talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rafa Benitez Backs Ayoze Perez for Spain

Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez believes Ayoze Perez could play for Spain in the future if he fulfils his potential.

Perez has scored three goals in as many games, including a crucial equaliser against Arsenal earlier this month, to help ease the Magpies to Premier League safety.

The 24-year-old won two caps for the Spanish U21 side earlier in his career and Benitez believes the former Tenerife striker could one day make the step up to the senior side if he continues to improve.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

'one day make the step up'. not for the squad for Russia!

Although Spain have far too many forwards ahead of him in the pecking order. Perhaps a move away from Newcastle might get him more attention.

Aspas, Vazquez, Rodrigo all in much better form and already in the squad. Obviously Diego Costa as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 05:02, Stan said:

'one day make the step up'. not for the squad for Russia!

Although Spain have far too many forwards ahead of him in the pecking order. Perhaps a move away from Newcastle might get him more attention.

Aspas, Vazquez, Rodrigo all in much better form and already in the squad. Obviously Diego Costa as well. 

It blows my mind how bad Aspas was with us... but how good he was to get the move to us and how good he was back at Celta Vigo. It's a bit sad that he never really looked all that great in England (he also didn't get much of a chance with Suarez and a healthy Sturridge) because he looks fucking great at least at Celta Vigo. He's one of those players where the message to other players in similar situations might be "the grass isn't always greener on the other side" - because he wasn't anything special at Sevilla either. But at Celta he's great. And I think they're his boyhood club.

He can't have much time left with being called "potential" 

When he first came on the scene he was tearing people a new arsehole and we were all talking about £20-30m for him. 

I'm completely guessing here but I have always felt that fame, fortune and pressure has got to him.

Apparently in training he is the most talented and skillful player we have. Come match day he's tackled easily and sometimes fumbles through players like he's an Ameobi.

Archived