talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Metal and Rock

football forum

On 18/01/2023 at 11:21, Coma said:

Against my better judgement I just bought tickets to Gojira and Mastodon in August.  I'm not really a concert guy anymore but I figured I'd give it a go.

I don't really like the bigger shows anymore and much prefer when it's a smaller intimate venue... but with bands like Gojira and Mastodon, I don't think you'll be able to see them anywhere other than at bigger shows. It should still be fun though - Gojira is great live.

Kreator and Sepultura are coming round the US soon, I think mostly touring House of Blues venues... so I'll probably try to buy tickets to that when they go on sale tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Happy Blue This weekend I'm doing something I would have loved to have done as a kid: I'm seeing Pantera.

Shame that Dimebag and Vinnie Paul aren't going to be there... and it's not really Pantera. But it should be the best possible tribute to a band that I loved/love.

Fucking amazing mate, the main thing is that Phil is still on vocals, everything else will be fairly close to how it should be

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It was fucking brilliant. Phil is old now but he's still got his voice!

Glad you enjoyed it mate 👍 did it feel more like a tribute band or was you feeling it? ..I guess most bands replace half the line ups from when they stated. Sepultura was Max and Igor for me, they wasn't Sepultura anymore after they left 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Glad you enjoyed it mate 👍 did it feel more like a tribute band or was you feeling it? ..I guess most bands replace half the line ups from when they stated. Sepultura was Max and Igor for me, they wasn't Sepultura anymore after they left 

I went into it thinking "this is going to be like the best Pantera tribute I can possibly see in 2023" - but it felt pretty genuinely Pantera to me. Phil on vocals still sounding like Phil was probably a big part of that. Vinnie Paul & Dimebag (especially Dimebag, imo) are probably the soul of Pantera in my eyes - but Zakk Wylde's a good replacement for Dimebag (lifelong friends with Dime & he's got the fucking chops for it for sure - he's now been the replacement for Randy Rhoads and Dimebag, which is pretty telling of how good he is!) and the Anthrax drummer was excellent.

So you've got half the band with some really good replacements... and the 2 really moving tributes to the Abbott brothers in the show... it felt very Pantera-y to me. I loved it, from start to finish, idk if they're going to go to the UK to tour Europe... but if they do, I'll have to make sure my brother goes because he'd absolutely have loved it. You should go see them if they come round too, it was great!

The only thing that really bothers me is they use the name "Pantera" as though it's the whole band. I think it would have been a little more tasteful to call it "A Vulgar Display of Pantera" or something like that xD - like Sepultura after Max & Igor (and I still like Sepultura... but early Sepultura is real Sepultura to me as well)... I just don't think it's ever really going to be Pantera without the brothers. At least Max & Igor can still perform as Cavalera (or whatever they're calling their band playing old Sepultura songs now) - it's very shit Dimebag and Vinnie Paul are dead.

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I went into it thinking "this is going to be like the best Pantera tribute I can possibly see in 2023" - but it felt pretty genuinely Pantera to me. Phil on vocals still sounding like Phil was probably a big part of that. Vinnie Paul & Dimebag (especially Dimebag, imo) are probably the soul of Pantera in my eyes - but Zakk Wylde's a good replacement for Dimebag (lifelong friends with Dime & he's got the fucking chops for it for sure - he's now been the replacement for Randy Rhoads and Dimebag, which is pretty telling of how good he is!) and the Anthrax drummer was excellent.

So you've got half the band with some really good replacements... and the 2 really moving tributes to the Abbott brothers in the show... it felt very Pantera-y to me. I loved it, from start to finish, idk if they're going to go to the UK to tour Europe... but if they do, I'll have to make sure my brother goes because he'd absolutely have loved it. You should go see them if they come round too, it was great!

The only thing that really bothers me is they use the name "Pantera" as though it's the whole band. I think it would have been a little more tasteful to call it "A Vulgar Display of Pantera" or something like that xD - like Sepultura after Max & Igor (and I still like Sepultura... but early Sepultura is real Sepultura to me as well)... I just don't think it's ever really going to be Pantera without the brothers. At least Max & Igor can still perform as Cavalera (or whatever they're calling their band playing old Sepultura songs now) - it's very shit Dimebag and Vinnie Paul are dead.

The vocals are the most important thing (unless it's a death metal band lol) because everyone sounds different, it's the only thing that cant be replicated. i'm sure they will come to the UK at some point. wonder if they will make any new material :35_thinking: ..i guess every show keeps the memory of Dime & Vinnie alive and fresh in everyone's mind, it's more of a tribute act isn't it, yep it is shit that they are no longer with us

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/01/2023 at 06:21, Coma said:

Against my better judgement I just bought tickets to Gojira and Mastodon in August.  I'm not really a concert guy anymore but I figured I'd give it a go.

How was it, I love both bands and have seen them separate and together!

I have electric callboy tickets for end of year

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

How was it, I love both bands and have seen them separate and together!

I have electric callboy tickets for end of year

Unfortunately I didn't get to go. Had parenting responsibilities with kids sports, etc. and with our packed schedules I couldn't make it work. Had to sell the tickets. 

• Sad 2