talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga President Backs Real's Refusal of Guard of Honour For Barcelona

• Administrator

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/real-madrid/story/3460038/real-madrid-honouring-barcelona-would-be-humiliation-javier-tebas

La Liga president Javier Tebas has said he understands why Real Madrid will not form a guard of honour for Barcelona in next month's Clasico.

Since Athletic Bilbao honoured Atletico Madrid in 1970, teams have acknowledged the achievement of the Liga winners with a pasillo -- two lines of players welcoming the champions onto the pitch.

But Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane said his side would not do so at the Camp Nou on May 6, by which time Barca are expected to have secured the title.

Tebas told AS: "I would have liked for the tradition to have been maintained.

"But if it's to humiliate a rival, I don't like it. I prefer it to be left to one side for some time until we return to having common sense.

"It's a decision by the clubs. But what I sense is that it's not a homage to the champions but rather, especially with Barca and Madrid, a humiliation."

Zidane was annoyed when Barca decided against the gesture at the Bernabeu in December following Madrid's Club World Cup win, saying they had "broken the tradition."

Barcelona said they would only do a pasillo in the same tournament as the current champion.

The most recent pasillo between the two rivals dates back to 2007-08 at the Camp Nou, when Barca honoured a Madrid side who had won the title the previous weekend.

Madrid had done the same when, on June 8, 1991, Barcelona arrived at the Bernabeu as champions.

Barca are 11 points clear of nearest rivals Atletico Madrid at the top of La Liga, with six games remaining.

is it humiliation, or lack of respect?

• The title was changed to La Liga President Backs Real's Refusal of Guard of Honour For Barcelona
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh fuck right off. Fairly certain the likes of Ramos and Ronaldo also had a word in Zidane's ear about it. 

Barcelona had no issues in doing so? Why the hell is it any different? And since when did they do the guard of honor for the club world cup? Jesus wept the state of Real Madrid. 

ae491f2cecc84dac9449fcbc09f95e79.jpg

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Oh fuck right off. Fairly certain the likes of Ramos and Ronaldo also had a word in Zidane's ear about it. 

Barcelona had no issues in doing so? Why the hell is it any different? And since when did they do the guard of honor for the club world cup? Jesus wept the state of Real Madrid. 

ae491f2cecc84dac9449fcbc09f95e79.jpg

That did seem a bit daft if you are going to expect that for other things you win???  

I always think it's just a decent sportsman like gesture in recognition of that teams efforts for the season but you couldn't compare a long season haul against a World Club Cup Win can you.. It sounds like a bit of a tit for tat mentality going on and a little bitter and envious from my point of view and a rather sad excuse for not keeping the tradition going.. 

I think we should stop doing it as well if teams that win the FA or League Cup are not given the same treatment for winning that if this is how we are going forward.. 

• Subscriber

I think it should only be done for domestic league honour and nothing else. Having said that Real Madrid can go fuck themselves if they think they are doing the 'right thing' here. Its a tradition and I hope the rest of the clubs in the league turn the other way when they go and win it ahead of the end of the season. I get that Zidane is upset that everyone isn't celebrating their victories and fair play to him but that's totally unsportsmans-like and if he felt so strongly about it why didn't he make a formal appeal to the league so that it doesn't happen again?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Can you imagine Manchester United forming a guard of honour for Liverpool or Manchester City? Barcelona let themselves down by doing it in Madrid.

xD don't be silly. it'll never get to a stage that they have to :ph34r: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Just now, The Palace Fan said:

So, its back in the news again, should Real Madrid give Barcelona a guard of honour during this weekend's Clasico?

I think they should. And I'd say the same if Barca were visiting the Santiago Bernabeu had Real just won the league. 

Just a matter of respect for fellow professionals I'd say, despite any rivalry.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think they should. And I'd say the same if Barca were visiting the Santiago Bernabeu had Real just won the league. 

Just a matter of respect for fellow professionals I'd say, despite any rivalry.

Imagine Ronaldo and Ramos doing it. Their ego's will be shattered. 

5 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

"If a guard of honour after winning a trophy is a tradition then Barcelona broke it so we won't do it at the Camp Nou and that's my decision," he said.

BARCELONA BROKE A TRADITION!

Tradition - The transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation 

Name another time in history there was a guard of honor for a club that won the Club World Cup 

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Club world cup is mickey mouse. 

Basically a nice chance for players from lesser leagues to have a go against some big name players. 

Only for arrogant people that support European clubs. I'm afraid Harry, it's actually taken quite seriously outside of Europe.

It's been debated before without the subject ever having its own thread. It seems to have popped out of all sorts of different debates but never had a dedicated one.

Here in Europe the World Club Cup is indeed seen as a Mickey Mouse trophy and to be honest it's difficult to put a comparison scale on it so as to value winning it.

I'll measure it this way from my stand point...

I was in Italy two years ago during the period the World Club Cup was on and they didn't show it.  I asked why not as I wanted to watch a bit of footy and they said they only showed it if an Italian side was in it.  Much the same as in Spain I thought when they told me that.  In Spain they only show it if a Spanish side is in it.

I think that in itself says a lot...

I would say that the World Club Cup has the same value in Spain as the Supercopa de España has due to the exposure both competitions get is more or less the same with the media. It lasts abouts two days and then dies away.

If you win it you're happy and the next day you've forgotten about it.  If you lose, you almost instantly forget about it in the knowledge that this particular competition is 100% a publicity tool for European clubs to put the club name in lights even more in continents where it matters.

If Real Madrid were playing El Clásico three days later in La Liga after the World Club Cup Final, I can assure you blindly that the rotations would be made in the FIFA inspired tournament and not the all important league game.

In Latin America it's massive!  I've never met a Latin American that doesn't regard the FIFA WCC as something more than just special and in some cases they would value winning that more than the value they give to winning the Copa Libertadores. I mean... Let's not forget it was once called the Intercontinental Cup and they (FIFA) changed the name for a reason.

As for Real Madrid CF not wanting to do the Guard of Honour... xD (that's how I feel)

I think it's hilariousl!

It's not all that important and indeed it's only a tradition that has been used for winning La Liga and nothing else.  It gets done the following game by the opposition be they whoever they may be.  But the fact that Real Madrid have decided not to do it takes away any higher plain they hold themselves in in their ridiculous and unwarranted "Señorío" rubbish that gets banded about with them.  They have nothing to say now!

Had they been clever, they'd have done it.

9 hours ago, Spike said:

Only for arrogant people that support European clubs. I'm afraid Harry, it's actually taken quite seriously outside of Europe.

For the European clubs themselves. 

To europe's best clubs its like the league cup. They can't actually say its not important to them. But it's pretty obvious its not a priority. 

Archived