talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga President Backs Real's Refusal of Guard of Honour For Barcelona

15 hours ago, Spike said:

Only for arrogant people that support European clubs. I'm afraid Harry, it's actually taken quite seriously outside of Europe.

They should just go back to having the intercontinental cup where the winners of the Champions League face the winners of the Copa Libertadores.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It is mickey mouse to be fair, it's two game competition where at least one opponent is of a poor standard, it cannot be compared to a league triumph.

The final itself is interesting I think as it's not everyday you get to see Barcelona vs River Plate or Man United vs Palmeiras, for example. But the competition itself is a farce. The Intercontinental Cup was better.

A load of shit, just as bad as not celebrating against a former club. Just get on with the game, ban it.

If they said we aren't doing it because it's a load of shit (especially against your biggest rivals!), then fair enough, but because they've said the worthless world club cup as the reason it makes them look more stupid

14 hours ago, SirBalon said:

It's been debated before without the subject ever having its own thread. It seems to have popped out of all sorts of different debates but never had a dedicated one.

Here in Europe the World Club Cup is indeed seen as a Mickey Mouse trophy and to be honest it's difficult to put a comparison scale on it so as to value winning it.

I'll measure it this way from my stand point...

I was in Italy two years ago during the period the World Club Cup was on and they didn't show it.  I asked why not as I wanted to watch a bit of footy and they said they only showed it if an Italian side was in it.  Much the same as in Spain I thought when they told me that.  In Spain they only show it if a Spanish side is in it.

I think that in itself says a lot...

I would say that the World Club Cup has the same value in Spain as the Supercopa de España has due to the exposure both competitions get is more or less the same with the media. It lasts abouts two days and then dies away.

If you win it you're happy and the next day you've forgotten about it.  If you lose, you almost instantly forget about it in the knowledge that this particular competition is 100% a publicity tool for European clubs to put the club name in lights even more in continents where it matters.

If Real Madrid were playing El Clásico three days later in La Liga after the World Club Cup Final, I can assure you blindly that the rotations would be made in the FIFA inspired tournament and not the all important league game.

In Latin America it's massive!  I've never met a Latin American that doesn't regard the FIFA WCC as something more than just special and in some cases they would value winning that more than the value they give to winning the Copa Libertadores. I mean... Let's not forget it was once called the Intercontinental Cup and they (FIFA) changed the name for a reason.

This is so true. In Europe it may be considered a Mickey Mouse tournament, but here it´s the most important trophy a club can win.

I think the way we think is wrong, because we end up devaluating our own tournaments because of it. Europeans top clubs are on reality of their own, gone are the days a south american club can match the talent fielded by the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona.

The last time a south american club actually played better football than a european club in a final was in 1999. Ironically, United beat Palmeiras that day, even though they were dominated during most of the match. Boca Juniors tried to attack Milan in 2007 and it blew on their faces, Milan easily beat them.

2 hours ago, El_Loco said:

This is so true. In Europe it may be considered a Mickey Mouse tournament, but here it´s the most important trophy a club can win.

I think the way we think is wrong, because we end up devaluating our own tournaments because of it. Europeans top clubs are on reality of their own, gone are the days a south american club can match the talent fielded by the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona.

The last time a south american club actually played better football than a european club in a final was in 1999. Ironically, United beat Palmeiras that day, even though they were dominated during most of the match. Boca Juniors tried to attack Milan in 2007 and it blew on their faces, Milan easily beat them.

Indeed... I argued this exact point some years back with a cousin of my mum that was born and continues to live in Buenos Aires...  I argued that this odd craze for the WCC was devaluing their own competitions, most namely the Copa Libertadores. The way he was debating with me was in a manner that the Libertadores was just a means to be able to compete for the World Club Cup. I found that astounding and there was no way to make him understand what I meant by it all because he kept on returning with the phrase, "It the competition that marks the world champions".  I would just respond with the fact that in Europe we couldn't care less about that accolade because it didn't feel realistic and above all else, authentic.

Carles Puyol 2008 - I do not want to do the pasillo at the Bernabeu, but as a sportsman you have to recognise the champions and we will

Sergio Ramos 2018 - What Zidane says goes. There won't be a pasillo. They have their title. That is enough 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Carles Puyol 2008 - I do not want to do the pasillo at the Bernabeu, but as a sportsman you have to recognise the champions and we will

Sergio Ramos 2018 - What Zidane says goes. There won't be a pasillo. They have their title. That is enough 

Not even Raúl who was one of the most diplomatic of the Real Madrid contingent in modern history would've said that and I respect Raúl a lot. Real Madrid have the absence of the man that made everything the club stands for and would've spoken out on something like this which was Alfredo di Stéfano.  Puyol wasn't just one of the great players in history. 

22 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Yeah, I think it's a bit pathetic from Madrid here. Seems as though they've got some very fragile egos.

4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Deportivo gave one before the game the other day and they have just been relegated.

And under the way the tradition has always been done they didn’t have to do it as Barcelona needed minimum 1 point. That’s señorio

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

How ridiculous, what kind of message does that give out about the game.

It is ridiculous on the face of it but I think Deportivo were sending a message to both the LFP and the RFEF who they have been at war with for various years. After what the LFP president Javier Tebas said, they took the opportunity to show a part of the traditional values Spanish football has and which are being torn apart by all.

Archived