talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Ask Fans to Rate Sam Allardyce

• Subscriber

Some laughable opinions in this thread as always but I'm not going to respond to them once again. People will believe what they're going to believe.

Been busy this week but came on here to comment on what has blown up into a pretty embarrassing story.

I don't feel sorry for Allardyce, I almost do but I'm too sick of his shit to be capable of feeling any sympathy towards him since his "we were below West Brom when I took over but look at us now" comments.

However, if I was capable of feeling any sympathy for the man, I would over this. Imagine being the manager of the football club and your bosses asking the public who mostly know fuck all about football to judge your management? I think it's cowardly from the club and I have a number of criticisms here:

It's their job to run the football club. While I appreciate the fact that they're trying to include the fans voice or at least give the appearance that they are, this isn't the way in my opinion. I accept many counter arguments including the fact that it's good they're trying to include the fans, they may well do this every year and the differing circumstances and social media presence have made it a bigger deal this year, maybe.

Bottom line is though, they could easily look at the dozens of existing polls on Twitter and other fan sites to get an idea of the Allardyce approval rating, not to mention the fans that actually go to the game and make themselves heard. This was needless and naive from whoever's idea it was.

It's embarrassing now having Sam have to come out and pretend it's a marketing mistake when in reality he probably thinks the people above him have no idea what they're doing, and to be frank things like this give me fresh concerns that the new management isn't learning much from previous minor indiscretions that have brought embarrassment upon them like the Lukaku comments a few months back.

Finally, if you're looking for a new manager to come in this summer, and preferably one with a decent reputation, given the social media frenzy an opportunity to whip up a story like this one is pretty stupid, admittedly in hindsight.

As for the results, Allardyce has done what he was brought in to do but by the bear minimum of what was satisfactory and in pretty much the absolute worst manner possible. The argument isn't about whether he's done his job for this season but whether he's equipped to stay for the summer and onwards and take the club forward, and for that question the answer is that we've seen little, pretty much no evidence of him having that potential. For this season you can rate him a 6/10 if you have to but if I'm rating him on how much I trust him and his coaching staff to take the club forward I'm being generous if he gets a 3.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I'm actually warming to him, best WUM the league has had in ages.

If he stays he needs a couple of major scalps against top six sides. He beat Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal for us so he's more than capable of doing it.

Since his appointment youve been sixth best team in The PL, and with the uncertainty at Arsenal i can see how he could produce a case to the owners to stay.

• Subscriber

I'm making myself come around to another year of Allardyce if the best alternative at the moment is Marco Silva who I think is the biggest fraud in management at the moment.

We won't challenge the top six under Sam but I'd be more than confident that next season he'd establish us as the comfortable best of the rest in 7th barring a big surprise package (in the ilk of Pardew's Newcastle not Dyche's Burnley who even this season we should have comfortably beaten). This isn't the worst position we could put ourselves in in 13 months' time.

4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I love this statement, not one Evertonian has said this but y'know, bantz 'n all.

Haha I know, you were all buzzing with your transfer window though and supposed to be threatening the top six, at worst a clear 7th. With regards to Allardyce, unfortunately, I don't think most of your fans are thinking like Rando though

• Subscriber
55 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Why is Marco Silva a 'fraud'? Do you know what 'fraud' means?

Relegated with Hull but praised for almost not going down. Sacked by Watford with the convenient excuse of blaming the unsettling Everton approach to distract from the fact that the form of his side plummeted after a few months for the second time in the space of a year in the Premier League. Not exactly "top six" calibre any more than Allardyce. He's an absolute Martinez. His sides can't defend for toffee and he relies on outscoring the opposition with what fans at first call "great attacking football" until a few teams figure out how to stop them and exploit their non existent defence.

46 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

This is fantastic if blues are coming around to accepting Allardyce for another season. Some fall after winning the transfer window nearly 12 months ago

Swallow all the rhetoric you want. Whether it's Allardyce or Guardiola, I'll personally stick to dealing with facts and the fact is Allardyce has done a good job this season to get us where he has in spite of the dip in the middle. His signings of Walcott and Tosun improved the squad and like others mentioned we've had the 6th most points in the league since he took over.

I am not backtracking on my stance that there is absolutely 0% chance that he's the man to take us forward but if nobody half decent is available this season then I'd rather see us stabilise under Allardyce for a season and go into next summer as a solid 7th placed side with a decent war chest than take a punt on someone like Silva or another "fancy" manager where there's a good chance we end up having another season like this one.

10 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Relegated with Hull but praised for almost not going down. Sacked by Watford with the convenient excuse of blaming the unsettling Everton approach to distract from the fact that the form of his side plummeted after a few months for the second time in the space of a year in the Premier League. Not exactly "top six" calibre any more than Allardyce. He's an absolute Martinez. His sides can't defend for toffee and he relies on outscoring the opposition with what fans at first call "great attacking football" until a few teams figure out how to stop them and exploit their non existent defence.

Swallow all the rhetoric you want. Whether it's Allardyce or Guardiola, I'll personally stick to dealing with facts and the fact is Allardyce has done a good job this season to get us where he has in spite of the dip in the middle. His signings of Walcott and Tosun improved the squad and like others mentioned we've had the 6th most points in the league since he took over.

I am not backtracking on my stance that there is absolutely 0% chance that he's the man to take us forward but if nobody half decent is available this season then I'd rather see us stabilise under Allardyce for a season and go into next summer as a solid 7th placed side with a decent war chest than take a punt on someone like Silva or another "fancy" manager where there's a good chance we end up having another season like this one.

Stabilise? Why would Everton need stabilising? Barring the top sides, they’re the most stable of the rest of the Premier League and the bunting around Goodison ‘celebrating’ the fact they don’t get relegated is testament to that. This isn’t a Bournemouth, a Swansea or a Brighton, who need stability and live constantly looking over their shoulder.

Accepting Allardyce is accepting mediocrity, for me. He’s done his job. He’s taken Everton from lower mid-table mediocrity to a bit higer mid-table mediocrity but can he do any better than that with Everton? 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Stabilise? Why would Everton need stabilising? Barring the top sides, they’re the most stable of the rest of the Premier League and the bunting around Goodison ‘celebrating’ the fact they don’t get relegated is testament to that. This isn’t a Bournemouth, a Swansea or a Brighton, who need stability and live constantly looking over their shoulder.

Accepting Allardyce is accepting mediocrity, for me. He’s done his job. He’s taken Everton from lower mid-table mediocrity to a bit higer mid-table mediocrity but can he do any better than that with Everton? 

I'm not accepting Allardyce or saying I want him to stay, and I'm certainly not saying that he takes us anywhere significant, but noises around the club are that he might be given the chance to see out his contract and while it won't be popular, if a young manager with a different name had achieved the results he has overall this season nobody would be talking about whether or not he should stay for next year and in fact people would probably be getting carried away with comments like "a couple of smart signings this summer and Everton could challenge the top six next season'.

All I'm saying is that if he is to stay, it might not be the end of the world because I don't see how anyone else beats us to 7th next season under him even if the football is hard to take and I don't think we'll be in a position to challenge the top six with or without him. If there's a Fonseca or someone interested who can come in and start working on a multi year project then great get him in, but if we're looking at wildcards like Marco Silva or Mike Arteta I just don't think it's worth the risk of throwing us back into the uncertainty of mid table when the potential payoff next season isn't going to be above 7th and hopefully Europe which Allardyce can get us anyway and in doing so make us more attractive to a potential manager next summer.

12 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

You say 'relegated with Hull' as if he came into a situation where Hull had a chance of survival. Hull City 16/17 were probably the worsr squad in terms of size/talent/preparation ever to be in the top flight. He did a superb job to even make us respectable, let alone give us a shot at staying up. Ultimately we fell short, an inexplicable loss to Sunderland was the straw but you won't find many critics who actually watched what he did closely. Other than Watford his managerial record is brilliant, fraud is not the word youre looking for.

With Allardyce it is not just about results, his whole insidiuous character gnaws away at clubs and he never leaves a good legacy for new managers. He has to go, Silva or not, I cannot believe Everton fans would see this cancer stay on.

8 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Yeah, Silva isn't as bad as people are making him out to be for me. The only reason that I am cautious about signing him is because of how he threw a massive tantrum when Watford wouldn't let him speak with us. I don't know if that is the kind of character that we want at the club, say we end up in the Champions League in a few years and a Madrid or Bayern come knocking? I don't know, I'd like to have someone with a bit of loyalty than someone who is quick to throw his toys out of the pram. 

His relegation at Hull shouldn't really be on his CV for me, they were absolutely awful until he came in and the fact that he gave them a glimmer of hope deserves applause. Wasn't that the season they started with something like 13 senior players?!

mr_chang_senor_chang_laugh_spits_milk.gi

56 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Yeah, Silva isn't as bad as people are making him out to be for me. The only reason that I am cautious about signing him is because of how he threw a massive tantrum when Watford wouldn't let him speak with us. I don't know if that is the kind of character that we want at the club,

To be fair your current manager 'retired' last summer.

Loyalty isn't a two way street. If Everton make the top four with anybody you should be prepared to accept you may lose them, in the same way any manager should accept they'll get sacked for being set for a bottom half finish.

Archived