talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Accrington Stanley Promoted to League One

football forum

• Administrator

With 4 games to spare Accrington are promoted to League One!

When Luton were 1st on New Years' Day, Accrington Stanley were 11 points behind them in 7th place. 

A fantastic run of form int he 2nd half of the season has seen them rise to the top - they've picked up 35 points since Feb 1st and they haven't lost since end a week before that date. 

Brilliant achievement for them considering they were nearly down and out as a football club earlier this decade. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AS I said on the FL week topic, I am absolutely delighted for them.

We used to go and see Stanley whenever Rovers were away at the other end of the country. Started going I think in 2002, and can remember them playing the likes of Marine, Wakefield & Emley, Runcorn FC Halton and Gainsborough Trinity. Never in a million years did I ever think they would get out of non-league, let alone win the Conference, stay up for 12 years with a stadium the size of a fucking tennis court and a budget of £250, get within a goal of going up and then, finally, practically walk their way to the third tier of English football. I can remember going to Bournemouth away in the FA Cup, and the draw there was probably Stanley's finest hour. Now there's a strong chance they'll be on the same level as Sunderland (doesn't take much, granted), Bolton, Charlton and Bradford. Fucking hell. What with Blackburn probably a safe bet for 2nd in League 1 now and Sean Dyche working miracles at the Dingle bastards it's probably been the best season for football in East Lancs for generations.

• Subscriber

Last time I went to Accrington was a JPT tie between Accrington and Tranmere on a Tuesday night.

Game got called off after about 20 minutes because of suspected broken neck for one of the Accy players. My chants of ‘let him die’ on initial contact faded as the ambulance came on to the pitch.

ah memories 

• 1 year later...

Archived