talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sunderland Relegated

Darren Bent of all people scored today that sends Chris Coleman managing against Accrington Stanley next season.

Jack Rodwell will be on £70,000 a week in League One!

I imagine Ellis Short to come under more scrutiny now given he's had an easier ride than most.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping that Sunderland would still have a chance of survival next week to at least attempt to win the game. Oh well.

Not surprising really. Sunderland are an utter shambles at present and need looking at from top to bottom. A season in League One could do the trick, though with the debt they have and average players on big wages, it needs a hell of a shake up.

12 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Darren Bent of all people scored today that sends Chris Coleman managing against Accrington Stanley next season.

Jack Rodwell will be on £70,000 a week in League One!

I imagine Ellis Short to come under more scrutiny now given he's had an easier ride than most.

I think he's got a mandatory reduction built into his contract that will take it down to just over £40k.

Poor guy.

• Subscriber

I am amazed how much Ellis Short has got away with this so far. It's an absolute disgrace what's happened to that club. I genuinely said in the summer I wouldn't rule out another relegation and sure enough it's happened.

4 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Just like us they got out of the Championship at the first time of asking.

That bought me back to a time when our captain left us on a free transfer to join Charlton in what he described as 'the ultimate ticket to getting out The Championship'. They finished bottom that season xD

• Administrator

gotta get out of League One at first time of asking now. Needs to be a change of ownership and possibly management. Get rid of all the deadwood.

Basically do what we did and they're winning the Premier League in 8 years time. 

10 hours ago, Stan said:

gotta get out of League One at first time of asking now. Needs to be a change of ownership and possibly management. Get rid of all the deadwood.

This. Being relegated last season was tough to take but it has given us a chance to rebuild and have players in the squad who actually want to be here and are determined to get the club back to where it belongs. If Sunderland can get rid of the deadwood, give the youngsters a chance and buy/loan some experienced league one players/best talent in league one then there is no reason they can't bounce back first time like us too (hopefully). Also, the support they will take to away games will be fantastic and this has really helped our players this season. At home though it will be every team's big day out so they need to be careful their home form doesn't suffer as every opposition players performance will go up 10% just because they are playing at the stadium of light. 

So it could be a blessing in disguise in the long term IF their finances are stable enough to cope and they can get some stability in the club/start planning now with Coleman in charge.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, roversgirl said:

This. Being relegated last season was tough to take but it has given us a chance to rebuild and have players in the squad who actually want to be here and are determined to get the club back to where it belongs. If Sunderland can get rid of the deadwood, give the youngsters a chance and buy/loan some experienced league one players/best talent in league one then there is no reason they can't bounce back first time like us too (hopefully). Also, the support they will take to away games will be fantastic and this has really helped our players this season. At home though it will be every team's big day out so they need to be careful their home form doesn't suffer as every opposition players performance will go up 10% just because they are playing at the stadium of light. 

So it could be a blessing in disguise in the long term IF their finances are stable enough to cope and they can get some stability in the club/start planning now with Coleman in charge.

yeah we utilised the loan system very well.

We had players like Jack Hobbs, Tom Cleverley, David Stockdale in our League One season. They were still learning the game and first-team experience not only helped them, but helped us too. 

Good riddance, hopefully we never play the cunts again unless it's our kids playing their first team in the Johnstone's Paint Cup or whatever it's called these days.

Sums them up really, some spasticated cunt Mackem whinging on Twitter saying real football fans won't be taking the piss and that relegation is bad for every club. Yet 2 years ago wanking himself daft about us going down. 

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Sunderland could play Newcastle U23's in the Checkatrade Trophy next season 

:rofl:

Aren't they the first club to have had both their first team and U23's in this tournament?

They have huge debts, players on massive wages and their owner can't give the club away. Relegation is far closer to a death sentence to them rather than a chance to rebuild.

The amount they are paying Jack Rodwell is going to be the same as an entire budget for a lot of clubs in that division. It could take them years to recover and until all the high earning mediocre players eventually leave (as they aren't exactly going to be queueing up to leave their contracts behind).

Chris Coleman must be kicking himself for accepting the job. If he had waited a few more months he'd probably have gotten an EPL job and at least been in the Championship next season.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, StefBWFC said:

I might be wrong, but wasn't that Blackburn? 

Not sure how Blackburn could've had their U23 involved. Are there Championship sides with reserve sides in it? I thought it was only Premier League.

33 minutes ago, Dan said:

Not sure how Blackburn could've had their U23 involved. Are there Championship sides with reserve sides in it? I thought it was only Premier League.

Reading were in it this year. It's anyone who is in the reserve Premier league that is eligible.

Blackburn U23's were in it last year.

Sunderland CEO Martin Bain sounds pretty confident of a sale happening this summer.

Given they have a couple of good players coming through (Honeymon, Gooch, Asoro, Waghorn), and they have some performers they should be able to keep (McNair, Jones etc) they should be looking at Blackburn and thinking "if they can do it, why can't we?". Obviously they need some form of investment, but it doesn't need a lot. The biggest task is shaking off this losing mentality.

Archived