talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Metal and Rock

football forum

my all time favorite band is working for a new album again :] it's been a while since I bought their latest album and listened to all of the songs hundreds of times. 

Isolate and Medicate will always be the greatest album I have ever bought. I hope their new album will be equivalent.

Edited by Dalmore
  • Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Dalmore said:

my all time favorite band is working for a new album again :] it's been a while since I bought their latest album and listened to all of the songs hundreds of times. 

Isolate and Medicate will always be the greatest album I have ever bought. I hope their new album will be equivalent.

Seether were one of my favourite bands when I was in college - I saw them live a couple of times and they were great.  I kinda checked out after they released Finding Beauty... This sounds half decent though, and the video is pretty cool.

I've been listening to a lot of Ghost at the moment, Square Hammer is one of the best songs of last year.

I'm off to see Gojira in a week.  Support by Code Orange - I cannot wait.

Edited by Honking Antelope

From last year's rock/metal albums I've listened to so far one of my favourites was the thrash-metal band Anthrax's For All Kings. One song I really took to on my first listen was Monster At The End.

Edited by Cure

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Tanksie said:

Mastodons new album is disappointing once more. From one of the most exciting bands in metal, with uniquely different albums, to a half baked Queens of the stone age rip off band. What a disappointing progression. Sure, bands 'evolve' but evolution is supposed to take you forward.

Obviously you're not familiar with Charlie from Busted then. That was evolution then after a decade shameless I need the cash it hasn't worked, or as it's now know "reimagining" 

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Fightstar (his band) did some great stuff, I actually saw them live opening for Feeder and they were brilliant. 

A part of me died when he rejoined Busted after all that time, it kinda' looked like he was admitting that the rock scene hadn't given him much cash and that he was willing to go back to being a poster boy to line his pockets. 

You don't make millions in rock unless you become a fucking awesome touring band. Metallica are probably the most bankable band globally at a guess and it's all from touring not albums. It's a rock think I think, I don't judge a song I judge an album and more often than not tradition with me and mates was pass it round for copying sake and spend cash on drugs n beer. If they were shit live you went off them generally. 

Fightstar was an ok project but it didn't make me think ah I must see this guy. 

3 minutes ago, Takyon said:

Would be kind enough to recommend some good rock albums from the last year or so? I've really struggled to find anything in the genre I've enjoyed since the turn of 2016. 

Sure! Any preferences to sub-genres or just general recommendations?

Just now, Cure said:

Sure! Any preferences to sub-genres or just general recommendations?

Thanks! I have a pretty varied taste to be honest. I tend to stay away from metal (and its many, many sub-genres) because it just doesn't click with me for whatever reason but apart from that I don't have much preference. 

Blackstar - David Bowie

Post Pop Depression - Iggy Pop

Winter - New Model Army (Good things have been said about it by critics but I'm afraid I haven't listened to it due to lack of interest in the band. They're not a band I'm keen on and haven't inspired me but give it a chance - you may enjoy.)

Hidden City - The Cult

Seal The Deal And Let's Boogie - Volbeat (A bit half and half on the rock side but I enjoyed it.)

Fringes of metal and some (occasional) hard rock which might be to your taste.

For All Kings - Anthrax

Delirium - Lacuna Coil

Hardwired... To Self-Destruct - Metallica

Sorceress - Opeth

Universal Monsters - The 69 Eyes (Like the Volbeat album this is a bit half and half. Dolce vita baby.)

Based on Psychocandy alone I'd say check out Damage and Joy, the first release for nearly two decade from The Jesus and Mary Chain. If you like electronic music then I'd recommend Spirit by Depeche Mode. A great release from them from last month.

Overkill - definitive thrash metal through and through - also released a new album through the Nuclear Blast label. I'd say check them out. They're the biggest growing label in rock and metal and are signing on some really well known acts now. Slayer, Sabaton, Testament, Kreator, Machine Head, Volbeat, Blue Pills... unfortunately they've also got the likes of Suicide Silence and Slipknot amongst their ranks too. That's more of a recommendation for rivetheads and lovers of heavy metal.

@Takyon: I wasn't sure if this'd be for you too but Brian Eno and Jeff Beck also released new material last year. Feel free to PM me if you want anything else.

Edited by Cure
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...