talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Metal and Rock

football forum

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I like this song better... but holy shit... the mix is terrible xD - I'm hoping that's just YouTube's compression messing the mix up and not how it'll actually sound when the album is out.

Yep, listened to it earlier today, and I like it as well. Though I also liked The Writing On The Wall... As for the mix quality, I listened to it on a laptop instead of using my headphones, so it all sounds like it's coming from an empty bucket anyway xD 

• Haha 1

On 24/07/2021 at 08:34, Machado said:

So Slash is an English man... I am mind blown.

Yeah born in England, as was his dad, and his mum is American born but with English family I think. 

Edited by Toinho

9 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Massively into Tool at present I listened years ago but finally got round to Fear inoculum and my god listening bow with an older head I realise they maybe the greatest band ever, even their old stuff listening again is timeless genius 

I never really got into Tool - but pretty much everyone I know who's got a similar taste in music to me likes them. If I wanted to try to get into them, what albums (or songs) do you think I should go with?

Should I do the standard: start at the beginning of the discography and work your way to their latest album? Or you think there's maybe some songs I should listen to first before doing that?

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I never really got into Tool - but pretty much everyone I know who's got a similar taste in music to me likes them. If I wanted to try to get into them, what albums (or songs) do you think I should go with?

Should I do the standard: start at the beginning of the discography and work your way to their latest album? Or you think there's maybe some songs I should listen to first before doing that?

I find their earlier stuff (EP and Undertow) to be a bit boring. My favorite albums were Lateralus and 10,000 Days. Fear Innoculum is good but a tad repetitive.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Start at the beginning but for me they really kick into gear around Ænima then Lateralus to 10,000 days is a band at the peak of their powers. Lateralus is straight up genius, what’s so cool about it from a musical view is that the time signatures are all over the place, I never got this before but getting back into it and watching YouTube musicians breakdown songs i now appreciate these guys are just showing off. The  actual track Lateralus is done to the Fibonacci sequence ffs they’re literally taking the piss and winning Grammy awards for it. 

don’t skip undertow though some good tracks to spiral out and listen to but start at Ænima. 

21 hours ago, Coma said:

I find their earlier stuff (EP and Undertow) to be a bit boring. My favorite albums were Lateralus and 10,000 Days. Fear Innoculum is good but a tad repetitive.

13 years off comeback and deliver that is staggering, 7empest is technically such a great piece of work. I’d recommend watching this to see how clean it is and appreciate that these guys pushing 60 are still arguably the best in the game

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Start at the beginning but for me they really kick into gear around Ænima then Lateralus to 10,000 days is a band at the peak of their powers. Lateralus is straight up genius, what’s so cool about it from a musical view is that the time signatures are all over the place, I never got this before but getting back into it and watching YouTube musicians breakdown songs i now appreciate these guys are just showing off. The  actual track Lateralus is done to the Fibonacci sequence ffs they’re literally taking the piss and winning Grammy awards for it. 

don’t skip undertow though some good tracks to spiral out and listen to but start at Ænima. 

13 years off comeback and deliver that is staggering, 7empest is technically such a great piece of work. I’d recommend watching this to see how clean it is and appreciate that these guys pushing 60 are still arguably the best in the game

Lateralus is their best single track, hands down. The drumming is unreal. Agree Tempest is fantastic, as is Invincible. 

3 hours ago, Coma said:

Lateralus is their best single track, hands down. The drumming is unreal. Agree Tempest is fantastic, as is Invincible. 

I can’t tell you a favourite there’s just so many great tracks over their catalogue. On  the fear innoculum song did you notice that it says mitosis at exactly the halfway point of the song? It’s little shit like that, that makes me love them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2021 at 03:30, Fairy In Boots said:

I can’t tell you a favourite there’s just so many great tracks over their catalogue. On  the fear innoculum song did you notice that it says mitosis at exactly the halfway point of the song? It’s little shit like that, that makes me love them. 

I had to go back and verify this, and you are correct.

4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Loved Mastodon from Remission to Crack the Skye. Even of their 'hard rock albums' I love once more around the sun, and don't mind the hunter. Though Emperor of sand was hit and miss IMO. 

I felt this way for a long while and shelved the album.  Went back to it in the last 18 months or so and it finally clicked with me.  

On 28/09/2021 at 11:53, Coma said:

New Mastodon album on 10/29.  Just in time for Halloween.

1631286732427.jpg

Cool love them to

On 28/09/2021 at 12:16, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Loved Mastodon from Remission to Crack the Skye. Even of their 'hard rock albums' I love once more around the sun, and don't mind the hunter. Though Emperor of sand was hit and miss IMO. 

I would run 10k’s to this album when it came out  and I have to say I loved it

25 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I dunno if any of you like death metal other than @Happy Blue - but I heard an album that came out in 2021 called "Rat God" by a band called Inhuman Condition... and it's some very good death metal.

This is a great album with some brutal slow thrashy break downs 🔥🤘🔥 has an 80's/early 90's vibe, really like it, should listen to it more 👍   ...listening to Morbid Angel a lot right now, especially this, this needs to be played loud to feel the energy :drunk:

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

This is a great album with some brutal slow thrashy break downs 🔥🤘🔥 has an 80's/early 90's vibe, really like it, should listen to it more 👍   ...listening to Morbid Angel a lot right now, especially this, this needs to be played loud to feel the energy :drunk:

Love Morbid Angel. Alters of Madness is probably my favourite by them.

I just learned that Inhuman Condition is basically Massacre 2.0. Probably should have figured that out from... the fact Inhuman Condition is the name of a Massacre EP & the font for the band is the same as Massacre's font. That explains the late 80s/early 90s vibe.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Love Morbid Angel. Alters of Madness is probably my favourite by them.

I just learned that Inhuman Condition is basically Massacre 2.0. Probably should have figured that out from... the fact Inhuman Condition is the name of a Massacre EP & the font for the band is the same as Massacre's font. That explains the late 80s/early 90s vibe.

Yeah they use the same fonts too ;)  ..that "from beyond album was a favourite  back in the day, so brutal B|

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That era of death metal (and honestly, just metal generally) is just so fucking good.

That was the golden era 4 sure! ..Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, Anthrax, Cannibal Corpse, Entombed, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Carcass, Sepultura, Machine Head, Def Leppard, Death, At The Gates, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Iron Maiden, Bloodbath etc, etc etc the list is endless  ..today's bands mostly don't come close 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

That was the golden era 4 sure! ..Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, Anthrax, Cannibal Corpse, Entombed, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Carcass, Sepultura, Machine Head, Def Leppard, Death, At The Gates, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, Iron Maiden, Bloodbath etc, etc etc the list is endless  ..today's bands mostly don't come close 

My favourite "modern" metal band was/is Power Trip.

sort of sounds like an old school thrash band mixed with Obituary - excellent band...

... sadly their singer passed away from a drug overdose (possibly a successful suicide attempt, but nobody is really sure) last year :( - it's a shame, he was a brilliant frontman live as well as the perfect singer for that band. I'm interested to see what the surviving members' next project is.

But yeah, I don't think it's any coincidence that the best metal albums I've heard recently are the new Carcass album and this Inhuman Condition album. Cannibal Corpse last year too. While some bands, like Metallica and Megadeth, have gone way stale as they age... some of the other old boys from back then still know how to craft excellent tunes. And while a lot of modern metal production sounds a bit too... I dunno the right word to use, sterile maybe, these guys who've been around since the early days seem to know how to blend their old sound with the new sounds of modern production in a way that just sounds excellent.

Looking forward to Exodus's new album coming out soon too. The little I've heard of that sounds like some vintage 90s Exodus.

There's some current bands that I think do a good job of carrying on the torch of the genre  - Warbringer (I'm biased because I've become friends with some of the band lol), Municipal Waste (sort of punk infused with thrash... fantastic), Cannabis Corpse (sounds like a parody band... but they're actually an excellent death metal band that write pretty hilarious songs featuring death metal and weed xD), Skeletonwitch, and probably a few others.

But I'll admit, they don't have that same little something special the bands from that era did. Although I think the first 4 Skeletonwich albums are pretty fucking great and have a really unique sound (when they changed singers they sort of changed styles... and they're still good, just not as good imo).

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My favourite "modern" metal band was/is Power Trip.

sort of sounds like an old school thrash band mixed with Obituary - excellent band...

... sadly their singer passed away from a drug overdose (possibly a successful suicide attempt, but nobody is really sure) last year :( - it's a shame, he was a brilliant frontman live as well as the perfect singer for that band. I'm interested to see what the surviving members' next project is.

But yeah, I don't think it's any coincidence that the best metal albums I've heard recently are the new Carcass album and this Inhuman Condition album. Cannibal Corpse last year too. While some bands, like Metallica and Megadeth, have gone way stale as they age... some of the other old boys from back then still know how to craft excellent tunes. And while a lot of modern metal production sounds a bit too... I dunno the right word to use, sterile maybe, these guys who've been around since the early days seem to know how to blend their old sound with the new sounds of modern production in a way that just sounds excellent.

Looking forward to Exodus's new album coming out soon too. The little I've heard of that sounds like some vintage 90s Exodus.

There's some current bands that I think do a good job of carrying on the torch of the genre  - Warbringer (I'm biased because I've become friends with some of the band lol), Municipal Waste (sort of punk infused with thrash... fantastic), Cannabis Corpse (sounds like a parody band... but they're actually an excellent death metal band that write pretty hilarious songs featuring death metal and weed xD), Skeletonwitch, and probably a few others.

But I'll admit, they don't have that same little something special the bands from that era did. Although I think the first 4 Skeletonwich albums are pretty fucking great and have a really unique sound (when they changed singers they sort of changed styles... and they're still good, just not as good imo).

PowerTrip are decent from what i've heard B|  ..little tip, if you want to sound like Obituray turn the tone almost off on your guitar and crank the distortion right up on the amp ;)  ..on;y play Obituary songs though as it doesn't sound right playing anything else :4_joy:  ..yeah i agree, bands mostly don't come close these days, it still the old guys still coming up with the goods, Gary Holt is sure to have some killer new riffs on the new album, cant wait to down load it and steal it :ph34r:lol 

These are brutal and funny :4_joy: ..check them out!

• Upvote 1