talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsène Wenger to Step Down at End of the Season

football forum

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondered which managers do arsenal fans think could improve arsenal. I think simeone and allegri would probably improve us. Tuchel maybe, jardin maybe but to get us to the level that a lot of fans want ie champions league contenders would be very difficult. 

It's going to be a massive summer for Arsenal. Firstly they have to keep Sanchez and Ozil sweet, then they have to sign more defenders to play in this three at the back system, and Wenger's already mentioned the squad has too many players so some squad players will have to leave. 

On 6/1/2017 at 02:56, Danny said:

But if you were to "challenge" and fail as you have done in previous seasons, you will just moan about "bottling" it against teams with larger resources if you don't win.

Arsenal have had some bad results in Europe and I'm not denying that, but they've also just won THREE FA Cups in FOUR years. "Big" clubs would be proud of that achievement. I don't normally write in capitals but apparently a lot of people lack perspective when talking about Arsene Wenger and Arsenal.

i don't know but the FA CUP wins of arsenal are meaningless for me.   Only the latest win against chelsea has some weight in it.    how can you be proud when you only beat aston villa and hull city.

when was the last time arsenal won the league ???   15 years ago ??

just look at chelsea ... they've changed coaches from time to time and yet, they've won the leagues with those changes.     and also manchester City.  why can't arsenal do the same ??

arsene is stale or in football terms, he is a dinosaur .... like i said on the other thread, if arsene still has respect for arsenal, he should step down as manager.

Arsene Wenger insists he can turn things around at Arsenal, but admits his side will now not finish in the top four.

The Arsenal manager is under intense pressure after losing 2-1 at Brighton on Super Sunday - a fourth straight defeat in all competitions and an eighth loss in their last 13 matches.

Some away supporters chanted and held up banners calling for his sacking, but Wenger says he is not ready to call time on his 22-year tenure, despite suffering the worst run of his time in charge of the club.

8 hours ago, bozziovai said:

i don't know but the FA CUP wins of arsenal are meaningless for me.   Only the latest win against chelsea has some weight in it.    how can you be proud when you only beat aston villa and hull city.

when was the last time arsenal won the league ???   15 years ago ??

just look at chelsea ... they've changed coaches from time to time and yet, they've won the leagues with those changes.     and also manchester City.  why can't arsenal do the same ??

arsene is stale or in football terms, he is a dinosaur .... like i said on the other thread, if arsene still has respect for arsenal, he should step down as manager.

Why can't all the other clubs in the league?

Everyone has given up and just waiting for Wenger to go, the players and even the staff like Steve Bould just do not look interested anymore. The only person keeping Wenger there is Stan Kronke, like he voted the 2 board members to stay when every other share holder voted them out but as Kronke is the majority shareholder they kept their place.    The crowd is very toxic and even the dressing room is now.

I think they are waiting for the Europa league matches now to finally sack Wenger but he will not go until the end of the season even if Milan win, no way no matter how much Kroenke likes Wenger he cannot keep him on.

It just seems a waste of a season and everything Wenger tries is just failing even the new signings just have not made no effect what so ever and seem a bit pointless to even getting those players due to their age and price tag. 

8 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Why can't all the other clubs in the league?

oh, they've tried, but they are on a different battle field.    some are happy to be in mid-table while the others are fighting for survival.     if your team arsenal is that big of a club like most arsenal fans are saying here then they should be there wrestling for the top prize, not the top four but for the EPL trophy itself.

in january all the fan-fare for the transfer of Henrikh and Auba but look at your team now, where are these two ???   being defeated 3-0 in succession by City and last night, stomped by Brighton ( 12th place ) 2-1.

but yeah, you keep your loyalty with Arsene and keep swimming around 5th place and in the europa league and win the FA Cup year after year, that'll make you happy and satisfied, right ???

34 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

oh, they've tried, but they are on a different battle field.    some are happy to be in mid-table while the others are fighting for survival.     if your team arsenal is that big of a club like most arsenal fans are saying here then they should be there wrestling for the top prize, not the top four but for the EPL trophy itself.

in january all the fan-fare for the transfer of Henrikh and Auba but look at your team now, where are these two ???   being defeated 3-0 in succession by City and last night, stomped by Brighton ( 12th place ) 2-1.

but yeah, you keep your loyalty with Arsene and keep swimming around 5th place and in the europa league and win the FA Cup year after year, that'll make you happy and satisfied, right ???

You know what's worse...

Worse is when someone doesn't stand up for what he or she wants, what they really believe in and just give up and fall into the way everyone's generally thinking.  Doing that and still throwing words that have another meaning behind them because the truth in how you feel and what you really want is hidden in those words.

The fact the players have lost confidence is normal and even more normal is underachieving even for the level you're really at when you've lost your confidence.  It's part of a manager's job to lift players... Ask Simeone!

19 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

You know what's worse...

Worse is when someone doesn't stand up for what he or she wants, what they really believe in and just give up and fall into the way everyone's generally thinking.  Doing that and still throwing words that have another meaning behind them because the truth in how you feel and what you really want is hidden in those words.

The fact the players have lost confidence is normal and even more normal is underachieving even for the level you're really at when you've lost your confidence.  It's part of a manager's job to lift players... Ask Simeone!

exactly.    i'm appalled reading the comments of arsenal fans defending Arsene.    Why would they defend a manager who hasn't delivered in all fronts for the past 15 years.  Yes, they have won the FA Cup but it was against weaker teams.      Why can't they be honest with themselves.

well, not just Diego but Claudio himself, how he managed to bring out the best of his players when Leicester ( mediocre players ) won the EPL will be forever considered the biggest achievement in managerial history.

26 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

exactly.    i'm appalled reading the comments of arsenal fans defending Arsene.    Why would they defend a manager who hasn't delivered in all fronts for the past 15 years.  Yes, they have won the FA Cup but it was against weaker teams.      Why can't they be honest with themselves.

well, not just Diego but Claudio himself, how he managed to bring out the best of his players when Leicester ( mediocre players ) won the EPL will be forever considered the biggest achievement in managerial history.

Well as far as I'm concerned it's not even those fans that have forever stuck to their guns and continue to defend Arsene Wenger. I admire that... But what I don't like are those that reluctantly "change their mind" but still mask their words of "he has to leave now" with underlying words of still wanting him to stay by blaming others on the current situation (the current situation being a development of years of bad work), the fans for helping put fuel to the fire and all other manners of blah blah blah... 

Theyre still not convinced and even if they are, they don't like it but concede that the situation is way to bad now.

I admire and acknowledge the fine work Wenger done in the early years at Arsenal coupled with some other things along the way after that.  But I support Arsenal Football Club and not Arsene Wenger! 

6 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

On my phone so can't post the link (might be old news by now too) but Arsene Wenger is now the favourite for the Everton job. 

Hmmmm.

Given Usmanov owns Everton from afar and Moshiri is running it, it would be an easy transition for him. 

It would be a sad to see him leave Arsenal for a club that hasn't finished above them in his entire 20 years there. I'd rather he retire or look for an overseas or international job.

1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

Given Usmanov owns Everton from afar and Moshiri is running it, it would be an easy transition for him. 

It would be a sad to see him leave Arsenal for a club that hasn't finished above them in his entire 20 years there. I'd rather he retire or look for an overseas or international job.

Wenger is an intelligent man, of that there's no doubt. I very much doubt he'll move from one job and straight into another much less one within the same league.  If or when he does finally step down from the Arsenal job (in whatever fashion that manifests itself) he'll probably stay out of football for a bit and then like you say, either take a manager's job at a club overseas (PSG likely) or the obvious bet which would be the France national team job once the World Cup is over because I can't see Deschamps wanting to stay on at international level much longer.

3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Moshiri (ex Arsenal shareholder) owns us and Usmanov is his best mate (and owns the naming rights to our training complex).

Whilst I don't believe it will happen, there are enough lines to draw. 

Most rumours in football come from drawing lines and connecting them to theoretical dots mate.  Who knows, because nothing is certain in life but the move within the same league (not because it's Everton at all) would be very very strange considering what's going on.  It just seems very uncharacteristic of Wenger.

Another thing I want to add to lazy easy journalism although which could be viable. Providing Real Madrid don't win the Champions League which under normal circumstances considering their form this season, they will probably be eliminated at some point along the way and when that does occur it will be confirmed that Zidane won't be at the Santiago Bernabéu next season... The rumours will then place the old Frenchman at Real for sure!

Wenger would be a terrible appointment for either Everton or especially Real Madrid. He's been taking Arsenal backwards for a decade and proven himself incapable of motivating and setting up his team time and time again, especially for big games. Why would you want someone like that? For a team like Real Madrid who enter every season with ambitions to win the Champions League, I genuinely can't think of anyone worse.

Thought Everton had Simeone and Ancelotti in the bag anyway.

7 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

There's speculation that Simeone enquired about the Everton project as recent as a few months ago but which newspaper do you believe?

It could be anyone really. Wenger, Ancelotti, Silva, Simeone, Moyes, Boris Johnson. 

Anyone.

I reckon you should give Sol Campbell a shot mate

• The title was changed to Arsenal Fans Slam 'Disgraceful' Thierry Henry After 'Snubbing' Wenger Send-Off

Archived