talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

England Friendlies Announced for September

England will play home games against Switzerland and the United States having finalised their 2018 autumn schedule.

The matches will complement the new UEFA Nations League programme with Gareth Southgate's team facing home and away dates with Croatia and Spain in the inaugural national-team competition.

Switzerland will visit on Tuesday, September 11, with the venue yet to be decided, while the United States fixture on Thursday, November 15 will take place at Wembley Stadium.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

should be routine wins in both.

positive sign that venue is still to be decided for the Switzerland game possibly meaning it's played away from Wembley. 

I wonder how much bearing the World Rankings have had on the selection of England’s opponents for the friendlies in September and November?

The UEFA Nations League has thrown up two difficult opponents in Spain and Croatia and ‘relegation’ to becoming one of the teams in Pot B is a real possibility, while friendlies still ‘count’ towards the World Ranking so friendlies against perceived ‘weaker’ nations in Switzerland and the US is an opportunity for England to keep a decent World Ranking, which I assume goes someway to determining what pot England would find themselves in for tournament qualification in the future. 

Becoming a ‘secondary’ nation in terms of qualification for tournaments would put England in a difficult situation as getting drawn with a big nation would potentially push them into the play-off’s. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
5 hours ago, Dan said:

The Switzerland game is rumoured to be at our ground. I'm there if so.

Fuck off is it. I'll be on holiday during that weekend. Ffs. 

On 4/18/2018 at 13:09, Smiley Culture said:

Dull. Nigeria, Costa Rica, Switzerland and the USA. Hardly likely to draw crowds with that calibre of opposition. 

Nigeria I would argue are better than England and Costa Rica aren't far off either, I agree they aren't top football names that guarantee crowds but they are good teams.

I don't rate the Swiss or the USA though. I can imagine Costa Rica is to prepare for Panama and Nigeria for Tunisia. The latter doesn't make sense to me though, as the styles don't even come close. They should have gone for Egypt, Algeria or Morrocco instead, but maybe they didn't want to.

5 hours ago, Blue said:

Nigeria I would argue are better than England and Costa Rica aren't far off either, I agree they aren't top football names that guarantee crowds but they are good teams.

I don't rate the Swiss or the USA though. I can imagine Costa Rica is to prepare for Panama and Nigeria for Tunisia. The latter doesn't make sense to me though, as the styles don't even come close. They should have gone for Egypt, Algeria or Morrocco instead, but maybe they didn't want to.

Nigeria are better than England? You're such a fucking wet wipe some times.

Nigeria and Costa Rica is purely because of who they've drawn in the World Cup. Southgate admitted it himself.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Nigeria and Costa Rica is purely because of who they've drawn in the World Cup. Southgate admitted it himself.

You don't need to result to personal insults over my opinion. Thanks.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I find this quite a bizarre theory in all honesty. Do Panama really play like Costa Rica? Do Nigeria really play like Tunisia?

I don't see the harm in playing them but it looks a little short sighted to me.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

I find this quite a bizarre theory in all honesty. Do Panama really play like Costa Rica? Do Nigeria really play like Tunisia?

Panama do in a way, but Nigeria don't. Not even close.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

It’s a sweeping generalisation about teams from both continents but yeah, the reason they were selected as pre-tournament opposition was because we have an African and a South American team in the group’s. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

The King Power Stadium is set to host the friendly against Switzerland @Stan @Dan

saw this earlier. Bang in the middle of my holiday to France ffs. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 17/05/2018 at 19:03, Dan said:

Brian Nigeria aren't better than England xD I'm not letting you off with that one.

On 17/05/2018 at 14:59, Blue said:

Just noticed the nigeria better than england comment.  Ow brian i love you

On 17/05/2018 at 21:25, Blue said:

You don't need to result to personal insults over my opinion. Thanks.

I agree its not nice mate

Archived