talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Saturday 21st April - West Brom 2-2 Liverpool

football forum

• Administrator

Kick-off 12.30

Coverage - sky.PNG

Image result for West brom logo     VS     b297d8b4ac5b5ce9ff69fed5706e3de2219b4f88

Last 5
Man Utd 0-1 West Brom
West Brom 1-1 Swansea
West Brom 1-2 Burnley
Bournemouth 2-1 West Brom
West Brom 1-4 Leicester

Liverpool 3-0 Bournemouth
Man City 1-2 Liverpool
Everton 0-0 Liverpool
Liverpool 3-0 Man City
Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool

Match Info
West Brom's win over Man Utd was their first clean sheet since the 2-0 win over Brighton on 13th January
It was their first away win since beating Burnley on 19th August 2017, also a 1-0 win
West Brom need to realisitically win all their remaining games to have any chance of surviving, but they are all but doomed for relegation
Liverpool still have a chance of 2nd spot and will be buoyed by Man Utd dropping points last week to their opponents
Interestingly, Liverpool have not been above 3rd spot since the 3rd week of the season
Liverpool have only lost twice in 25 Premier League matches
3 of their final 4 games, included this one, are against bottom-half clubs. 
It ended 0-0 in the reverse fixture in December. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

Play the fringe players please

Why? We still need 2 wins out of 4 games to see Chelsea off and we play them at the Bridge. 

We are best off playing full strength, get the win, so our game against them doesn’t matter much. 

I think we can go pretty much full strength this weekend and then rest between the two semi final legs. Hopefully get the game won and then bring Salah and Firmino or whoever off early. It's ok resting players but we don't really want to have important players going about 10 days without a game either

I can't remember what thread I said it in but I mentioned that if Klopp can sort out the discipline in Liverpool's defence then who knows where they could end up going... 

The reply was that it had been sorted since January... 

This result is what I am talking about when I say about defensive discipline... 

7 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I can't remember what thread I said it in but I mentioned that if Klopp can sort out the discipline in Liverpool's defence then who knows where they could end up going... 

Only Karius and Van Dijk started from the regular back five today. Lovren finished it as part of a back three but them two full backs today are shite. Trent and Robertson are massive upgrades on the two from today. Shows the lack of quality depth in the squad for sure

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Judging by the lineup and the fouls I’ve seen on Twitter it looks more like a fluke result than a sign of something bigger.

Being defensively disciplined doesn’t mean you literally never concede set-pieces. But Liverpool being flakey is the kind of thing that people who want to believe it can never be wrong about; you can just wait as long as you want, and no matter how occasional or inconsequential the slip-up is, you can take it as evidence you’re right.

It’s the same with people who hate zonal-marking. Even if its observable that the teams that use it concede less, any time it goes wrong is taken as proof that it’s useless.

Really disappointing result. I don't know about anyone else but I'd like to see us beat united to second place and this does typify what we are capable of defensively in our worst moments and why you can never relax with a narrow lead as a Liverpool supporter.

The reason i want second is because at our best we deserve it. We are the only genuine rivals to city in terms of the football being played and the excitement being wrought. The reason we won't get there provably is results like this. 

We need a significant reinforcement in the defensive line up in the Sumner. We lack quality in depth. 

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Only Karius and Van Dijk started from the regular back five today. Lovren finished it as part of a back three but them two full backs today are shite. Trent and Robertson are massive upgrades on the two from today. Shows the lack of quality depth in the squad for sure

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

Judging by the lineup and the fouls I’ve seen on Twitter it looks more like a fluke result than a sign of something bigger.

Being defensively disciplined doesn’t mean you literally never concede set-pieces. But Liverpool being flakey is the kind of that people who want to believe it can never be wrong about; you can just wait as long as you want, and no matter how occasional or inconsequential the slip-up is, you can take it as evidence you’re right.

It's not a dig or a justification, Just an observation... You will always concede goals no matter how good you are, It's a near impossibility that any side could go a season without conceding that's a fact. 

Both Klopp and Guardiola favour the attacking element as the more important aspect of play in their sides and don't get me wrong it's bloody entertaining but even Guardiola said after Chelsea knocked Barcelona out in 2012 that you can't just rely on attacking being the only option and that they needed to learn how to defend as a unit as well... Klopp has at least tried to rectify this and their result against City in the CL league 3-0 win showed how they could be both an attacking force and disciplined defensively so they can get it right.. 

This game was a typical banana skin for Pool... and they slipped on it

I bet there were a large number of Pool supporters out there this week that saw this fixture and thought Salah could probably get a hat trick today and blow Kane out of the equation... West Brom a bottom side who have conceded nearly 60 goals and only scored a third of what Pool have who wouldn't??? The discipline comes in knowing the game on paper seems easy and putting it out of your mind and playing each game as though it were the FA Cup Final.. Today the attack did it's job but the defence did not and it included VVD who I am being told is their rock in defense... I have not seen enough of him to make a judgement on that but going by what I read on here he has been fairly solid.. 

Again I will emphasize that I don't talk about this to wind people up or have a crafty dig as Liverpool have had an outstanding season and you will always get the odd game where things go totally tits up but how many games have you had this season where late pressure from the opposition has caused you to concede and ultimately drop points?? Great sides can ride out them storms and close them games down and hold on for all 3 points.. Chelsea under Mourinho were a good example of this.. However, he was the complete opposite of Klopp putting all his eggs in the defensive basket.. which is not a great joy to watch but does tend to get the Silverware.. 

Personally I prefer the more entertaining games like Liverpool and City have dished up this season as opposed to the dull defensive stuff... Even City and the likes of Barcelona and PSG have shown no matter how great that attack it's worthless when it comes to winning something decent in Europe if they don't have defensive discipline... 

I suppose because I have been reading a lot about Liverpool supporters who think next season will be their year and they are going to win the CL this season etc... and good luck to them, we need something more than a one horse race to keep it exciting.. Some have been more cautious and grounded if not a little worried and who wouldn't be.. It's getting to that squeeky bum time in Europe now.. Games like this show that there is still some work to be done in the league for Pool defensively if they want to have a good crack at winning the title and even more so if they hope to progress further in Europe... 

Nothing wrong in conceding but when you do it to a side that's rock bottom of the league you have to be worried about the mindset of the players or possibly the tactics employed... Personally I hope they can get it right.. 

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

There was only 1 of our starting 4 defenders playing today mate. 

2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

There was only 1 of our starting 4 defenders playing today mate. 

So I see from LFCMike's post... So the problem is that you lack squad depth, It's understandable with your Roma game due up that changes would be made and in the grand scheme of things the result is hardly a disaster to your league ambitions, there are bigger fish to fry at the moment.. If however you had been battling for the title and still in Europe ( like I am sure you will be hoping for next season ) results like this take on far greater meaning... Bolstering the defence then for greater flexibility or strength in depth might be high on the agenda in the summer perhaps??  

• The title was changed to Saturday 21st April - West Brom 2-2 Liverpool
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived