talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tuesday 24th April - Liverpool 5-2 Roma (SF 1st Leg)

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Bets off! 

Not one person who came on here had the bollocks to put their money where there mouth is. All disappeared. 

Opinions are are all well and good, not being confident in them though is funny xD

@Asura did and you literally quoted him saying you loved how he was the only one to put his money where his mouth is.

Go home mate, you're drunk xD. 

6 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Bets off! 

Not one person who came on here had the bollocks to put their money where there mouth is. All disappeared. 

Opinions are are all well and good, not being confident in them though is funny xD

Shame we couldnt agree on a fee. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Oh no. What a shame eh. 

You seem to be a right knobhead lately Stan. Maybe it’s because you’re top of the Mods or whatever but you seem to have changed?

You were spot on before but now it’s as if you think you are god? 

Go back to how you used to be on the old forum and the beginning of this... much better! 

You don’t own everyone mate and I’m saying this in a nice way. 

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Seems that way but maybe he’s just annoyed with me :what:

3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

You're just noticing it that? Been saying it for a few months. Stan is a great guy but has been on a power trip lately

Power gone to his head. :(

1 minute ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

MadLad, are you drunk an all? Cause you're offering out bets like some old cunt in the pub wanting a fight.

Not everybody has 500 quid to gamble on a stupid bet. 

That’s fine mate, I’m not forcing anyone. 

21 minutes ago, Storts said:

Firstly - what an absolutely brilliant result for Liverpool. To win 5-2 in a European Cup semi final takes some doing. It was breathtaking display for a large proportion of the game and despite the two goals I think they should be over the moon. 

Secondly whilst I think it's a pretty meaningless debate - I'm going to indulge it. Liverpool have almost the perfect set-up for cup competitions. They're exhilarating, they're in your face - they play with such pace and tenacity and they really know what their strengths are. Salah and Mane are just incredible outlets every time. You can attempt to press them, but when get too high up the pitch they are able to play balls in behind all night long to let their two wide forwards flip the pitch. Firmino is also perfect for this system because he does everything you want from a centre forward, plus has the ability to go wide and drop deep depending on what the situation requires.

You look at the way Liverpool exploited a naive Roma backline all evening to just see evidence of their ability to put you under pressure at will. They've now found two full backs - so important in the modern game - who then have the ability to play high up the pitch when they lose the ball, which allows them to win the ball back by crowding the space in the final third, or by forcing the opposition into hitting it long (Where most teams don't have a Salah or Mane to rely on).

Their ability to to play like this in competitions is really hard to come to terms with - they seem to often get ahead early and that just plays into their hands. In both games against Manchester City they had the advantage because early goals meant there was far more space in behind for them to exploit as they have again tonight.  Klopp almost has them bypassing the midfield for a large part in attack - and when it's Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum (to a lesser extent) you can see why, but that's not to say those three don't have a really important job in harrowing off the ball.

Where this then comes unstuck I think in league football is twofold. Firstly the obvious example of teams being more wise to how to neutralise this. Despite some failing quite significantly and it not being as easy as it can be made out - the blueprint I think is out on how to beat Liverpool and frustrate them. West Brom, regardless of who is managing them, seem to have the formula to stop Liverpool's game. 

Secondly and more importantly - this style of play is not conducive to a gruelling league campaign. It requires maximum effort and inevitably you are going to see levels drop throughout a season. Liverpool still do not really have in their DNA the ability to grind out wins - to switch up their style of play and just control tempo. For me it's very one paced, it's electric, and so often effective, but when they need to do what Chelsea or Manchester United's title winning sides in the past have done -  I just don't think they can. Despite improved individual defensive performances, the system still leaves them vulnerable at the back and as Roma have shown the last ten minutes tonight, you can get them pretty flustered.

Overall however, this is probably my favourite Liverpool team to watch play as a neutral in the Premier League. Even more so than the Suarez 2nd place side. They play that perfect cup football that is exciting on the eye, they get the ball forward at every opportunity and have so much pace. When you have a star like Salah with the ability to produce magic it just adds to it. I'm with madlad I fully expect them to go all the way - I think unlike Barcelona they will have too much on the counter in Rome.

I agree with this. I think some deficiencies in our midfield when we've got the ball go a long way to why we struggle to change it up and kill a match off. Which isn't to say I don't like our midfielders - I do, but some of the players should be more squad depth than constantly in the side.

Having said that, we've had some really massive performances from Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, and Oxlade-Chamberlain over the course of the season. So while I want a bit of quality added to that area of the pitch... I'm actually pretty happy with what we've got.

I think Klopp's building one hell of a Liverpool side. Our attack this season is just mental and for as shit as our defense was last season, we've still improved at the back despite some of the odd moments where we're back to defending like idiots again once bringing VvD in. So it'll be interesting to see if he can actually successfully build a side that plays the way he likes that can win the league over the course over a season. I think we've improved a lot over the course of the season though and I'm looking forward to see what comes next.

Switching off when you're in command and with a substantial score line isn't at all unheard off. But it coulee been really really costly and had that occurred against a Real Madrid, they'd (Real) would've really gone to town on you with that all of a sudden boost of unexpected confidence.

Anyway... Better for something like that to occur in a match that you're winning 5-0 and before you meet those that can really do you some damage.

Providing Liverpool can maintain this absolutely lambasting form and belief, they're my favourites to win this and it would be so romantic for them to do it too.

Incredible display of attacking football  just the fact that Mane, Firmino and Salah just understand each other. The have pace and Salah is having a wonder season. Big result in the first leg i went off at 5-0, they gave Roma a life line with those two goals but i don't see Liverpool failing to score again in Rome. I just wanted to add that even tough he got a goal that Mane is very wasteful, could have got a brace / Hattrick easy.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

You seem to be a right knobhead lately Stan. Maybe it’s because you’re top of the Mods or whatever but you seem to have changed?

You were spot on before but now it’s as if you think you are god? 

Go back to how you used to be on the old forum and the beginning of this... much better! 

You don’t own everyone mate and I’m saying this in a nice way. 

7 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

You're just noticing it that? Been saying it for a few months. Stan is a great guy but has been on a power trip lately

7 hours ago, VanPaddy said:

Power gone to his head. :(

7 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I wouldn’t say power is being Admin of a group of twats is anything special but yeah, maybe xD

Lol wtf 

Got any actual evidence of this xD xD

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43883201

I hope he pulls through.

My cousin is going over to Rome next week. I’ve just rang him and basically told him not to bother but he doesn’t give a fuck and is going anyway. I don’t mind admitting that I’m shitting myself for his safety. 

Our fans are going to be proper under attack and fuck all will be done to protect us. 

• The title was changed to Tuesday 24th April - Liverpool 5-2 Roma (SF 1st Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived