talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Metal and Rock

football forum

The Gimme Radio app is pretty great if you like metal. Free, relatively add free (mostly just ads for Gimme Radio), and lots of good music. Some crap music, but it's nice having something reminding me of real radio but with more enjoyable music than the radio actually has

• 1 month later...
On 07/06/2019 at 04:55, Toinho said:

Seeing Metallica in October. I know they’re not what they used to be but still keen! 

I saw them last year, it was my first time seeing them. Yeah they're old... but they still put on a pretty spectacular show. And they played plenty of their good shit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

On Mars for the Rich they go full on Motörhead - it’s excellent 

I enjoyed the singles but tbh I was bit wary of how the album as a whole would hold up. 

I'm very pleasantly surprised. Venusian 2 has serious Overkill vibes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Just came back from Iron Maiden. Very fun stuff.

Saw them just over a year ago at the O2 in London. Never been a massive Maiden fan but they know how to put on one hell of a show and then some. Now if only they could release an album of similar quality...!

On 22/08/2019 at 23:45, tlr said:

Saw them just over a year ago at the O2 in London. Never been a massive Maiden fan but they know how to put on one hell of a show and then some. Now if only they could release an album of similar quality...!

I love all the Maiden albums up through Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. After that it gets a bit shit with their discography, some good tunes that they'll play live... but I don't think it really compares to any of that golden era stuff.

I'm seeing them in a few weeks, looking forward to it.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I love all the Maiden albums up through Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. After that it gets a bit shit with their discography, some good tunes that they'll play live... but I don't think it really compares to any of that golden era stuff.

I'm seeing them in a few weeks, looking forward to it.

I am much the same. The first two Maiden albums are perfection, the perfect mixture of musical complexity, punkish aggression, trademark rhythm section, and pop-esque catchiness. NOTB I still think is overrated, though Hallowed Be Thy Name is my nomination for greatest Maiden and one of the best Heavy Metal songs ever. Piece of Mind, Powerslave and Somewhere in Time are full on metal heyday royalty just as Priest's Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith are.

After that it gets rather shit rather quickly. Like you say there are highlights (The Clansman from the Blaze Bauley era is a full-on classic), but my god listening to a modern Maiden album in one sitting is torture. Maiden, like Priest and pretty much every metal band of the 80s, were at their most lethal when they knocked you out in four minutes. Priest still do this and that's why despite members dropping like flies their albums are still fucking killer. Empire of the Clouds is undeinably a superb song, but from the same band that used to blow your mind with Aces High and Wrathchild...? Nah. Stick it on a Bruce or Steve solo album where 37 minute prog influenced adventures belong.

• Upvote 2

Maiden are theatrical are at best loud, singing along, and with explosions. Their songs are epic tales and it is reflected in everything they do. They straddle corny and awesome very finely. I am not the biggest Maiden fan but boy when the first screams kicks on on The number of the beast I feel it with everyone else.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Maiden are what a bassist and drummer in total lock-step should sound like when it comes to hard hitting metal. You could even take one out for short periods and you never really lose that back-filling rhythm. They are gimmicky at times (chorus-based lead) but it all comes together rather nicely when you hear some of the older stuff like Afraid to Shoot Strangers and the self-titled track Iron Maiden. There's also a reason Steve Harris is very highly regarded in the bass community and as a musician overall too the man has a motor engine under his fingers.

If you haven't seen them live I highly recommend going to watch them even now. 

12 hours ago, Mel81x said:

If you haven't seen them live I highly recommend going to watch them even now. 

After the first time I saw them I decided I'd see them basically every time they come anywhere near me. Fantastic performers. Highly recommend everyone go to a Maiden show at least once in their life.

I had the surprise of my stag night taken away though as I tried to get some friends to buy tickets to the show closest to me right now... and they'd told me we're going to be seeing them at a different venue in a different place. And with friends from back home coming! Apparently it was extremely difficult to coordinate because they're only letting people buy tickets in groups of 4. BUT I AM SO FUCKING EXCITED.

Especially because this setlist looks a million times better than their Book of Souls tour setlist... and they're allowed to play Hallowed Be Thy Name again.

Yeah in case anyone can't tell, I fucking love Maiden

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

After the first time I saw them I decided I'd see them basically every time they come anywhere near me. Fantastic performers. Highly recommend everyone go to a Maiden show at least once in their life.

I had the surprise of my stag night taken away though as I tried to get some friends to buy tickets to the show closest to me right now... and they'd told me we're going to be seeing them at a different venue in a different place. And with friends from back home coming! Apparently it was extremely difficult to coordinate because they're only letting people buy tickets in groups of 4. BUT I AM SO FUCKING EXCITED.

Especially because this setlist looks a million times better than their Book of Souls tour setlist... and they're allowed to play Hallowed Be Thy Name again.

Yeah in case anyone can't tell, I fucking love Maiden

(I will say this post has setlist spoliers in case any Maidenites are desperate to preserve the mystery, god knows I was)

I get the impression Maiden basically now alternate tours between classics and albums, the latter obviously fraught with danger as their modern albums are a tepid sea of rancid horseshit. But yeah, this tour was my first time seeing Maiden and it fucking blew my head out of my arse sideways. You know that any gig which kicks off with a recording of Doctor Dcotor is going to be the greatest thing ever (Michael Schenker is probably my favourite guitarist so bonus points there too); but Churchill's speech followed by the opening chords to Aces High is like something I have never experienced at a concert, ever. It's insane, you go from naught to a hundred in a heartbeat.

The musical break between the first verse and chorus in Iron Maiden was magical, you knew exactly what was coming and that you were sat in a room with 20,000 people ready to do exactly the same. As I've said before Hallowed is my favourite Maiden song and one of my favourite songs ever, I was so pleased they managed to resolve the legalities surrounding it to perform it again. Just like when I first saw Priest perform Victim of Changes or Sabbath War Pigs it was fucking mesmerising to see this song I idolised recorded decades ago performed before me. If only they'd finished on Running Free instead of the overhyped Run to the Hills it may have been my favourite concert ever. Fucking superb.

Iron Maiden can't be fought, Iron Maiden can't be sought.

(Still a poor man's Priest mind :ph34r:)

• Upvote 2