talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Metal and Rock

football forum

2 minutes ago, tlr said:

(I will say this post has setlist spoliers in case any Maidenites are desperate to preserve the mystery, god knows I was)

I get the impression Maiden basically now alternate tours between classics and albums, the latter obviously fraught with danger as their modern albums are a tepid sea of rancid horseshit. But yeah, this tour was my first time seeing Maiden and it fucking blew my head out of my arse sideways. You know that any gig which kicks off with a recording of Doctor Dcotor is going to be the greatest thing ever (Michael Schenker is probably my favourite guitarist so bonus points there too); but Churchill's speech followed by the opening chords to Aces High is like something I have never experienced at a concert, ever. It's insane, you go from naught to a hundred in a heartbeat.

The musical break between the first verse and chorus in Iron Maiden was magical, you knew exactly what was coming and that you were sat in a room with 20,000 people ready to do exactly the same. As I've said before Hallowed is my favourite Maiden song and one of my favourite songs ever, I was so pleased they managed to resolve the legalities surrounding it to perform it again. Just like when I first saw Priest perform Victim of Changes or Sabbath War Pigs it was fucking mesmerising to see this song I idolised recorded decades ago performed before me. If only they'd finished on Running Free instead of the overhyped Run to the Hills it may have been my favourite concert ever. Fucking superb.

Iron Maiden can't be fought, Iron Maiden can't be sought.

(Still a poor man's Priest mind :ph34r:)

The first time I saw them was a "Maiden England" (the Seventh Son tour) setlist - with a couple of newer songs (mostly Fear of the Dark) thrown in the mix. That was incredible - all of the "overplayed" shite (which tbh I still fucking love because I fucking love Maiden), but they also ended with Running Free. Fantastic fucking show.

Even the last show where the setlist was more on the modern side... it was still an incredible show. But yeah obviously the "greatest hits" style shows are going to be better as it's all the classics.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The first time I saw them was a "Maiden England" (the Seventh Son tour) setlist - with a couple of newer songs (mostly Fear of the Dark) thrown in the mix. That was incredible - all of the "overplayed" shite (which tbh I still fucking love because I fucking love Maiden), but they also ended with Running Free. Fantastic fucking show.

Even the last show where the setlist was more on the modern side... it was still an incredible show. But yeah obviously the "greatest hits" style shows are going to be better as it's all the classics.

Yeah, don't get me wrong I love bands that do deep cut tours, I think it's just more my dislike of post-90s Maiden that blinds me a bit xD Suppose it does all depend on the band's following - if you're someone like Maiden with a relentlessly faithful army then you can get away with it; sadly for a lot of others band its classics or bust. All this talk reminds me of the time Neil Young did a gig where for the first half he did his latest album in full to obvious audience disapproval. He then came out for the second half, asked the audience if they now were ready for the stuff they'd heard already, and played the album all the way through again xD

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tlr said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong I love bands that do deep cut tours, I think it's just more my dislike of post-90s Maiden that blinds me a bit xD Suppose it does all depend on the band's following - if you're someone like Maiden with a relentlessly faithful army then you can get away with it; sadly for a lot of others band its classics or bust. All this talk reminds me of the time Neil Young did a gig where for the first half he did his latest album in full to obvious audience disapproval. He then came out for the second half, asked the audience if they now were ready for the stuff they'd heard already, and played the album all the way through again xD

I've heard modern day Deep Purple's the same way, mostly playing stuff off newer albums and skipping over the Blackmore era classics. Granted, when I saw them it was predominantly the classics and I think just 1 song I'd never heard before.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've heard modern day Deep Purple's the same way, mostly playing stuff off newer albums and skipping over the Blackmore era classics. Granted, when I saw them it was predominantly the classics and I think just 1 song I'd never heard before.

Deep Purple are one of those bands I would have gone and seen if I'd had more motivation and money. Gillan was a hell of a singer back in the day, one of the best ever, and still holds his own today. I suspect the lack of Blackmore material may be influenced by the abysmal relationship between Gillan and Blackmore, even by rock standards. Sad really, same thing has haunted so many superb bands over the years, from the Scorpions to the Eagles. Shame really, the prime loser in all of it is us fans who'd die for either side...

3 hours ago, tlr said:

Deep Purple are one of those bands I would have gone and seen if I'd had more motivation and money. Gillan was a hell of a singer back in the day, one of the best ever, and still holds his own today. I suspect the lack of Blackmore material may be influenced by the abysmal relationship between Gillan and Blackmore, even by rock standards. Sad really, same thing has haunted so many superb bands over the years, from the Scorpions to the Eagles. Shame really, the prime loser in all of it is us fans who'd die for either side...

When I saw them, it was actually quite cheap! And Judas Priest was the opener (Judas Priest is one of those bands that after the first time I saw them a few years back I decided as long as I've got the money for it I'll go - so I really went for them, and Deep Purple headlining was just an added bonus). That was a great concert. No idea if what I'd heard about Deep Purple is even true, tbh, because Gillan & co seemed determined to play basically every hit Deep Purple ever had. Which was a really really pleasant surprise.

That show was last year - it was on a Tuesday or a Wednesday (or a Thursday) and I don't think they sold many tickets, maybe because of a weekday - maybe because they're older bands (although tbh that's never seemed to matter much when big names come around here if it's on a Friday or weekend) - it was a big outdoor venue but the lawn area was completely blocked off. Before Deep Purple took the stage I was wondering "how's he going to sound now that he's an old man" and to my surprise... he sounded great and sung his arse off.

Deep Purple's one of my dad's all time favourite bands... so when I told him, I thought he'd be jealous. Instead his reaction was more on the  "meh, you've never seen them with Blackmore - I have, lad" side of things xD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Toinho said:

Was meant to see Metallica next month but they’ve just cancelled their Australia and New Zealand tour. Hetfield’s alcoholism is back on by the looks and he’s off to some rehab. Hopefully beats it this time...

Metallica will be around for more years I'm sure but I couldn't risk not seeing my favorite rock band live. Concert was earlier this year and by far the best one I have went to. 

32 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Metallica will be around for more years I'm sure but I couldn't risk not seeing my favorite rock band live. Concert was earlier this year and by far the best one I have went to. 

I went the last time there were in town, like 2009/2010 maybe. Great show.

• Upvote 1

I think I saw them 3 times total. The last time I saw them live was when they played the entirety of Master of Puppets, which must've been in 2006 due to the anniversary. They were my 'gateway drug' band and I never got into them as much afterward. Pretty much the only thing I can still listen to is No Life 'Til Leather.

Speaking of Metallica, today I found back a bootlegged version of No Life 'Til Leather and Power Metal, which is the first metal record I ever bought.

That unhinged Mustaine solo at the end. Fucking love it.

Edited by Panflute

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

What's everyones favourite Sabbath album? Has anyone had a stronger first 5 albums than them? Even dylan and the beatles don't have as good a run, imo. 

Vol 4 for me. 

I'm going to have to be boring and go with the first one. Their bluesrock influences are still quite obvious there, but hearing a band lay the musical and aesthetic foundation for an entire genre is really something.

On 27/10/2019 at 16:43, The Artful Dodger said:

What's everyones favourite Sabbath album? Has anyone had a stronger first 5 albums than them? Even dylan and the beatles don't have as good a run, imo. 

Vol 4 for me. 

I think Slayer's first 5 albums are all solid as fuck (if you're into thrash metal of course) - but their second (Hell Awaits) is pretty weak compared to the other four, despite being a solid album. Meanwhile those first 5 Sabbath albums are all solid albums all the way through, with a couple of crap fillers... but every album's got those it seems like - Sabbath went 5 records without too many of them. Truly is impressive. Zeppelin might be a contender though, with Led Zeppelin I-IV & Houses of the Holy as their 5th.

For me my favourite Sabbath album is hard to pick - on some days, I'd agree with you all day on Vol. 4. Love that fucking album. On other days I might say Master of Reality or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (even though I think the production on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is a bit shit).

Sabbath's 6th album, Sabotage, is pretty underrated too imo. It's got some quality tunes on there - and once you get passed the first (very long) bit of Meglomania where the main riff kicks in and Ozzy starts going crazy on vocals... well it's a great fucking song. They're a great fucking band - which I guess, is obvious considering they kickstarted a whole genre.

More Megadeth worship. It's still pretty sick to think they had 2 jazz virtuosos playing with them on the first 2 albums. They've had so many talented musicians play with them over the years, although I do think their line-up instability is what held them back in the long run.

Mustaine's solos on the same album by comparison, not as virtuosic but still distinct and fucked up fast:

Edited by Panflute

17 hours ago, Panflute said:

More Megadeth worship. It's still pretty sick to think they had 2 jazz virtuosos playing with them on the first 2 albums. They've had so many talented musicians play with them over the years, although I do think their line-up instability is what held them back in the long run.

I think there's 2 things that kept Megadeth back in the long run. One is that lineup instability (although after the KIMB/Peace Sells Era & after the transitional So Far So Good So What - which IMO is an underrated album... we did get the best lineup of Megadeth). But another is the constant decision to copy what Metallica were doing with their musical careers. Although it did produce some very good albums (Rust in Piece, Countdown, and Youthanasia is... okay - not as good as the other two):

Metallica released their most technical album in And Justice for All, shortly after... Megadeth release magnum opus in Rust in Peace (which is most likely my favourite metal album) and that's by far Megadeth's most technical work.

Metallica released a more "radio friendly" thrash album in the Black Album, it gets great public acclaim. Megadeth releases Countdown to Extinction, which is a more commercially friendly Megadeth thrash album in a similar vein to the Black Album.

This comparison doesn't really hold up with Metallica's shit cover album & Megadeth's decent but not great Youthanasia.

Metallica released some absolute rubbish with Load and Reload - Mustaine decides to release some similarly terrible albums in Cryptic Writings and Trust; both bands with a strength in metal writing some meh rock songs.

Then after that Metallica release St. Anger... while Megadeth released a few good but not great albums, with a period of being broken up in between some of those albums being released. And some of those later era Megadeth albums demonstrate some absolute quality musicianship that you'd expect from Megadeth. But Dave's voice has just gone and the songs aren't as... good... as the earlier stuff. I still like some of their albums post-reunion though.

Megadeth are absolutely one of my favourite bands of all time though - I think maybe over their careers there's other thrash bands that have been more consistent over their careers at producing quality music (arguably Slayer... but that could be because a lot of the shite after South of Heaven just sounds like a generic Slayer copy other than their nu-metal experiment, Exodus, Kreator, Testament) but even all of these have had some meh shite come out as well. But I don't think any of them ever hit the heights that Megadeth did.

Going back to that question about bands and first 5 albums. Megadeth are a good shout:

1.) Killing is My Business - the production value may be absolute crap (and I hate the new remaster because they've taken all the fucking bass out - so songs like Chosen Ones with that excellent bassline are diminished) but holy fuck the songs are good. And it's got a relentless energy to it that most albums don't have. I also like how all leads on this one are done by Dave & he's playing with absolute fury in those solos... love it.

2.) Peace Sells - a fucking absolute classic from start to finsih

3.) So Far So Good So What - this album is loaded with good songs, but it's not talked about anywhere near as much as the other albums surrounding it. Maybe because the album before is an absolute classic and the album after is a fucking masterpiece. Into The Lungs Of Hell, Set the World Afire, Mary Jane, In My Darkest Hour, Liar, and Hook in Mouth are all fantastic fucking songs. And that's most of the songs on the album - 502 is alright & the Sex Pistols cover is a bit crap... but those are the only other songs on the album. It's an underappreciated gem imo.

4.) Rust in Peace - this album is just brilliant. Like I said, it's a masterpiece.

5.) Countdown to Extinction - when Megadeth started taking a turn to more mainstream commercial success, but still an album filled with quality tunes. It's probably my least favourite of the 5, because it doesn't have the same furious energy as the other albums. But it's a really well polished album that has good songs with the most talented Megadeth lineup of all time and is rightly considered a classic & I love the album.

• Upvote 1

Went to see a triple header in Wolves tonight - Blaze Bayley followed by David Ellefson with his new solo album followed by 90 minutes of former Judas Priest in the form of KK Downing, Les Binks and The Ripper, with Ellefson filling in on bass and AJ Mills on (other) guitar. 

I have just spent three hours screaming my tits off. I have no voice left, no hearing and I'm sweating like I've just done a marathon. Bayley is superb - his voice still isn't for me but god does he love what he does and he worked the crowd something good. Ellefson's new work is killer and the Megadeth hits made it all the better. Priest were something else - Ripper is still the vocalist he was 15 years ago, Downing looks like he never left and Les Binks is still the Northern Irish John Bonham. Ellefson on bass was just the cherry on top. Plenty of deep cuts too. Fucking wonderful night. God I love heavy metal.

Edited by tlr
Sp.
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, tlr said:

Went to see a triple header in Wolves tonight - Blaze Bayley followed by David Ellefson with his new solo album followed by 90 minutes of former Judas Priest in the form of KK Downing, Les Binks and The Ripper, with Ellefson filling in on bass and AJ Mills on (other) guitar. 

I have just spent three hours screaming my tits off. I have no voice left, no hearing and I'm sweating like I've just done a marathon. Bayley is superb - his voice still isn't for me but god does he love what he does and he worked the crowd something good. Ellefson's new work is killer and the Megadeth hits made it all the better. Priest were something else - Ripper is still the vocalist he was 15 years ago, Downing looks like he never left and Les Binks is still the Northern Irish John Bonham. Ellefson on bass was just the cherry on top. Plenty of deep cuts too. Fucking wonderful night. God I love heavy metal.

Sounds like an excellent evening.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sounds like an excellent evening.

All for a tenner too! I found it especially lovely to go to a gig and have no pissing about with elaborate stage sets or costume changes or two minute breaks between songs whilst everyone changes guitar fifteen times. Just three acts genuinely delighted just to be on stage performing. No bullshit, just 2 and a half hours of glorious metal onslaught. Blaze Bayley had an impromptu meet and greet in the lobby at half time for fucks sake. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...