talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2017/18 - 20-24th April, 2018

football forum

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Derby still have something to play for when they face Barnsley.

2. Fulham still have something to play for when they face Birmingham

3. Barnsley wasted their game in hand. 

My hard-on tonight is even more over-inflated than Gary Madine's new wage packet. Believe.

5 hours ago, Dan said:

Good win for Derby. Still think the original postponement was a joke mind.

I think Fulham are going to grab 2nd now.

No chance. They have the mighty Sunderland at home next and are going to get ripped apart...............maybe..............wishful thinking?

What an amazing night! Won the game to guarantee promotion at the first attempt backed by nearly 4,000 fans! The game was pretty poor due to the terrible conditions (not far from being called off) but second half we dominated and should have scored before we did. It was fitting that our captain got the goal to send us up - he has had a remarkable season and is far too good for this level. Amazing feeling at the final whistle - Tony Mowbray has reconnected the fans with the club and has transformed this club from top to bottom. There has been a losing mentality since Allardyce left bar the odd short spell of good form, but this season we have been unstoppable and blown teams away. Really excited to see what the summer brings and hope we keep this momentum going. 

• The topic was unpinned
On 25/04/2018 at 19:00, roversgirl said:

What an amazing night! Won the game to guarantee promotion at the first attempt backed by nearly 4,000 fans! The game was pretty poor due to the terrible conditions (not far from being called off) but second half we dominated and should have scored before we did. It was fitting that our captain got the goal to send us up - he has had a remarkable season and is far too good for this level. Amazing feeling at the final whistle - Tony Mowbray has reconnected the fans with the club and has transformed this club from top to bottom. There has been a losing mentality since Allardyce left bar the odd short spell of good form, but this season we have been unstoppable and blown teams away. Really excited to see what the summer brings and hope we keep this momentum going. 

Don't get too carried away. I'd argue the gulf in class between League One and the Championship is bigger than that between the top two divisions. 

We were hoodwinked into thinking our side was semi-capable by seeing them tank the likes of Gillingham playing awful football, but up against some actual class, we've come up short time and again. 

It's good for Rovers that they have some positivity after years of misery, but I would advise against going into next season being overconfident - I made that mistake this time last year!

7 hours ago, StefBWFC said:

Don't get too carried away. I'd argue the gulf in class between League One and the Championship is bigger than that between the top two divisions. 

We were hoodwinked into thinking our side was semi-capable by seeing them tank the likes of Gillingham playing awful football, but up against some actual class, we've come up short time and again. 

It's good for Rovers that they have some positivity after years of misery, but I would advise against going into next season being overconfident - I made that mistake this time last year!

On the flip side the likes of Sheff Utd and Millwall have shown that momentum and confidence along with a decent defence and goalscorer anything is possible. In my opinion our squad is much stronger than the squad Bolton went up with. It won't be easy and we will need to add to the squad but Mowbray should be given a decent budget and I trust his judgement on signings in terms of their quality and how they fit into the squad personality wise. I'd like to think we wouldn't be signing players of the standard of Henry, Wilbraham, Noone etc as we should have a bigger budget and more ambition than that. Survival initially is the first step to get some stability and not yo-yo like other north west clubs have.

47 minutes ago, roversgirl said:

On the flip side the likes of Sheff Utd and Millwall have shown that momentum and confidence along with a decent defence and goalscorer anything is possible. In my opinion our squad is much stronger than the squad Bolton went up with. It won't be easy and we will need to add to the squad but Mowbray should be given a decent budget and I trust his judgement on signings in terms of their quality and how they fit into the squad personality wise. I'd like to think we wouldn't be signing players of the standard of Henry, Wilbraham, Noone etc as we should have a bigger budget and more ambition than that. Survival initially is the first step to get some stability and not yo-yo like other north west clubs have.

Are you really much better than Bolton were, though? 

The fact Wigan and Blackburn have both come up on the first attempt highlights that there's a gap between Championship and League One. 

1 hour ago, roversgirl said:

While yes, there's a difference in what Blackburn should (in theory) have to spend and what we had, you're entrusting that potential advantage to the chicken farmers and whatever 'expert advisor' they have this week. 

Anyone coming up from league one and expecting anything other than a tough challenge is misguided at best - the likes of Conway and Dack, who the team is currently built around, will be bang average up here. 

Archived