talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which Of These Major Sports Do You Think Are Rubbish?

football forum

Tick All Sports You Find Shite  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Tick All Sports You Find Shite

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

voted for Baseball, Marathons and Rugby League.

Mainly due to a mix of being bored when watching them or have never found enough time/interest to really get properly in to it. 

However, if you who play the sport or because have a passion for it, then so be it and if can't fault someone for doing something they enjoy or are good at.  

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Kitchen Sales said:

Watch :twothumbsup:

Then I vote for all of them, except basketball, tennis, F1, ice hockey and skiing. I would normally find skiing boring to watch too, but there's something oddly relaxing about it, so it gets my approval xD 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Then I vote for all of them, except basketball, tennis, F1, ice hockey and skiing. I would normally find skiing boring to watch too, but there's something oddly relaxing about it, so it gets my approval xD 

i like the different events you can get in the skiing category, namely ski-jumping and mogul skiing. Still bewilders me how knees don't get jarred or injured when mogul skiing; they glide through them so fast!

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

i like the different events you can get in the skiing category, namely ski-jumping and mogul skiing. Still bewilders me how knees don't get jarred or injured when mogul skiing; they glide through them so fast!

Oh yes, I love ski-jumping. And biathlon. Don't think I've ever watched mogul skiing though!

Having enjoyed a sporty lifestyle in my younger days and through my late 20's I have taken part in a lot of these sports over the years.. As @nudge pointed out, taking part is a whole world away from watching.... So in no particular order.. 

Baseball
Never played Baseball but Rounders as we used to call it was probably the closest thing to that over here.. Loved trying to smack that ball as far as the eye could see before legging it around the bases... Don't really watch it though

Basketball
Just Netball for men... Did try it but never liked it all that much, best thing about Basketball for me was the Harlem Globetrotters, other than that again I don't really watch it... 

Tennis
Played for a bit in my younger days and was better at it than I thought I would be but no John McEnroe that's for sure... except for maybe a bit of the same attitude if things were not going well... Much better to take part than watch any day of the week... 

Cricket
Cricket was a must do Sport when I was at school, we used to have this giant of a man Mr Farrah who used to take Cricket/Rugby and History and he could bowl a ball like it had come out of a cannon... We had no headgear and no gloves, just pads... and when he bowled at you the typical first 3 defensive stances you took were duck, cower, and hold bat up while looking away hoping it would not hit you... Don't mind watching cricket to be honest

F1

Used to enjoy it but not anymore... I will still watch it if I happen upon it but happily nod off to it as well.. Not sure what it would be like to take part in, I should imagine it would be a hell of a rush for the first 2 corners then roll over 6 times and get rushed off to A&E... 

Golf
Tried golf once or twice and was utter shit at it... 16 swings and then finally hitting it to watch it plop about 6 feet in front of me.. No thanks.. don't mind watching highlights of shots and putts etc but I could not sit and watch hours and hours of televised sky even if you paid me... 

Rugby Union/Rugby League
As with Cricket Rugby was a must partake in sport.. One of the few sports that really does push you physically, The amount of crunching tackles and stepped on parts of the body with the occasional fisty cuffs was untold.. Got proper hurt a few times and covered in head to toe bruises but when you are watching from the sidelines you just want to get back involved... Had Mr Farrah to thank for a lot of things during those years, he was a no nonsense get knocked down bloody well pick yourself up type fella, He had no time for whingy cry babies, you were more likely to get a thick ear than any sympathy from him he but he did teach us to  face the fear of pain in his own cruel way... If you get knocked down pick yourself up, If they hit you hard, hit them harder... Like watching Rugby if it's on, It's not full of wimps and the ref no matter how small gets respected... 

Track & Field
I did some Track and Field and was pretty good at that so I was told.. Back in the day though we only did Track, Hurdles, Long jump and Javelin.. After I left I never followed up on it and can't remember why...  Will watch this if I have the time.. 

Swimming
I did and still do love swimming.. Won a couple of inter school competitions doing that along with another kid at our school. When I first started there I couldn't swim, I would get in the pool but used to hug the side all the time until one day he decided to get involved and taught me how to swim properly after about a year I was swimming like Flipper... loved it and will watch this if it's on.. 

Marathon's
God no... Never done one and never will.. It reminds me of all them cross country runs we used to have to do in all that shitty weather in just t shirt and shorts... You would come back caked in all kinds of crap and soaking wet... The only thing I enjoy is trying to work out how far the bloke in Mr Bobby costume is going to go before flaking out on his chosen charity... 

Ice Hockey
Never taken part as I can barley skate on ice as it is... I just end up making an idiot of myself... I only took up ice skating because a girl I fancied used to go to the Richmond Ice Rink and it was the only time we really spent together.. The amount of times I ended up on my arse was enough to put me off that for life... I do enjoy watching it though after seeing the film 'Slapshot' I started to pay it more attention as a sport..

American Football
I have more love for Ronaldo than this sport... a padded up safe girls version of Rugby.

Skiing
Never tried or had the opportunity... See Ice Hockey, I would probably end up going over a cliff or something.... 

Just now, Bluewolf said:
American Football
I have more love for Ronaldo than this sport... a padded up safe girls version of Rugby.

I love it when people who have clearly never played the sport call it 'soft'

F1- Racing is great when you participate in it but not so much for me as a spectator sport

Baseball and Basketball -  I enjoy playing video game of both sports but in actual baseball is so limited compared to Cricket and the main thing about basketball is scoring buckets and thats the easiest part of the game(for professionals) which takes the charm out of the sport for me.

Rugby/American football - I don't see how much skills are required to hold a ball and run and then fall.

1 hour ago, Devon Von Devon said:

F1- Racing is great when you participate in it but not so much for me as a spectator sport

Baseball and Basketball -  I enjoy playing video game of both sports but in actual baseball is so limited compared to Cricket and the main thing about basketball is scoring buckets and thats the easiest part of the game(for professionals) which takes the charm out of the sport for me.

Rugby/American football - I don't see how much skills are required to hold a ball and run and then fall.

I disagree with Rugby as its a fun sport with a lot of dynamic plays and when you watch the top teams, it can be a joy to watch when they take of half the team. The only thing I dislike about it is the lack of surprises as its a very predictable sport. Hence why Japan beating South Africa was such a big deal.

Basketball I've lost interest in since I've left Canada, but I still follow it from a distance. It can be boring sometimes, and it can even feel pointless unless you're only seeing the 4th quarter, so I understand why some people don't like it but I still have it as my third sport.

Agreed on Baseball. Its the sort of sport that I could watch on TV if I'm obligated to do so but not in the actual ground. I was invited a Blue Jays playoff a few years ago in the semi-final I believe, and I declined as I just couldn't deal with 4 hours of that.

American Football is the worst sport for me. Its not about the actual idea of the game because as I mentioned, I enjoy Rugby. Its not a rip off of that either, as a lot of nations have the sport with their own rules. Australia has Aussie Rules, Canada has Canadian rules and of course the NFL is American Rules. Its almost unwatchable for me though. I see it more of a competition of who could sell the most products via commercials, as that's all it is. Its a sport with long moments of sitting around looking at your phone and short bursts of excitement, as its only 12 minutes of them actually playing.

I've never seen Aussie rules, but I hear its the same so I don't really want to experience that. Canadian football is basically the NFL with worse players and slightly different rules. Also dislike it. Only version I like is Rugby Union. Rugby League is fine but its not what I'd watch every week and enjoy.

Never seen F1 so I can't speak for that.

In conclusion, I dislike the NFL and Baseball. I also don't like Tennis or Ice Hockey. With Tennis, I find it great that its a popular individual sport, but I've always preferred Badminton. Hockey on the other hand, just seems like luck to me. Skating isn't really difficult as I can say from experience, but the rink is small, they are constantly moving and I just feel the timing feels too perfect for it to be real. The technical part I do believe in, but everything else just feels weird. The fights are also fake, I'm not having society will accept those sort of fights. Especially in a country like Canada. Land Hockey on the other hand, I have no issue with.

Just now, Stan said:

what's your reason for liking badminton @Blue, but not tennis? Purely on popularity reasons?

It kind of has to do with me being a former Badminton player. It was only at school level, but I enjoyed that moment in time. I gave it a watch in the Olympics and I quite like it, where as I just feel Tennis is slow. I don't like the bounce rule and prefer it to be kept in the air. It's all a preference thing really.

• Subscriber

Rugby is too brutal for me, personally. I appreciate contact sports, but only to a certain degree, and still prefer skill and finesse over brute force...and rugby for me is a bit too much, haha. I feel the same about American football, it just looks more ridiculous with all the padding, tights, and painted faces... and all those commercial breaks, seriously. Although that's what I associate with American sports in general; all those chicken wings, hot dogs, merchandise, national anthem, the wave, and a load of statistics. Stereotypes, I know :P 

• Subscriber

Badminton is cool, and at least as much physically demanding as tennis... I'd probably never watch it though, especially on TV. Only got into it as at one point I was dating someone who played badminton on a semi-pro basis, so I'd go watch him play quite regularly.

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Blue said:

It kind of has to do with me being a former Badminton player. It was only at school level, but I enjoyed that moment in time. I gave it a watch in the Olympics and I quite like it, where as I just feel Tennis is slow. I don't like the bounce rule and prefer it to be kept in the air. It's all a preference thing really.

13 minutes ago, nudge said:

Badminton is cool, and at least as much physically demanding as tennis... I'd probably never watch it though, especially on TV. Only got into it as at one point I was dating someone who played badminton on a semi-pro basis, so I'd go watch him play quite regularly.

Image result for oh really gif

Archived