talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Fernando Santos Doubts Portugal's Chances

Fernando Santos has revealed who he believes are the five favourites to win the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ – and his Portugal side, despite being the reigning European champions and boasting The Best FIFA Men’s Player holder Cristiano Ronaldo, are not among them.

“For me, the favourites are Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina and France,” the 63-year-old told Blog Ora Bolas. “I say this due to the enormous strength in depth they have and the extraordinary quality of their teams, in addition to their experience on the big stages and success.

“We know that we’re not the favourites and we accept the favouritism of the other teams, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have ambition and the clear goal of going into each match to win.

“We are a very strong group, cohesive. We are humble, but we know we have quality. We don’t have the intention of thinking we’re better than everyone else, but we believe greatly in our quality and know we’ll be difficult to beat.”

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking off the pressure from the players. Understandable.

The badge we're wearing on the shirt might be a bit heavy for some, so it's best to just go 'partido a partido', like Simeone would say, and try to go as far as we can.

Personally, I think our road will end at the semis. But we'll see.

The list of 23 will be revealed the 17th.

Archived