talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Metal and Rock

football forum

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Dave Lombardo would be cool. Or Nick Menza like @bozziovai suggested. Also Gene Hoglan is always a solid choice xD

oh yeah !! facking dave !!!    it would be eddie of the roth era/new album in which he sounds so aggressive, honeybabysweetiebabydoll is the song that came to mind.   bruce with his screams and macho-man robert keeping everyone in check ....

i'm listening to mr big with a heavy heart, i just found out today that Pat Torpey had already passed away two months ago :(    mr big is one of my greatest influences and inspirations as a musician.    the hours i've spent playing MR GONE in the drumkit just to instill some discipline in me really helped a lot.  we became a mr.big cover band for a year .. hahayz..... all the memories of mr big as the soundtrack of my teenage years ...... rest in peace Pat ....

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 07:41, bozziovai said:

i'm listening to mr big with a heavy heart, i just found out today that Pat Torpey had already passed away two months ago :(    mr big is one of my greatest influences and inspirations as a musician.    the hours i've spent playing MR GONE in the drumkit just to instill some discipline in me really helped a lot.  we became a mr.big cover band for a year .. hahayz..... all the memories of mr big as the soundtrack of my teenage years ...... rest in peace Pat ....

The amount of talent in Mr. Big is insane. I can't say I'm too familiar with the band tbh, but I just read their wiki and it's all people I've heard of who are immensely talented. RIP.

The other day I made the mistake of clicking a link to a video I really didn't want to see... the video of Dimebag being murdered on stage. Pretty sad because Pantera are one of the bands that really got me into metal and (as cliché as it is for a metal fan who plays guitar)... Dimebag was also inspirational as fuck to me (like your Mr. Torpey). You can catch him just flop over after being shot... I really wish I didn't see it.

But aside from making me very very sad, it also made me sort of nostalgic so I've been on a bit of a Pantera kick. It's a bit weird because... I know Phil Anselmo is white power-y, and I hate that... but I fucking love Pantera. And when I've been getting him from work I've been grabbing a guitar and having a blast playing these songs I haven't played in years.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The amount of talent in Mr. Big is insane. I can't say I'm too familiar with the band tbh, but I just read their wiki and it's all people I've heard of who are immensely talented. RIP.

The other day I made the mistake of clicking a link to a video I really didn't want to see... the video of Dimebag being murdered on stage. Pretty sad because Pantera are one of the bands that really got me into metal and (as cliché as it is for a metal fan who plays guitar)... Dimebag was also inspirational as fuck to me (like your Mr. Torpey). You can catch him just flop over after being shot... I really wish I didn't see it.

But aside from making me very very sad, it also made me sort of nostalgic so I've been on a bit of a Pantera kick. It's a bit weird because... I know Phil Anselmo is white power-y, and I hate that... but I fucking love Pantera. And when I've been getting him from work I've been grabbing a guitar and having a blast playing these songs I haven't played in years.

yeah.   the Diamond Darrell Tone.   some people hate it, but i love it.   it's guitar right in your face.  he is the reason why my band mate bought that Korg Pedal, i forgot the model name, but it was the very first digital guitar effects with 4 pedals.    coz we were experimenting with all the Boss Pedal combos, but can't find that CRUNCH that Darrell has.

just an irrelevant fyi mate Gonzo, but i'm born in 78, maybe we're about the same age coz the way we're brought up in music is about the same :P 

2 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

yeah.   the Diamond Darrell Tone.   some people hate it, but i love it.   it's guitar right in your face.  he is the reason why my band mate bought that Korg Pedal, i forgot the model name, but it was the very first digital guitar effects with 4 pedals.    coz we were experimenting with all the Boss Pedal combos, but can't find that CRUNCH that Darrell has.

just an irrelevant fyi mate Gonzo, but i'm born in 78, maybe we're about the same age coz the way we're brought up in music is about the same :P 

I was born in '88 - I discovered the awesomeness of metal late in the 90s (my first Metallica album was the Black Album, but it was at least 5-6 years after it came out... so Metallica were well past their "we've sold out" point), other than my exposure to Sabbath from my dad (and Sabbath is and remains fucking excellent). My friend's brother also taught me guitar and he was really into metal and I'm pretty sure at that time Pantera were fucking massive, so once I asked him to teach me something off the Black Album and he started showing me more and more metal that was popular at the time.

And that's when I learned: "holy shit metal is awesome." So I didn't get to see a lot of the "golden era" of some of my favourite bands, unfortunately.

I don't necessarily think Dimebag had the best tone (I think Carcass's Bill Steer off Heartwork/Surgical Steel is pretty fucking phenomenal tone) but it's an unmistakable raw guitar tone, that like you say... is just right in your face. Punching your face hard like the album cover for A Vulgar Display of Power haha. It's a bit like Entombed's buzzsaw tone from their first two albums (the secret to their is the Boss Metal Zone pedal, everything dimed up to 10 - probably the only practical use for that awful pedal lol). But I think Dimebag's is more raw and powerful... and sludgy.

You know the secret to Dimebag's tone is actually those solid state Randall RG amplifiers? I couldn't believe he didn't use valve amps until after Pantera broke up. Kind a weird fact.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I was born in '88 - I discovered the awesomeness of metal late in the 90s (my first Metallica album was the Black Album, but it was at least 5-6 years after it came out... so Metallica were well past their "we've sold out" point), other than my exposure to Sabbath from my dad (and Sabbath is and remains fucking excellent). My friend's brother also taught me guitar and he was really into metal and I'm pretty sure at that time Pantera were fucking massive, so once I asked him to teach me something off the Black Album and he started showing me more and more metal that was popular at the time.

And that's when I learned: "holy shit metal is awesome." So I didn't get to see a lot of the "golden era" of some of my favourite bands, unfortunately.

I don't necessarily think Dimebag had the best tone (I think Carcass's Bill Steer off Heartwork/Surgical Steel is pretty fucking phenomenal tone) but it's an unmistakable raw guitar tone, that like you say... is just right in your face. Punching your face hard like the album cover for A Vulgar Display of Power haha. It's a bit like Entombed's buzzsaw tone from their first two albums (the secret to their is the Boss Metal Zone pedal, everything dimed up to 10 - probably the only practical use for that awful pedal lol). But I think Dimebag's is more raw and powerful... and sludgy.

You know the secret to Dimebag's tone is actually those solid state Randall RG amplifiers? I couldn't believe he didn't use valve amps until after Pantera broke up. Kind a weird fact.

fortunately for my friend, i broke his guitar effects, it fell off my back pack while we're going to do a gig and so he bought a newer one, the one with the wah-wah pedal.

well, for my musical history, i'm exposed to music at a very young age.   i often listen to my dad's Toto, Daryl Hall and most of his records and like i said in another thread, it was my cousin who introduced me to hard rock, so i bought Queen Greatest Hits as my first cassette :P   All those time i was already musically inclined but i don't have any interest in any instrument ( crazy, right ?? haha ).   It was not until high school that me and my childhood friends saw Guns N Roses Live in Japan.   We were all dumbstruck, especially that solo of Slash with the godfather theme, having pumped up, we went to this Studio for Rent, without knowing any instrument.   We just asked ourselves to which instrument fascinated us most ...... so, i went to the drums and said to myself .. WOW !! THIS IS GONNA BE DIFFICULT.    So, we started to learn our instruments, we started to transcribe the simplest of songs .. NIRVANA and the Grunge Era coincided with our growth.   Our parents were supportive enough to send us to some music school during the summer vacation.... and that's the time we dipped our toes into metal, i mean, to play metal.   the fabled Enter Sandman was the very first metal song we transcribed ...... and we went off to cover the first 5 albums of Metallica and then came Mr. Big, i was arrogant to say, FACK, THIS IS GONNA BE EASY, but boy, i'm facking wrong.   That Mr. Gone was THE shit of all discipline .... and then we ventured into Dream Theater, Awake and Images and Words were their albums that time........i can go on and on hehe........... sorry .. very long story ...... fond memories .............  but we never did Megadeth, my friend ( the guitarist ) is scared of Marty's solos hahahahah.   Not scared of Petrucci though ...

back to tone ..... Entombed and Dismember has some crazy tones and so does Napalm Death.      Entombed's Clandestine is one of the best death metal or whatever genre they're in, albums ....

You guys must be very fucking good to play Dream Theatre. And I understand being scared of Marty's solos for sure haha, I remember learning Hanger 18 and going through the 10 (or something) solos. It took me months until I could properly play along with that song. I never learned any Slayer solos though, other than the songs I learned off their first album. I just did my own solos over their own solos.

Are you familiar with any Warbringer? I ask because as a drummer, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the work on any of their latest 3 albums - a friend of a friend, that I've hung out with a few times and think he's a very cool guy, is Carlos Cruz - their drummer.He's also the drummer for Skeletal Remains & for Chris Poland's band Ohm as the late legendary Nick Menza's replacement. Aside from being a very nice and cool guy, I think Carlos is a brilliant drummer. And Warbringer are one of the better modern thrash bands imo.

On 4/11/2018 at 21:57, Dr. Gonzo said:

You guys must be very fucking good to play Dream Theatre. And I understand being scared of Marty's solos for sure haha, I remember learning Hanger 18 and going through the 10 (or something) solos. It took me months until I could properly play along with that song. I never learned any Slayer solos though, other than the songs I learned off their first album. I just did my own solos over their own solos.

Are you familiar with any Warbringer? I ask because as a drummer, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the work on any of their latest 3 albums - a friend of a friend, that I've hung out with a few times and think he's a very cool guy, is Carlos Cruz - their drummer.He's also the drummer for Skeletal Remains & for Chris Poland's band Ohm as the late legendary Nick Menza's replacement. Aside from being a very nice and cool guy, I think Carlos is a brilliant drummer. And Warbringer are one of the better modern thrash bands imo.

sorry for the late reply, was listening to some Warbringer songs before i can make a comment about them ...

thanks for the heads up on Warbringer.     It's such a relief that the younger generation has interest in trash metal.    they are the future of metal.     but i can't help but to say every now and then  " Ok, that was a Slayer riff ....  ok that was a Slayer solo" ... "exodus there" .. and there's one song that has that Kill Em All Metallica feel to it.     But hey, what can we do, no matter how original we try to sound the music that we produce is the culmination of our influences.    Even established gods such as Dream Theater has songs that are very evident of their heroes.   New Mellenium is very much King Crimson.    Through the Looking Glass is just a heavy Rush song.

As for Carlos Cruz.   very tight drummer.    His fills are very much metal.   Coz it's very hard to keep yourself in check with your fills in a metal song, you limit yourself and the song becomes boring and if you make it very colorful, it's not metal anymore, it becomes progressive.    Just enough to instill your presence in the song but not taking center stage.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bozziovai said:

sorry for the late reply, was listening to some Warbringer songs before i can make a comment about them ...

thanks for the heads up on Warbringer.     It's such a relief that the younger generation has interest in trash metal.    they are the future of metal.     but i can't help but to say every now and then  " Ok, that was a Slayer riff ....  ok that was a Slayer solo" ... "exodus there" .. and there's one song that has that Kill Em All Metallica feel to it.     But hey, what can we do, no matter how original we try to sound the music that we produce is the culmination of our influences.    Even established gods such as Dream Theater has songs that are very evident of their heroes.   New Mellenium is very much King Crimson.    Through the Looking Glass is just a heavy Rush song.

As for Carlos Cruz.   very tight drummer.    His fills are very much metal.   Coz it's very hard to keep yourself in check with your fills in a metal song, you limit yourself and the song becomes boring and if you make it very colorful, it's not metal anymore, it becomes progressive.    Just enough to instill your presence in the song but not taking center stage.  

I agree with you that the new generation of thrash is suuuuper derivative. And with Warbringer I hear lots of little parts of Slayer all over the place. You sort of see something similar with Slayer's first album (you can really hear the Iron Maiden & Judas Priest influences)... but there's no doubt that the era of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, Anthrax, etc... brought a lot more originality to the table. They were genre defining.

Bands like Warbringer are just sort of carrying on the torch - but there's nothing groundbreaking or genre defining.

Carlos is a really good drummer - aside from Warbringer, he's also on the latest Skeletal Remains album, and I've never listened to Ohm... but I think they're a jazz band (I think...) and I know he said he played in a few jazz bands before. He also writes a lot of the lyrics and riffs for Warbringer. Very fun & cool guy too.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

On 4/14/2018 at 05:26, Dr. Gonzo said:

I agree with you that the new generation of thrash is suuuuper derivative. And with Warbringer I hear lots of little parts of Slayer all over the place. You sort of see something similar with Slayer's first album (you can really hear the Iron Maiden & Judas Priest influences)... but there's no doubt that the era of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus, Anthrax, etc... brought a lot more originality to the table. They were genre defining.

Bands like Warbringer are just sort of carrying on the torch - but there's nothing groundbreaking or genre defining.

Carlos is a really good drummer - aside from Warbringer, he's also on the latest Skeletal Remains album, and I've never listened to Ohm... but I think they're a jazz band (I think...) and I know he said he played in a few jazz bands before. He also writes a lot of the lyrics and riffs for Warbringer. Very fun & cool guy too.

yes.    when you hear the name Megadeth you can always associate it with Speed Metal.    Exodus - Trash Metal.    Metallica - Heavy Metal.    Slayer - Speed/Trash Metal.    There were no Buts and Ifs in the golden years.    Maybe that's why those pioneering bands have endured so much coz when we listen to them, we know it's something authentic.

Exmortus is an interesting band. I guess their most recent album and their upcoming album also feature Carlos (and I guess he was only a temporary member of Skeletal Remains, but they're still quality) as well as the lead guitarist from Warbringer. Pretty interesting, got a heavy neo-classical influence:

• 2 weeks later...

So on Friday I saw Testament, Behemoth, Anthrax, Lamb of God, and Slayer and that was fucking fantastic. It was my 3rd time seeing Slayer (the first time I saw them, it was the original lineup, so that was cool RIP Jeff), but my second time seeing Anthrax. And I forgot the same thing I realised after seeing Anthrax the first time: "wow they're really fucking good live" - but I don't really know any of their stuff but the classics (which was most of their set tbh). But I decided to give their newest album a listen.

It's not the same as the classics, obviously. But it's cool to have Joey Belladonna back as the singer and the album is very fucking strong. Quality shit.