talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Metal and Rock

football forum

22 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The remasters are terrible. I especially hate the most recent remaster of Killing is my Business... And Business is Good - they took all the fucking bass out off that album. Which is mental because possibly my favourite song on the album, Chosen Ones, has exquisite bass work.

But yeah, I found the originals for Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia are so much better than the remasters... blows my mind really.

I actually like that remaster as it showcases what a brilliant drummer Gar was. The bass sound was not too bad from what I remember but I only have the 2002 remaster to compare it to.

Youthanasia especially is such a world of difference, though. Like most of the remasters of the 90s albums, the drums really suffered on the 2004 remaster of that album. I'm not a big audiophile, but this trend of removing reverb from music in general is what sucks the life out of music for me.

Edited by Panflute

6 minutes ago, Panflute said:

I actually like that remaster as it showcases what a brilliant drummer Gar was. The bass sound was not too bad from what I remember but I only have the 2002 remaster to compare it to.

Youthanasia especially is such a world of difference, though. Like most of the remasters of the 90s albums, the drums really suffered on the 2004 remaster of that album. I'm not a big audiophile, but this trend of removing reverb from music in general is what sucks the life out of music for me.

The 2002 remaster also is very quiet compared to the original recording. It's weird, I definitely prefer the originals for Megadeth recordings... whereas with bands like Pantera, I'm a bigger fan of the remasters.

23 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The 2002 remaster also is very quiet compared to the original recording. It's weird, I definitely prefer the originals for Megadeth recordings... whereas with bands like Pantera, I'm a bigger fan of the remasters.

I don't know who handled the Pantera remaster, but I've noticed that musicians being in charge of their own band's production tends to lead to... unsatisfactory results. I imagine that when Mustaine remastered his albums, he, being a guitarist, brought the guitar work to the forefront. It's pretty much the same as when Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield had the biggest say in the production of And Justice For All and completely murdered the production (although AFJA is much, much worse than the worst Megadeth remaster).

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Just bought my first record player after losing a bet. Had to purchase my favourite thrash album to go along with it

Looks like it’s uploaded onto the forums upside down. Weird.

In any case, not a bad bet to lose.

6945E3E3-0984-483B-AF6D-CA67EF3195CC.jpeg

Wait, you LOST that bet?

Also, how is Tempo of the Damned by Exodus? I got it as a freeby with another order to compensate for high shipping costs. I know Exodus is great but I also remember the early 2000s being the period when thrash bands started doing weird shit.

14 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Wait, you LOST that bet?

Also, how is Tempo of the Damned by Exodus? I got it as a freeby with another order to compensate for high shipping costs. I know Exodus is great but I also remember the early 2000s being the period when thrash bands started doing weird shit.

Yeah what's not pictured is that I also had to buy a record featuring yodeling and have that be the first record I heard through my new turntable xD

I like Tempo of the Damned a lot. Imo it's a return to form from them... although their last album before that was a very very long time before 2004 (but that album, Force of Habit, is probably the weakest Exodus album - at least in my eyes). Some of Gary Holt's best riffs, especially the main riff from Scar Spangled Banner, are on the album.

I'd probably put it as my 3rd favourite Exodus album - behind 1.) Bonded by Blood & 2.) Fabulous Disaster.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah what's not pictured is that I also had to buy a record featuring yodeling and have that be the first record I heard through my new turntable xD

I like Tempo of the Damned a lot. Imo it's a return to form from them... although their last album before that was a very very long time before 2004 (but that album, Force of Habit, is probably the weakest Exodus album - at least in my eyes). Some of Gary Holt's best riffs, especially the main riff from Scar Spangled Banner, are on the album.

I'd probably put it as my 3rd favourite Exodus album - behind 1.) Bonded by Blood & 2.) Fabulous Disaster.

Oh wow, then I made the right choice. I got to pick 1 of 3 options and picked this one just because it was Exodus.

Sidenote: finding Carcass records at the local record shops here is proving to be impossible. And I'm pretty surprised at how expensive records are generally (even second hand). But it's a pretty cool listening experience with actual records, so I feel compelled to hunt down all of my favourite albums.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nice, good pick! What were the other options?

Death Angel - 'The Dream Calls For Blood' and Destruction - 'Under Attack'. I don't really like what I've heard of Destruction (not a big fan of German thrash), and seeing as I am quite unfamiliar with Death Angel, listening to one of their latest albums as my introduction to them seemed odd. So Exodus it was!

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sidenote: finding Carcass records at the local record shops here is proving to be impossible. And I'm pretty surprised at how expensive records are generally (even second hand). But it's a pretty cool listening experience with actual records, so I feel compelled to hunt down all of my favourite albums.

I just use discogs for most physical music these days. I do prefer picking things up from a store, but it's almost impossible to find anything more obscure than Metallica and Rammstein these days. I haven't even seen Megadeth in a record store in years.

I spent like 2009-2019 buying nearly all physical media online, so when I finally set foot in a record store again a few months back, I felt like Rip van Winkle. When I was growing up, you had shit like Dimmu Borgir and even Mortician being sold in regular, big chain record stores. I remember getting Iron Maiden, Cradle of Filth and Megadeth records in the most mainstream entertainment store chain out there. Just goes to show how much metal has disappeared from the public eye.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Panflute said:

Death Angel - 'The Dream Calls For Blood' and Destruction - 'Under Attack'. I don't really like what I've heard of Destruction (not a big fan of German thrash), and seeing as I am quite unfamiliar with Death Angel, listening to one of their latest albums as my introduction to them seemed odd. So Exodus it was!

I just use discogs for most physical music these days. I do prefer picking things up from a store, but it's almost impossible to find anything more obscure than Metallica and Rammstein these days. I haven't even seen Megadeth in a record store in years.

I spent like 2009-2019 buying nearly all physical media online, so when I finally set foot in a record store again a few months back, I felt like Rip van Winkle. When I was growing up, you had shit like Dimmu Borgir and even Mortician being sold in regular, big chain record stores. I remember getting Iron Maiden, Cradle of Filth and Megadeth records in the most mainstream entertainment store chain out there. Just goes to show how much metal has disappeared from the public eye.

Destruction are probably my least favourite of the big German thrash bands tbh & I also don't know too much about Death Angel either tbh - I don't think I've heard more than just a couple of their songs though.

Yeah the first record store I went to had the most pitiful metal selection I'd ever seen - granted it's been a long, long, long time since I've been into a record store. Two Metallica albums and that was it. Not even two different albums, two copies of Garage Inc. xD

But the second one I went to had a pretty small but decent selection of metal albums. Still mostly the bigger names: Sabbath, Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, etc... but they did have a lot of Megadeth and Slayer albums that I eventually want to have physical copies of. And of course, the one Exodus album they had was something I had to snap right up because... well it's my favourite thrash album so I figured "yeah that'll be the perfect album to listen to after I have to listen to about an hour of yodeling." But they also had a few Death albums and... I think hearing the Sound of Perseverance or Symbolic on vinyl is something I'll have to do soon.

Honestly, it made me a bit sad though going into these tiny stores that don't have much on their shelves at all - and I know it's because physical music is pretty much dead and digital is king... and has been for pretty much most of my life at this point. But it really underscored how my childhood is fucking dead lol

Well I've spent a lot more money than I was planning on this week after getting the record player - had to order some classics; ordered Carcass's brilliant albums Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrius & Heartwork… two albums I absolutely fucking love. And on Saturday I'm going to head back to that record store I went to on Monday to pick up a Death album (probably the Sound of Perserverance album or Symbolic... but Sound of Perserverance is probably my favourite Death album) and a Megadeth album. I'm sort of relying on me hoping that no other metalheads with record players come into that shop to buy the albums I want though xD

So I was wondering, @Panflute… which Megadeth record should I be looking to pick up. On Monday they had: Rust in Peace, Peace Sells, Countdown, and So Far So Good... So What. Assuming those are all still there on Saturday... which of these brilliant albums is the one I should be taking home as my first vinyl Megadeth? I'm leaning towards Rust in Peace or So Far So Good etc., but a part of me really really wants to get the Peace Sells record.

48 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well I've spent a lot more money than I was planning on this week after getting the record player - had to order some classics; ordered Carcass's brilliant albums Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrius & Heartwork… two albums I absolutely fucking love. And on Saturday I'm going to head back to that record store I went to on Monday to pick up a Death album (probably the Sound of Perserverance album or Symbolic... but Sound of Perserverance is probably my favourite Death album) and a Megadeth album. I'm sort of relying on me hoping that no other metalheads with record players come into that shop to buy the albums I want though xD

So I was wondering, @Panflute… which Megadeth record should I be looking to pick up. On Monday they had: Rust in Peace, Peace Sells, Countdown, and So Far So Good... So What. Assuming those are all still there on Saturday... which of these brilliant albums is the one I should be taking home as my first vinyl Megadeth? I'm leaning towards Rust in Peace or So Far So Good etc., but a part of me really really wants to get the Peace Sells record.

Well, first off I am by now the type of fanboy who will defend just about any Megadeth record, and my general tastes differ from the consensus in a lot of areas; I consider Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings to both be top 3 Megadeth albums, and while I like Countdown to Extinction, I don't really understand the hype around it.

All that being said, even with all my snowflakeyness I can't deny that Rust in Peace is the best record they ever did. In terms of style, themes and execution, I consider it the perfect thrash record. So if it were up to me, I'd definitely get that one before any others. Of course, any of those albums will do fine, but I'm considering getting Rust in Peace on vinyl even though I don't even have a working record player at the moment.

Edited by Panflute
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Panflute said:

All that being said, even with all my snowflakeyness I can't deny that Rust in Peace is the best record they ever did. In terms of style, themes and execution, I consider it the perfect thrash record. So if it were up to me, I'd definitely get that one before any others. Of course, any of those albums will do fine, but I'm considering getting Rust in Peace on vinyl even though I don't even have a working record player at the moment.

Cheers, yeah my instinct was telling me "their magnum opus should be your first Megadeth album on vinyl" - but those others are all pretty fucking great which sort of had my head turned. I think yeah... I'll be going with my insticts here.

It's a shame vinyl's not cheaper because... I'd love to just be able to buy them all at once but too many luxury purchases a month isn't really justifiable.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I couldn’t wait til the weekend xD - and I got a bit lucky because someone was picking out the Death albums they had and almost bought all of them. But I picked up Sound if Perseverance & Rust in Peace and I am well happy now with Rust currently spinning.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Panflute said:

Listened to Exodus - Tempo of the Damned. Some of the lyrics are cringy and the vocals aren't my cup of tea, but you can't argue with that riffage. Very solid album.

Yeah the vocals are probably the most divisive thing about Exodus. I don’t mind it, but I’ve learned to have an extraordinarily open mind with metal vocalists. Although there’s some bands where I just can’t gel with them - Exodus are obviously a band where I can gel with it though.  But the riffs are so excellent & that’s what’s most important to me.

Exodus have a different singer on Bonded By Blood. He’s dead now though. And the singer that’s currently with the band rejoined them before their most recent album - before that he’s been replaced with another guy for Shovel Headed Killing Machine (lol stupid name) & the Atrocity Exhibition - 2 albums, Exhibit A & B.

They’re a good band for solid thrash riffage for sure though.

On 25/01/2020 at 06:45, Panflute said:

Friday night question: what's everyone's favorite Iron Maiden album?

For me, I just have to go with Powerslave. The songs, the sound, the art work, it's just perfect Maiden.

7th son of a 7th son. Number of the beast. Brave new world in that order. Seeing them in May

Edited by Devil-Dick Willie