Still used to ride it around the streets at night though with my mates and down all the back ally's and stuff just not so much during the day.. B|

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

For those of you who worked years and years ago. Were you working when you were allowed to smoke in offices/factories? If yes, what was it like lighting up on the job? 

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Jesus... A local Bobby on his bike, policing used to be better then in my opinion as they knew everyone in the area and sort of guided you away from trouble if they could.

True, the area we lived in was close-knit and everyone else knew each other, no CCTV cameras as such in them days we all watched out for each other.

The local Bobby on his Bike was a mate of my old man's and would drink with him at the old Tilbury Dock pub thus I tried to make sure to avoid him if I could as if I did something wrong he would give me a clip round the ear or a kick up the arse and tell me "Wait until I see your dad...", I knew then that my old man would give me a clip or kick too.

Today's police if they did anything like that nowadays they would be reported and more or less lose their jobs.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, MUFC said:

For those of you who worked years and years ago. Were you working when you were allowed to smoke in offices/factories? If yes, what was it like lighting up on the job? 

Me and @Bluewolf only liked smoking outside with our pipes. :coffee:

download (1).png

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Yea.. back in the day you could smoke anywhere, At your desk, on the bus, while you were doing a job etc.. just anywhere you fancied really there were no rules then... You used to get sent to the local off licence by your mum to pick up fags and they served you even though you were only 10 years old... it was either that or have the embarrassment of watching her walk up there herself on a Sunday night in a dressing gown, slippers and curlers... 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I remember people smoking on airplanes and trains when I was a kid. Seems surreal now. 

And cinemas... if you looked up you could see the projection light going to the screen there was so much smoke in the air.. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

And cinemas... if you looked up you could see the projection light going to the screen there was so much smoke in the air.. 

And pubs. In some states here in Germany, it's still allowed to smoke in pubs that only serve drinks. Coming from a state where it's been banned for years, it's a surreal throwback experience. xD

• Like 1

Just now, Tommy said:

And pubs. In some states here in Germany, it's still allowed to smoke in pubs that only serve drinks. Coming from a state where it's been banned for years, it's a surreal throwback experience. xD

Really?? that's surprising, you can't do that here now, you have to go outside for a smoke and some of the bigger pubs have special smoking areas with seating and heating etc but it's all outside.. 

• Administrator

I'm so glad smoking got banned from internal areas. I remember walking into pubs with my brother or dad and the stench just hit as soon you opened the door. 

5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Really?? that's surprising, you can't do that here now, you have to go outside for a smoke and some of the bigger pubs have special smoking areas with seating and heating etc but it's all outside.. 

Yup. Just read up on it. Only three states (Northrine-Westphalia, Bavaria and Saarland) have banned it completely. In the 13 other states, it's still allowed in adjoining rooms (In Restaurants) or in pubs that don't exceed a certain size. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yup. Just read up on it. Only three states (Northrine-Westphalia, Bavaria and Saarland) have banned it completely. In the 13 other states, it's still allowed in adjoining rooms (In Restaurants) or in pubs that don't exceed a certain size. 

There was talk a couple of years back about trying to make it illegal to smoke in your own back yard over here... xD Might get to the stage where little underground smoking pubs are needed like when prohibition was around but for smokers... 

• Haha 2

• Subscriber

I remember when they banned smoking on the lower deck of the bus and you could only smoke upstairs, get on the bus early morning to go to work and the lower deck was full so you made your way upstairs and it was like walking into a fog, smoke everywhere, you couldn't see a seat and people were coughing and spluttering and the smoke stinging your eyes.

Then they banned smoking in buses and the bus driver had to go upstairs as he knew people that got on the bus and headed straight upstairs were going to the back of the bus to have a sly cigarette, hear a load of shouting and some guy coming down the stairs telling the bus driver to "FUCK OFF..."  then storming off the bus. xD 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Tommy said:

I stopped smoking years ago, and I also understand why it was banned in most of indoor public venues, but for me, a pub/bar room full of smoke is part of the atmosphere and it's just not the same without it xD 

• Upvote 1

Family

This one makes me laugh because a long while back when we were up in the loft moving stuff about my youngest daughter who was in her teens back then found some of my old 45's and thought they were black CD's and she asked me what they were for... xD

• Haha 4

On 08/05/2022 at 03:35, Waylander said:

That is very clever and I find I am the CD Man above, know about MP3 stuff etc yet haven't got the slightest bit of interest in exploring it............

MP3s are a bit outdated too now - the latest trend is streaming music through services like Spotify/Apple Music/Google Play. It's a bit weird because you don't own the music, like you do with CDs, vinyl, even MP3s (even though typically MP3s are stolen, you still have ownership of the files) - you pay for access to the licenses that those services have acquired.

But it lets you go around with an absolute massive music library with your mobile - basically everything off every big recording label. And artists still get paid (but it's not very much) - unlike most people's MP3 downloads (although some people do pay for MP3s).

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

MP3s are a bit outdated too now - the latest trend is streaming music through services like Spotify/Apple Music/Google Play. It's a bit weird because you don't own the music, like you do with CDs, vinyl, even MP3s (even though typically MP3s are stolen, you still have ownership of the files) - you pay for access to the licenses that those services have acquired.

But it lets you go around with an absolute massive music library with your mobile - basically everything off every big recording label. And artists still get paid (but it's not very much) - unlike most people's MP3 downloads (although some people do pay for MP3s).

I guessed MP3 was probably out of date yet did not have a clue what had replaced it.

I often buy nieces and nephews itune cards though what they do with I can only guess though they always seem pleased. 

• Upvote 1

On 08/05/2022 at 12:35, Waylander said:

yet haven't got the slightest bit of interest in exploring it............

Why though? That's how you get left behind. I hope I'll never be one of those older people who are unwilling to change and learn about new stuff.