talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Metal and Rock

football forum

This is a small project I've been working on where I go through a band's discography and review every album with a short blurb. It's mainly for myself, but those who are interested can see what a big Megadeth fanboy I've become. Iron Maiden is next on the list.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uIE0x1SQYvPPoKyjZQsy19yBn39Fe3Ej8lbgBfUFsZI/edit?usp=sharing

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Setlist for Megadeth's first European concert. I'm going to catch them on Sunday.

Hangar 18
Wake Up Dead
Sweating Bullets
Dawn Patrol
Poison Was The Cure
Trust
A Tout Le Monde
She-Wolf
Dystopia
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Panflute said:

Setlist for Megadeth's first European concert. I'm going to catch them on Sunday.

Hangar 18
Wake Up Dead
Sweating Bullets
Dawn Patrol
Poison Was The Cure
Trust
A Tout Le Monde
She-Wolf
Dystopia
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells

What a great song to do live. Where are you going to watch them? 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Should be a fun night out - that setlist looks pretty great.

Yep, just a good old greatest hits basically, which I like as I've never seen them live before. Poison was the Cure is a really nice surprise as well.

Now to make sure I get a spot near the stage...

On Thursday (or late Wednesday in Europe), Gimme Radio (which is an app I think every metalhead should check out) is interviewing Pooyan Ahmadi - the one man behind Iran's Bloody Sadism - on the state of Iranian extreme metal in Iran. Should be an interesting show, as it's got to be tough for metal musicians to play in a place where they can be sentenced to death for blasphemy just because of the music they make and listen to.

• Wow 2

13 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Friday night question: what's everyone's favorite Iron Maiden album?

For me, I just have to go with Powerslave. The songs, the sound, the art work, it's just perfect Maiden.

Either of the first two, if I absolutely have to choose I'd go with their eponymous debut. Love the mixtures of aggression and complexity, punk and prog influence etc. Of their 80s heyday, probably Piece of Mind. Less said about anything released this century the better...

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, tlr said:

Either of the first two, if I absolutely have to choose I'd go with their eponymous debut. Love the mixtures of aggression and complexity, punk and prog influence etc. Of their 80s heyday, probably Piece of Mind. Less said about anything released this century the better...

I agree on their self-titled, but... Charlotte the Harlot. :|

5 hours ago, Panflute said:

Friday night question: what's everyone's favorite Iron Maiden album?

For me, I just have to go with Powerslave. The songs, the sound, the art work, it's just perfect Maiden.

I like Piece of Mind (lot of quality tunes) or Seventh Son best 

Actually I think Killers is a pretty... killer... album of theirs, I’d probably go with that

Well, this was damn great.

davem.thumb.png.75bf8b1e3daaa4549c27ce1ff41f9e08.png

Setlist (from what I can recall:)

Hangar 18
Wake Up Dead
Sweating Bullets
Dawn Patrol
Poison was the Cure
Trust
Dystopia
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells
The Conjuring

Edited by Panflute
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and got the original versions of Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia, and boy does it make a difference with the remasters. A much more juicy drum sound, plenty of reverb, and a greater dynamic range. After already getting the superior original mixes of Rust in Peace and Cryptic Writings, it really makes me wonder what Mustaine was thinking with the 2004 remasters.

• Upvote 1

On 23/02/2020 at 04:34, Panflute said:

I went ahead and got the original versions of Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia, and boy does it make a difference with the remasters. A much more juicy drum sound, plenty of reverb, and a greater dynamic range. After already getting the superior original mixes of Rust in Peace and Cryptic Writings, it really makes me wonder what Mustaine was thinking with the 2004 remasters.

The remasters are terrible. I especially hate the most recent remaster of Killing is my Business... And Business is Good - they took all the fucking bass out off that album. Which is mental because possibly my favourite song on the album, Chosen Ones, has exquisite bass work.

But yeah, I found the originals for Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia are so much better than the remasters... blows my mind really.