talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Kane

• Subscriber

I would love it if he pulled out the World Cup. He won't of course, because he's extremely driven and loyal, but he should.

Why do we in this country try to tear down our stars? Why do our media constantly pick at them, not just Kane but Sterling in this case too?

It's ridiculous that considering the scumbags we have had representing England over the years and playing Premier League football, that Harry's crime of claiming a goal is getting such coverage.

The official FA account, the Chair of the PFA making jokes at his expense. This is the man many people expect to be our talisman in the summer, to lead the country most likely - yet he's being set up to fail. Just as our media, and rival fans have done in the past.

I remember when United had their golden generation of English youngsters, there were calls from their fans to pull players out of the squads for the same reasons.

It's not just football but a wider thing in English society - but in terms of our best players - they get criticised at every opportunity - unlike in other countries where they are regarded as heroes.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He put the FA in a pretty uncomfortable position by making them either publicly say "nah, England's star player didn't touch that goal and swore on his daughters life like an idiot for it" right before the world cup... or to put Kane in the position to get absolutely slated by the public after awarding him a goal that he didn't really score based on his ridiculous assertion.

I think it's mental that Kane did not possibly think that the internet, the place where memes are made at celebrities expenses, did not consider that he would be ripped to piss for the "I touched it, I swear on my daughters life" shite. He's a fucking football player for fucks sake, have you seen the loads of stupid abuse they get on their social media accounts? I just don't understand how he couldn't expect this.

If memes destroy Harry Kane, then he's nowhere near a top player despite having all the attributes to be a top player... because that mentality isn't going to get you through tough matches against the very best when the chips are really down. That's the kind of mentality that buckles under pressure.

Doesn't Messi get an unreasonable amount of shit from Argentina fans, despite literally having to take that national side on his back and carry them? Perhaps Kane should look at him, not do stupid things like try to take away goals from his teammates for personal glory that, ultimately, doesn't mean a whole lot at the end of the season compared to his team's achievements which are much more important, keep his head down and shut people up by continuing the form he's shown all season.

Also if Kane thinks he has it bad, I would like him to take a look at the treatment of Beckham after '98. I hate Beckham and even I think the treatment he received for years after that world cup was beyond the fucking pale. And for Kane to shut people up all he has to do is not bitch about it and keep his form up and people will eventually forget he said stupid things.

I'll tell you what though - if Pocchetino makes more media comments about how Kane is hurt or if Spurs fans say things like this original post... I guarantee you fans of other clubs will see this, think this is hilarious, and try to kill Kane with memes. And the more of a reaction it gets, the more it'll keep happening.

5 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Who cares, he never won anything this season and won't even win the Golden boot. Its not like he was good in the last International tournament England were in. 

Yeah but if that's the standard, would we have anyone to call up?

• Subscriber

Agree with both Storts and Gonzo. I personally thought the tweet about him from the FA, while unexpected, really shouldn't be anything that has any effect on what happens on the pitch and if it does, then that's a flaw in Kane's game for me I'm afraid.

The media witch-hunt of Sterling is an embarrassment to the point I think that the majority of it just cannot possibly be serious.

We've done it for years though. Think Wayne Rooney as well and the amount of shit he got.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Who cares, he never won anything this season and won't even win the Golden boot. Its not like he was good in the last International tournament England were in. 

He was very poor but doesn't help when you've got a manager who is out of his depth there.

• Subscriber
Just now, The Palace Fan said:

Blasphemy.

I've said many a time I've picked up respect for him this season, held my hands up and said fair play, he's still got it at club level.

But in that tournament he was an embarrassment from start to finish.

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He put the FA in a pretty uncomfortable position by making them either publicly say "nah, England's star player didn't touch that goal and swore on his daughters life like an idiot for it" right before the world cup... or to put Kane in the position to get absolutely slated by the public after awarding him a goal that he didn't really score based on his ridiculous assertion.

I think it's mental that Kane did not possibly think that the internet, the place where memes are made at celebrities expenses, did not consider that he would be ripped to piss for the "I touched it, I swear on my daughters life" shite. He's a fucking football player for fucks sake, have you seen the loads of stupid abuse they get on their social media accounts? I just don't understand how he couldn't expect this.

If memes destroy Harry Kane, then he's nowhere near a top player despite having all the attributes to be a top player... because that mentality isn't going to get you through tough matches against the very best when the chips are really down. That's the kind of mentality that buckles under pressure.

Doesn't Messi get an unreasonable amount of shit from Argentina fans, despite literally having to take that national side on his back and carry them? Perhaps Kane should look at him, not do stupid things like try to take away goals from his teammates for personal glory that, ultimately, doesn't mean a whole lot at the end of the season compared to his team's achievements which are much more important, keep his head down and shut people up by continuing the form he's shown all season.

Also if Kane thinks he has it bad, I would like him to take a look at the treatment of Beckham after '98. I hate Beckham and even I think the treatment he received for years after that world cup was beyond the fucking pale. And for Kane to shut people up all he has to do is not bitch about it and keep his form up and people will eventually forget he said stupid things.

I'll tell you what though - if Pocchetino makes more media comments about how Kane is hurt or if Spurs fans say things like this original post... I guarantee you fans of other clubs will see this, think this is hilarious, and try to kill Kane with memes. And the more of a reaction it gets, the more it'll keep happening.

On phone or would expand more fully but

That last paragraph is exactly the problem don’t you see that. In this country we look to belittle and mock our star players, there is no sense of national pride or support for our best. Consistently down the years it’s been the case and this is just the latest example. We will never win anything whilst this is the case. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Spurs fans had no issue taking the mick out of Terry and his mum 

Did the FA account tweet about this? Or the Chairman of the PFA make jokes about it? Just seems ridiculous that our governing body and the group supposed to support professionals would go down that path considering the World Cup in a few months.

Fans are a separate issue, I’m not excluding us at all, we are just as much a part of it as anyone - just making the wider point about this country and it’s lack of pride in our stars and our need to try and bring them down at every opportunity. I really don’t think this is common anywhere else

14 minutes ago, Storts said:

On phone or would expand more fully but

That last paragraph is exactly the problem don’t you see that. In this country we look to belittle and mock our star players, there is no sense of national pride or support for our best. Consistently down the years it’s been the case and this is just the latest example. We will never win anything whilst this is the case. 

It's not just football players that happens to. And it's not just England. Social media is full of that toxic attitude everywhere.

I think you can have an argument made that the media has played a huge role in creating a toxic attitude regarding the England national team and how we treat the players. But that's nothing new, that's been something that's existed since before I was born. Social media just amplifies it.

Harry Kane is 24 years old and a football player. I think he should have been aware of England's general attitude and that no "golden boy" is built up by the media without the media also being ready to tear them down. Frank Lampard was called a tubby sack of shite by everyone despite being possibly the most consistent England performer in the last decade, Steven Gerrard was an incredible England talent that spent his last year playing in England being mocked for a slip that ended his chances of having his dream come true at every away ground he went to in the country, John Terry was built up to be a hero and is now utterly reviled by everyone who's not a Chelsea fan. Beckham got death threats for fucking years.

I'm not saying the attitude is right, or wrong. But he's a celebrity in a culture where if you do something that gets you mocked, you'll be mocked relentlessly on social media. Kane claimed a dubious goal and then, bizarrely, swore on his daughters life. And the FA were put in an uncomfortable position because they wanted their star to be happy but I think it was more than likely that the blowback received would be what it ended up being.

And I'm sure those in the FA knew that, but it was a rough spot to be in. I am more surprised that Kane, and apparently Spurs fans, couldn't anticipate the reaction from the general public. Kane being touchy about the jokes being made at his expense from this only make him look more petty. And as you should know from your time on here, if fishing gets you nibbles you're going to keep casting your line out. Probably the best way for Kane to make this blow over is to show a sense of humour about it. Then it shows he's also got #bantz instead of coming across as a pissy little bitch.

Having said that, I don't think that really excuses the FA from joining in on the mememing.

Ultimately, the FA, Kane, and Spurs should all probably look to hire better PR people.

I happen to think the stick Harry is getting is very good for Spurs.

It's taking the light off the burning question of why Spurs have gone another season without winning anything after being touted as being the team of the Premier League future just two seasons ago?

Best not to take this too much to heart, I am sure Harry Sterling and anyone else who feels the heat of our know nothing football media, are big enough to not let it effect them.

Agree with the sentiment but if Kane can't take a bit of piss taking then he shouldn't claim goals that barely touch him. Kane has been treated like a poster boy for English football, can't really compare him to someone like Sterling who is still just 23 and yet has been constantly mugged off by the media because he's not been a child prodigy.

He should never have been awarded the goal, the slightest of touches in that situation is just a deflection at best and clearly didn't help beat the keeper. No conclusive proof he touched it anyway.

I laughed it was funny and i am all up for bantz. Still have to agree that the official account of the FA shouldn't take the piss. Agreed on other fans having a laugh, hell even players from other clubs but the FA tweet was over the line.

Journalists in the press now coming out saying Kane is receiving too much abuse and is being "bullied". xD

Making jokes about him desperately appealing to take a goal away from a team mate so he can have an offside goal is hardly abuse. Sure he may feel stupid because of it (which he should) but this isn't personal abuse. I've seen fans say worse about their own players when they don't play well which is seen as normal.

The football press just don't like it when it's anything against their team. Next they'll be saying people shouldn't make fun of Pochettino having an over inflated opinion of himself even though he's never won anything.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Journalists in the press now coming out saying Kane is receiving too much abuse and is being "bullied". xD

Making jokes about him desperately appealing to take a goal away from a team mate so he can have an offside goal is hardly abuse. Sure he may feel stupid because of it (which he should) but this isn't personal abuse. I've seen fans say worse about their own players when they don't play well which is seen as normal.

The football press just don't like it when it's anything against their team. Next they'll be saying people shouldn't make fun of Pochettino having an over inflated opinion of himself even though he's never won anything.

pot kettle black when it comes to journalists saying that. 

• Subscriber
33 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

More importantly, what's happened to his form? He's been largely anonymous since he came back from injury.

He's not really fit to be honest - rushed back and is nowhere near sharp enough. 

3 hours ago, Stan said:

pot kettle black when it comes to journalists saying that. 

Absolutely, they're the biggest culprits for any negative shite like this being so prevalent. English football culture is so quick to tear down the people they've built up precisely because the media builds these people up for the joy of being able to drag them down when the time is right. And it's more papers sold/clicks for their articles, so it's unlikely to stop.

And now they're making these stories saying he's being bullied by people mocking him for claiming that goal he didn't score, I think knowing that now social media has been mocking him saying he's hurt by the negative reaction to claiming the goal... thus inviting more criticism of him on social media. Because it's a story precisely on what's now a hot topic on football twitter feeds.

I'm sure it's not pleasant for Kane. But the best way for him to handle this for now is to not fucking talk about it, or the goal he appealed for, anytime soon. Just let it blow over and focus on getting fully fit and back in form. And if he doesn't know this yet... I've got some bad news for him... but... if he doesn't like this criticism, he really needs to avoid having a totally shit World Cup if he doesn't want more criticism piled on top of him in the future.

We're going into a World Cup, and at this point Harry Kane is one of the few players that England have that we can count on to turn a match on it's head. He's probably the most important player to how we play and probably the main star of the England squad. A poor tournament campaign inevitably means that England's stars get loaded with shitloads of criticism up until people forget about it. And he should know that, because he's 24 and he's a football player - he should know what comes with representing England at this stage in his career, and when you're one of the stars of the bitter disappointment that is the England national team. It's a lot of unreasonable pressure and generally being ridiculed pretty unfairly if you've got the unrealistic expectations of a nation thrust upon you.

If he's not mentally prepared for what's likely to come, I feel pretty bad for him because he's going to have a rough time. Granted, I would love it if somehow Gareth Southgate defies all expectations and England have a great tournament, seeing England win the World Cup would be very cool, especially as I wouldn't ever have expected at all - but I absolutely have my doubts about that happening. I think Kane should know what's likely to rear it's ugly head once England are knocked out of the tournament... but I also thought he should have known he would have had the piss taken out of him in claiming that goal.

But the same way to get over the piss taking he's going through now will be the same way he'll have to get through any post-World Cup abuse... just don't listen to them and make everyone forget about the incident by continuing the shit hot form you've shown this season. Then this is just a minor incident in the history of his career... otherwise if he lets this get to his head too much, he'll be known as the lad who could've been great but then he was killed by memes.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

More importantly, what's happened to his form? He's been largely anonymous since he came back from injury.

All points to them rushing him back to me.

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino says the Football Association tweet that mocked striker Harry Kane was "embarrassing".

The FA Cup's official Twitter account posted a meme of Manchester United defender Chris Smalling saying Kane's name accompanied with text asking who had been in his pocket following United's semi-final win over Spurs last weekend.

The tweet was deleted and the FA apologised to both clubs, but Pochettino was not happy.

Archived