talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsène Wenger to Step Down at End of the Season

football forum

football forum

In light of a 3-0 defeat to Crystal Palace which now gives Arsenal five away defeats in a row Arsene Wenger's tenure at the his club is under more scrutiny than ever before.

With a confirmed two year deal on the table will the Frenchman sign up or walk away?

Note: This is what you think will happen, not what you personally want.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he'll go...  His job is unattainable, but for me that is unfortunately not enough.  The board should go too but that one is obviously not going to occur.  It's their fault Wenger has been at the club for 10 years scratching his bum and watching his bank account grow.

Well he will probably miss out on a Champions League spot and that will have a financial impact on the club. I think he will part after the season ends, not a on a high though. I expected them to raise their form and take something out of the Spurs game, i can see a mauling at White Hart Lane in line now.

• Administrator

I think he'll go. Surely position is untenable now? Ridiculous state of affairs the club has got itself in to now. 

Wenger's not the only one to blame but he is a big part of it. 

22 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

He will stay. It's borderline hilarious he's waited almost a month now for a good result to announce it.

If that's the case that he'll stay, then he'll probably announce it if we qualify for the Europa League.  No longer will it be the respectable Arsenal managerial career of getting Arsenal to participate (because participate is all it's always been) in the Champions League...  Now it will be painted as "qualified for Europe for over two decades".

How embarrassing it should be for him to get beaten 3-0 by one of the "smaller" clubs in london 2 weeks after claiming there is only one club in london. If he has any shame, he should apologise to the fans and just quit right away.

I think he will go, its becoming too much for the old man

Reports in Holland, Arsenal have contacted Ajax for the services of Marc Overmars to become the first technical director at the club.  Wenger is strongly against it, Gazidis apparently has met a number of fans behind Wenger's back as well as taking advice from other people in football.  Wenger has been told he has to clear out his back room staff so a new team will come in plus the whole structure at the club will be changed plus an appointment of a director of football to come in.    I do believe Gazidis is as accountable as Wenger for the trouble at the club regarding the football side because it has been neglected due to the money coming into the club and Wenger is not capable on his own to do the football side as his ideas are so out dated.  You cannot really blame Kroenke to much as he has made money available to the club but the wrong players have been brought in for lots of money plus the contract side is a joke on how it is run which is down to Gazidis/Wenger. 

He'll go out of Arsenal in a coffin and, though he should have probably been sacked a long, long time ago as football is a results business and his results haven't been good enough for where Arsenal should be aspiring to be, I can't help admiring the loyalty his board shows in him, even if it probably isn't justified. It's a rare thing today, especially in football, and it should be commended (on some level at least).

• 3 weeks later...

I think if Arsenal win the FA Cup the board may decide to give him one more season while they sort out potential replacements and the like. I know a lot of Arsenal and pro-Wenger fans who want this to be the outcome, as they want to make sure it's as smooth a transition as possible after seeing what happened when Sir Alex left United. 

But personally Arsene Wenger really doesn't have anything more he can do for Arsenal. Regardless of the result of the FA Cup final I think this really should be the end of that era. And they'll have the likes of Jardim, Allegri and Tuchel to look at as some high class potential replacements, all three of whom would do a fantastic job for them I think.

5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Wenger talks to take place after FA Cup Final:

skysports-arsene-wenger-arsenal-training

Arsene Wenger says an announcement on his future is likely to be made following an Arsenal board meeting to be held after the FA Cup final.

The Gunners boss has confirmed his position will be discussed with the club's hierarchy after the clash with Chelsea at Wembley on May 27, along with summer transfer business and ongoing contract talks with Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez.

But Wenger refused to discuss the continued uncertainty over his job ahead of their final Premier League game of the season against Everton on Sunday, with his contract set to expire this summer.

The Frenchman said: "I cannot tell you (about my future). The most important thing is to win on Sunday and what happens to me after can wait. I'm here to serve the club.

A man that earns the stupid amount of money he does shouldn't use the word or term "serve".  Everything else is by the by because Arsenal being a PLC means us fans mean nothing where our opinions are concerned.

• The title was changed to Arsenal Fans Slam 'Disgraceful' Thierry Henry After 'Snubbing' Wenger Send-Off

Archived