talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Saturday 21st April - West Brom 2-2 Liverpool

football forum

4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

So I see from LFCMike's post... So the problem is that you lack squad depth, It's understandable with your Roma game due up that changes would be made and in the grand scheme of things the result is hardly a disaster to your league ambitions, there are bigger fish to fry at the moment.. If however you had been battling for the title and still in Europe ( like I am sure you will be hoping for next season ) results like this take on far greater meaning... Bolstering the defence then for greater flexibility or strength in depth might be high on the agenda in the summer perhaps??  

Very much so. But the depth throughout the squad isn't good enough to sustain a title challenge and doing well in Europe. We'll need to spend City sort of money to be able to do both because the depth in the front three isn't great either. Anyone hoping for us to be able to do both next season is unrealistic I think

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one thing about the depth is that Joe Gomez is potentially great depth for RB and CB, but right now is so error prone that he's an absolute liability. Even if he doesn't develop into an amazing player (though imo he absolutely can) he's obviously got talent and the physical qualities you'd want, and so he'll eventually reach a level where he's at least consistent enough to be counted upon, even if he's not an elite centre-half or an elite right-back. 

That makes it tricky to sign a squad player to replace him: he might not be such a liability next season and so it'd be a waste. 

4 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I think one thing about the depth is that Joe Gomez is potentially great depth for RB and CB, but right now is so error prone that he's an absolute liability. Even if he doesn't develop into an amazing player (though imo he absolutely can) he's obviously got talent and the physical qualities you'd want, and so he'll eventually reach a level where he's at least consistent enough to be counted upon, even if he's not an elite centre-half or an elite right-back. 

That makes it tricky to sign a squad player to replace him: he might not be such a liability next season and so it'd be a waste. 

Yeah fair point. Obviously got talent but he just looks like he might cost us pretty much every game when he plays. I know he's just come back from injury but he was looking dodgy before that too

4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Yeah fair point. Obviously got talent but he just looks like he might cost us pretty much every game when he plays. I know he's just come back from injury but he was looking dodgy before that too

Yeah absolutely, the only time where I've ever got the impression that he was quite reliable was in the first games he played for Rodgers at LB. And that's not a big sample of games.

I just don't see him going anywhere. I think Klopp will at least want him there as 4th choice at CB - even in German interviews I've seen he always refers to him as the "next big thing" or the "next generation" of English football. 

1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Apparently a dry pitch was to blame for Liverpool throwing away two points and not the defending.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43762952

"It was a difficult game as the pitch got drier and drier," Klopp told Sky Sports.

"West Brom decided not to water the pitch at half-time and that makes it difficult.

"It makes a massive difference. A team like West Brom do not need a wet pitch, they can do it next year playing on a dry pitch in the Championship."

No need for that nastiness was there.... He could at least try and be professional.. 

5 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

"It was a difficult game as the pitch got drier and drier," Klopp told Sky Sports.

"West Brom decided not to water the pitch at half-time and that makes it difficult.

"It makes a massive difference. A team like West Brom do not need a wet pitch, they can do it next year playing on a dry pitch in the Championship."

No need for that nastiness was there.... He could at least try and be professional.. 

People will probably make more of these comments than they should. I'm assuming he also mentioned how bad the referee was (and rightly so) and how we didn't deal well enough with the two goals.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

People will probably make more of these comments than they should. I'm assuming he also mentioned how bad the referee was (and rightly so) and how we didn't deal well enough with the two goals.

xD I think it was fairly clearly a snide dig... I can't really make any more of it than what it was... 

10 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

xD I think it was fairly clearly a snide dig... I can't really make any more of it than what it was... 

It was but there will be loads of faux outrage from people who hate Liverpool or Klopp.

Classless comments from Klopp blaming the pitch, but in particular saying West Brom's point was useless and that Liverpool needed them not West Brom ("they don't need them, we would have needed them")...why not take a closer look at your own players who fucked up a 2-0 lead to the team bottom of the league! 

Poor from Klopp. He's been in the game long enough now to know that limited teams will use every tactic they can to gain an advantage or try and bring their opponent down a level. Nothing wrong with it. Quite clever actually. You could see Liverpool struggling to make short, snappy passes all game.

The other point is Liverpool got themselves in a great position to win the game. How can you moan at other things when you are 2-0 up with 10 minutes to go.

He'll learn.

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Mourinho would get slaughtered on here if he said something like that to be fair.

Yeah he would. I like klopp but t he does talk as much shit as mourinho sometimes. Both teams played on the same pitch. 

• The title was changed to Saturday 21st April - West Brom 2-2 Liverpool
  • The topic was unpinned
On 22/04/2018 at 05:01, Dan said:

Just seen Klopp's interview. Embarrassing and unnecessary. Think he's definitely got that side to him as well.

Saw him on Channel 4 getting interviewed and he said he regretted saying what he said in anger. At least he can admit it I suppose. I think most football fans can have pretty horrid and spiteful thoughts when things go against them, in a way it's pretty eye-opening to see that a manager can experience the same thing before he gets the chance to censor himself.

Archived