The better place to talk football.

In the good old days....

football forum

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/07/2022 at 21:46, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think the German Woolworth became independent from the rest of the Woolworth brand right around the time things got shit for Woolworth and they all closed, so they still exist. I think they still exist in some other countries, but not in the UK anymore at all.

I dunno if it's true but I remember my grandad saying that Woolworth invented Christmas ornaments. So while they're gone, they definitely made Christmas look more festive... so they'll always have that (unless it's not true, in which case... wtf why did my grandad lie to me).

I remember as a kid probably '73-'74 Woolworth's had a 'pick and mix', where you had a paper bag you could fill up with any assortment of sweets you liked for a small fixed price. 

It was a real treat when you were allowed to do this, always remember bizarrely the pink chocolate mice that I never chose. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I know some parents insist in smacking but most experts think it does psychological damage 

Never did our two any harm growing up if they misbehaved, a good smack on the backside or around the legs, kids are lucky nowadays, you just have to touch them with your little finger and then someone reports you.

At school, misbehave then it was either the cane or strap or a good old cuff around the ear by your mum or dad.

If getting caught by the local bobby on his bike doing something bad like scrumping or smashing windows in old abandoned houses, if you saw him riding towards you, you scarpered quick smart.

download.png

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spelling check

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

Never did our two any harm growing up if they misbehaved, a good smack on the backside or around the legs, kids are lucky nowadays, you just have to touch them with your little finger nowadays and then someone reports you.

At school, misbehave then it was either the cane or strap or a good old cuff around the ear by your mum or dad.

If getting caught by the local bobby on his bike doing something bad like scrumping or smashing windows in old abandoned houses, if you saw him riding towards you, you scarpered quick smart.

download.png

That policeman looks like he's in some Monty Python sketch xD 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I know some parents insist in smacking but most experts think it does psychological damage 

Well I tell you what I learned from getting a thick ear back in the day... Respect

If you gave your parents lip you got punished for it, I remember falling out with my old man once and he chased me out the house and because I was faster than him he picked up a crate of empty milk bottles on the doorstep and hurled them at me... xD Getting the belt was also high on the agenda if you ever brought trouble to the door... 

If you gave seniors any lip at school you could also expect to be on the floor nursing a big fat lip.... back in my day they were known as the school hard nuts, mouth off at them and pay the price.. If you were silly enough to give any lip to senior citizens then you were in proper trouble, most of the men were ex army and the women ex boxers and they were not afraid to dish it out or drag you home by your ear.. then you got double trouble

It taught me to respect people older than me and it has served me well over the years.. All them punishments, wether it was a thick ear, the belt, the cane at school or just a plain old slap kept me grounded in life, It meant I couldn't just do what I wanted or say whatever I liked just because I felt like it and I don't believe that I have any adverse phycological damage as a result... 

Stress Wtf GIF

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Well I tell you what I learned from getting a thick ear back in the day... Respect

Even our son & daughter say to the grandsons "You are lucky you were not granddads kids, misbehave and you would get a swipe around the ear or the back of the legs and granny would tan your arse with her open hand".

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Never did our two any harm growing up if they misbehaved, a good smack on the backside or around the legs, kids are lucky nowadays, you just have to touch them with your little finger and then someone reports you.

download.png

No offence John  but you are looking at it small term. Opinions of people who haven't studied these things on a large scale arent worth as much as experts who have are they?

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

If you gave your parents lip you got punished for it, I remember falling out with my old man once and he chased me out the house and because I was faster than him he picked up a crate of empty milk bottles on the doorstep and hurled them at me... xD Getting the belt was also high on the agenda if you ever brought trouble to the door... 

If you gave seniors any lip at school you could also expect to be on the floor nursing a big fat lip.... back in my day they were known as the school hard nuts, mouth off at them and pay the price.. If you were silly enough to give any lip to senior citizens then you were in proper trouble, most of the men were ex army and the women ex boxers and they were not afraid to dish it out or drag you home by your ear.. then you got double trouble

It taught me to respect people older than me and it has served me well over the years.. All them punishments, wether it was a thick ear, the belt, the cane at school or just a plain old slap kept me grounded in life, It meant I couldn't just do what I wanted or say whatever I liked just because I felt like it and I don't believe that I have any adverse phycological damage as a result... 

Stress Wtf GIF

Like I said to john you are looking at it small scale. Some people will get smacked and it wont do them damage but it increases your chances in general. You teach respect to people without hitting them. 

1 minute ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Like I said to john you are looking at it small scale. Some people will get smacked and it wont do them damage but it increases your chances in general. You teach respect to people without hitting them. 

I am indeed, just based on my own experience.. can't vouch for others

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

That's clearly the rear though, not the dash. 

fake-news.gif

Here's the original:

1960-Chevy-Corvair-Baby-Cradle-ad.jpg

Both pictures come from the same article though??? 

1960’s Chevy Infant Storage Solution ~ Vintage Everyday

Don't try and ruin my Sunday with your early morning nonsense... Shouldn't you be in church about now anyway??? 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2022 at 03:34, Tommy said:

That's clearly the rear though, not the dash. 

fake-news.gif

Here's the original:

1960-Chevy-Corvair-Baby-Cradle-ad.jpg

It also says rear engine. That part of the car is often referred to as the rear dash, mate.I know it doesn’t make sense but that’s case. Also the  sometimes called rear deck.

• Subscriber

Sitting here this morning flicking the tv over looking for something to watch and then I spotted...

1.png

2.png

3.png

The good old days when I was a wee nipper, then me and the wife started singing along to the title song playing...xD

download.png

We are both over 70 years old now but shows like that still bring us back memory-wise to when we were young and loved tv in its black-and-white glory.