talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Neymar Expects World Cup Return

Injured Brazil striker Neymar has targeted May 17 for a return to training and vowed to work harder than ever to be ready for this year's World Cup in Russia.

The PSG forward, who became the world's most expensive footballer when he joined the club from Barcelona in August, had an operation on his foot after being injured on February 25.

He has been receiving treatment in Brazil and said he expects to be training exactly a month before the five-times champions play their World Cup opener against Switzerland on June 17.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neymar has been out since February following surgery on a metatarsal fracture, but has accentuated the positive from that setback.

“I will have enough time to arrive at the World Cup in good shape and prepare,” said the Paris Saint-Germain attacker, who is fourth on Brazil’s list of all-time leading marksmen (53 goals) behind Romario (55), Ronaldo (62) and Pele (77). “Being injured isn’t good, but I feel rested. We have to look at the positives.”

Brazil face Switzerland, Costa Rica and Serbia in Group E.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Reading this article there's nothing too unusual. Neymar seems a bit cautious after a long injury lay-off. Needs some time to adjust and get back to playing etc.

But what struck me the most is that he's 26 :o. Thought he was much younger for some reason.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12027/11387741/neymar-not-yet-at-100-per-cent-following-surgery-on-fractured-foot

Neymar admits he is "not yet at 100 percent" following surgery on his fractured right foot but has declared himself fit enough to play for Brazil at the World Cup.

The Brazil forward has not played since injuring himself playing for PSG in a league game against Marseille in February, but has been training for the past 10 days and took part in a national team preparation camp this week.

Neymar said: "I'm not yet at 100 per cent. That will come with time. I'm still a bit scared of going all out, but there are still several days before our start.

"It's going to take a bit more time for this fear to go away, but I'm ready to play. Nothing can stop me from doing so,"

Speaking before boarding a flight to London, where the Brazil team will continue their World Cup preparations, he added:
"I feel good physically. My foot is fine. Of course I have to adjust to certain things. I'm feeling a bit of discomfort but it's not going to stop me from playing."

The 26-year-old also reflected on what was a frustrating 2014 World Cup experience on home soil, as a back injury ruled him out of Brazil's humiliating 7-1 loss to Germany in the semi-finals.

"It's a dream to play in another World Cup, a dream which I hope won't be interrupted again," he said.

Brazil will play two warm-up matches before travelling to Russia, with a friendly against Croatia at Anfield on June 3 before a trip to Vienna to face Austria on June 10.

52 minutes ago, Stan said:

Reading this article there's nothing too unusual. Neymar seems a bit cautious after a long injury lay-off. Needs some time to adjust and get back to playing etc.

But what struck me the most is that he's 26 :o. Thought he was much younger for some reason.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12027/11387741/neymar-not-yet-at-100-per-cent-following-surgery-on-fractured-foot

Given the season some of their emerging attacking players have had (Jesus, Firminho, Costa etc) I wonder if the presence of a global superstar that's such a focus could be a slight hindrance.

Archived