talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Kane

It has to be the player that garners the most respect from the lads, a player that can be looked towards. If that bloke is Kane, then so be it.  Hendo has to be the only other player.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought the Captain should be anyone who inspires their fellow team mates and can get the maximum out of them, whether that be through barking instructions, physicality on the pitch or good people skills. Simple. 

In the past we've usually been spoilt for choice with two or three leaders in the team. Mainly of the shouty shouty brute, physical type which is 'Typical English'. The nuts and bolts of it is we don't have anyone really like that now.

But it doesn't have to be like that. Quieter, understated players can still be more than capable of leading from the front by how they play on the pitch and their personalities/winning attitudes. And we do have a World Class striker who players will look up to as inspiration.

If I'm completely honest, I wouldn't say Kane is the most ideal choice to be captain but to be perfectly frank, I cannot name one better alternative to Harry Kane.

Which says a lot about how many candidates we have in our team.

I don't see the problem with him being the Captain. You want your star players feeling confident as fuck when they go into a tournament like this. Kane is England's best player, I don't think it's even questionable. Plenty of countries have their captains as just the team's star - I think it's good for their confidence.

If England are going to progress through the group stages, odds are it's going to be Kane carrying us through. Might as well have him feeling like he's the hottest shit in England while we head into the tournament. Kane being in shit hot form is the best hope we've got.

6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I've always thought the Captain should be anyone who inspires their fellow team mates and can get the maximum out of them, whether that be through barking instructions, physicality on the pitch or good people skills. Simple. 

In the past we've usually been spoilt for choice with two or three leaders in the team. Mainly of the shouty shouty brute, physical type which is 'Typical English'. The nuts and bolts of it is we don't have anyone really like that now.

But it doesn't have to be like that. Quieter, understated players can still be more than capable of leading from the front by how they play on the pitch and their personalities/winning attitudes. And we do have a World Class striker who players will look up to as inspiration.

If I'm completely honest, I wouldn't say Kane is the most ideal choice to be captain but to be perfectly frank, I cannot name one better alternative to Harry Kane.

Which says a lot about how many candidates we have in our team.

I think the role of a captain has become less significant over the years as teams generally have multiple players on an even keel. Not many of the captains at domestic level at the top are people that had the qualities of a captain a decade or two ago.

Just now, The Palace Fan said:

I think the role of a captain has become less significant over the years as teams generally have multiple players on an even keel. Not many of the captains at domestic level at the top are people that had the qualities of a captain a decade or two ago.

I think captains are more important in club football than international football, personally. But generally agree that over the years who the captain is generally has taken on a less significant role. When Henderson or Milner aren't playing for us, Klopp literally doesn't give a fuck who's captain. It's clearly something he views as important, because he's got them as the 2 set out "leaders" of the squad - but it's also something he's not too fussed about if he can't play his "captains;" and I know he's not the only one who's generally ambivalent for the most part about who the captain is.

Ideally I think managers want a leader at all levels of the pitch - a starting keeper's supposed to have leadership qualities and good keepers command their area and organise defenses; all top sides have at least one leader at the back; all top sides have at least one midfield general; it's always ideal to have a player that can inspire everyone around him in attack.

I think to an extent this England side has that. And honestly, with the lack of creativity in midfield... maybe it's better to just have a few leaders and have a lot of people who are better at just following instructions. Less egos and more people just sticking to a defensive plan, because if we get through the group stages and into the knockouts we'll rely on being defensive for the most part and putting all of our eggs in the basket of Kane & Sterling being at their brilliant best.

41 minutes ago, Danny said:

I know, I was just elaborating on your point because Sterling in particular gets it more than anyone else...

Black players often get the 'greedy' 'lazy' tag by the mainstream media. It's racism.

Still don't think Sterling is much good though.

Fucking hilarious topic. How did I miss this before. Why are you so sensitive when it comes to Kane, Storts?

Kane can't speak, it's funny, so people take the piss. Rooney is bald, so people take the piss. Lampard looked fatter than every other football so people took the piss.

As for the captaincy, it's a weird choice for me. Kane doesn't even captain his club yet Henderson captains Liverpool and is about to captain them in a CL final. It doesn't really matter though, it's more of a marketing thing and Kane is more of a poster boy than Henderson. I think we make a bigger fuss over captaincy than all other nations.

3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Henderson isn't a guaranteed starter for England, is he?

It was him and Dier consistently until qualification was nailed down. I'd assume he'd be starting in the group stages.

Is Kane the vice captain at Spurs? I think he is (but I'm not sure) - if so the decision makes a bit more sense. He's also going to be with the England camp the whole time, whereas Hendo's got the CL final to worry about so he's not with the rest of the side right now.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, ellanvannin54 said:

He will only get the Golden Boot because of penalties, not open play- set pieces.

does it matter?

Goals are goals.

Did Harry Kane shag your sister/mother/both or what?

Archived