talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Metal and Rock

football forum

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tipton's on the album, but his Parkinson's got too bad for him to tour, sadly. Downing's been gone for a few years also. They're going on tour too, but the tickets are outrageously priced (at least the show closed to me is).

Seen them before? I was lucky enough to be front row when they came to Perth in around 2009.(that's a guess as I drink too much) 

On 3/10/2018 at 08:56, bozziovai said:

high five !!!!     i named my eldest son Syvy from Steve Vai.   He was exposed since infancy with nothing but Vai, Satriani, Dream Theater, Bozzio, King Crimson, Toto.   His favourite lullaby is Vai, he can't sleep without it.  When he was around 5 or 7, it was his death-metal phase.  Now, him being 15 years old, he's listening to Luca Turilli's Rhapsody and all those bands of the like.

xD

Thanks to Spotify, I've come across a few good modern thrash bands from the continent. There's Italy's Ultra-Violence, and two Spanish bands - Angelus Apatrida from Albacete & Crisix from Barcelona. Kind of cool to find new good thrash bands.

On 3/17/2018 at 06:41, Dr. Gonzo said:

If you could create a metal and/or rock supergroup... what would your ideal lineup be?

hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

drums -    gene hoglan  ( death and a lot more )

bass - tony choy  ( atheist )

vocals - phil anselmo ( the early years of pantera )

guitars - dave mustaine ( megadeth )

this would sound weird.    the funky basslines of tony, the speed and aggressiveness of mustaine.   the metal technicalities of Gene and the raw and heavy vocals of phil.

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2018 at 03:53, Dr. Gonzo said:

In honour of Randy Rhoads, who died on this day:

A real guitar hero, even though he only left us with a very limited number of tracks before his untimely death.

when was this released ?? 80 or 81 ??   Randy was way ahead of his generation.   this has got to be one of the most melodic guitar solos of all time ................... let's add the riff of Crazy Train in the mix too  :P  :P  

1 hour ago, bozziovai said:

when was this released ?? 80 or 81 ??   Randy was way ahead of his generation.   this has got to be one of the most melodic guitar solos of all time ................... let's add the riff of Crazy Train in the mix too  :P  :P  

Blizzard of Ozz came out in 1980 according to Wikipedia.

4 hours ago, bozziovai said:

hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

drums -    gene hoglan  ( death and a lot more )

bass - tony choy  ( atheist )

vocals - phil anselmo ( the early years of pantera )

guitars - dave mustaine ( megadeth )

this would sound weird.    the funky basslines of tony, the speed and aggressiveness of mustaine.   the metal technicalities of Gene and the raw and heavy vocals of phil.

Gene Hoglan and Dave Mustaine would probably be in mine too! That lineup you've chosen would be pretty cool, Atheist has some insane base lines, Dave Mustaine's written some furious riffs, Gene Hoglan is my favourite drummer next to my friend Carlos Cruz (but I'm a bit biased as I'm friends with him lol), and early Pantera was the shit. Would for sure have the potential to sound weird, because of the base, but that rhythm section has phenomenal talent and I'm sure Mustaine could work with them. Would be a very very cool supergroup!

On 3/27/2018 at 17:04, Paulo Dybala said:

This is one of the most melodic death metal albums out there. I liken them to the Beatles of death metal :) A metal classic.

Death has become chuck  :(  :(    

my fave death album is I.T.P.   

the drumline on the main track i.T.P is my favourite of all time.    all hail Gene Hoglan !!!

• Upvote 2

Death is such a great band. They don't really have any bad albums, in fact each album is an iconic death metal album in it's own right - and they're probably the band that's influenced the genre the most. But it's made all the more impressive that each album has it's own unique character (although I'm sure the fact that Chuck had essentially a new lineup for each album plays a huge part in that - and everyone he used was very, very talented).

The Sound of Perseverance is an absolute masterpiece, it's possibly my favourite Death album - alongside Symbolic. But I think each of their albums is very very good.

And while I think Gene Hoglan is probably the best metal drummer ever... the drumming on Sound of Perseverance is some of the best I've ever heard imo.

Here's some Crystal Mountain:

• Upvote 1

Love Viking Metal, Black Metal and Folk Metal @bozziovai @Dr. Gonzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff_uv337yIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZEcwKICRsc

Don't really listen to the metal genres too much nowadays cos they can bring out the OCD in me lol. Guys, you talk about being a "music snob"? I used to be very much one in every sense of the description. For practically all genres of music, truly esoteric ones too. Just as an example I went through a phase where I steadfastly refused to listen to anything that was recorded after the 1920s Just to throw some random names out there: Dock Boggs, Charley Patton, Mississippi John Hurt, Fletcher Henderson etc. etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum. Being a Scorpio, I can be kinda complex: I was a jock, but I was also that guy in the used CD store rummaging and looking for the most esoteric genres and CDs ever. It became exhausting. Unbalanced my life. 

Nowadays I'm much more "mainstream", part of my way of blending in I suppose. For example, was just listening to Liam Payne and Rita Ora's "For You" :D :D Surprisingly good effort, as is Taylor Swift's "Style".

Anyone familiar with the Jump Blues genre here? Wynonie Harris one of my favorite artists of them all.

Also can never go wrong with early King Diamond.

Edited by Paulo Dybala

12 minutes ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Love Viking Metal, Black Metal and Folk Metal @bozziovai @Dr. Gonzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff_uv337yIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZEcwKICRsc

Don't really listen to the metal genres too much nowadays cos they can bring out the OCD in me lol. Guys, you talk about being a "music snob"? I used to be very much one in every sense of the description. For practically all genres of music, truly esoteric ones too. Just as an example I went through a phase where I steadfastly refused to listen to anything that was recorded after the 1920s Just to throw some random names out there: Dock Boggs, Charley Patton, Mississippi John Hurt, Fletcher Henderson etc. etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum. Being a Scorpio, I can be kinda complex: I was a jock, but I was also that guy in the used CD store rummaging and looking for the most esoteric genres and CDs ever. It became exhausting. Unbalanced my life. 

Nowadays I'm much more "mainstream", part of my way of blending in I suppose. For example, was just listening to Liam Payne and Rita Ora's "For You" :D :D Surprisingly good effort, as is Taylor Swift's "Style".
Anyone familiar with the Jump Blues genre here? Wynonie Harris one of my favorite artists of them all.

Also can never go wrong with early King Diamond.

what can i say.   you're unique :P  :P  

here's a thought .....................   what's your fave album cover in metal ???

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

here's a thought .....................   what's your fave album cover in metal ???

Off the top of my head? (it's been a good 7+ years since I truly listened to metal like that). King Diamond's "Abigail". Just a good solid cover very much in keeping with the atmospheric lyrics and feel of the whole album. What's yours?

1 minute ago, Paulo Dybala said:

Off the top of my head? (it's been a good 7+ years since I truly listened to metal like that). King Diamond's "Abigail". Just a good solid cover very much in keeping with the atmospheric lyrics and feel of the whole album. What's yours?

it would be Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power.      That guy being punched in the face and when you hit play you'll be greeted with the intro of Mouth For War  :P   everything is in place :P

Because of the recent Death discussion on here, I've gone on a bit of a kick listening to a shitload of them. Bass players in metal are often overlooked... but I think Steve DiGiorgio's a pretty great bassist. If I were to answer my own question re: the supergroup stuff, I'd probably have 3 Death members in it (Gene Hoglan, Di Giorgio, and Chuck) throw in some of Exodus's Gary Holt and... Rob fucking Halford of Judas Priest and I think you've got the potential for a weird yet awesome band.

On 3/30/2018 at 05:52, Dr. Gonzo said:

Because of the recent Death discussion on here, I've gone on a bit of a kick listening to a shitload of them. Bass players in metal are often overlooked... but I think Steve DiGiorgio's a pretty great bassist. If I were to answer my own question re: the supergroup stuff, I'd probably have 3 Death members in it (Gene Hoglan, Di Giorgio, and Chuck) throw in some of Exodus's Gary Holt and... Rob fucking Halford of Judas Priest and I think you've got the potential for a weird yet awesome band.

i've been trying to visualize Rob singing The Philosopher .... that would be a great band :P  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Toinho said:

Supergroup question is always hard...I find the drummer the hardest..any suggested drummer for this group?

Vocals: Bruce Dickinson
Guitars: Eddie Van Halen and Tony Iommi
Bassist: Robert Trujillo

the late great Nick Menza

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Toinho said:

Supergroup question is always hard...I find the drummer the hardest..any suggested drummer for this group?

Vocals: Bruce Dickinson
Guitars: Eddie Van Halen and Tony Iommi
Bassist: Robert Trujillo

Dave Lombardo would be cool. Or Nick Menza like @bozziovai suggested. Also Gene Hoglan is always a solid choice xD

or double up on Maiden and bring in Nicko McBrain 

Edited by Dr. Gonzo