talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which of these minor sports do you think are fantastic ?

football forum

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Waterpolo - not because I find it THAT great to watch (although it's surely not the worst out there either), but because it's so unbelievably demanding.
Snooker - enjoy watching it occasionally.

Others:
Motocross - interesting to watch, and riding an off-road bike is also extremely fun.
Rally/rallycross - not sure if it qualifies as a minor sport, as it surely has plenty of following and coverage, but it's great.
Table tennis - fun to play, and also fun to watch highly skilled players, some of those moves and reaction times are simply amazing!

Squash is arguably my favourite sport. I must get back into playing. Insanely skilful  and a great work out.

Some of these sports are major compared to American Football if you go by countries playing...

Table Tennis, Futsal, and Handball are also magnificent. 

5 hours ago, Toinho said:

Squash is arguably my favourite sport. I must get back into playing. Insanely skilful  and a great work out.

Some of these sports are major compared to American Football if you go by countries playing...

Table Tennis, Futsal, and Handball are also magnificent. 

Yeah but the standard for a sports popularity is seen by its marketing and PR

6 hours ago, Berserker said:

I don't think i'd watch most of them, but i like playing bowling and dodgeball and i believe i'd also like handball, squash and baseball/softball

What's the state of Hockey in Argentina, its always had roots in the country and you won your first gold medal in Rio last time. Is it a game of specific area/gender/group ?

24 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Yeah but the standard for a sports popularity is seen by its marketing and PR

Hard to agree with that. Field hockey is played in 100 countries lol 

I know it has fuck all media or marketing pull or power (no idea why) but it's evidently an insanely popular sport. 

24 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I know it has fuck all media or marketing pull or power (no idea why) but it's evidently an insanely popular sport. 

Then why do people have this image that Pakistan/India are only good at Cricket despite Cricket being played by lesser nations then hockey or sqaush ?

Participation ratio of a sport is overshadowed by its Marketing. Do you know who Jamie Dwyer is ? How many people know about him in Australia ?

11 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Then why do people have this image that Pakistan/India are only good at Cricket despite Cricket being played by lesser nations then hockey or sqaush ?

Participation ratio of a sport is overshadowed by its Marketing. Do you know who Jamie Dwyer is ? How many people know about him in Australia ?

I know who he is, and sadly not enough of my fellow Australians would. I do agree with you in terms of media and whatnot. Popularity to me though means numbers playing/watching. It is such a shame that the media only pushes certain sports, but that's where the money is. 

12 hours ago, Devon Von Devon said:

What's the state of Hockey in Argentina, its always had roots in the country and you won your first gold medal in Rio last time. Is it a game of specific area//group ?

Bitches love playing hockey, haven't meet any man who does. But we're certainly among the best of the world in both genders.

• Subscriber

I actually don't mind watching any of those sports and we get some decent coverage over here and even if you don't streams are available through 'other' channels.

I've recently also gotten quite fond of watching Archery as a sport because it takes a lot of skill and I have tried it myself and its actually very very good.

6 hours ago, Lucas said:

Darts. Brilliant entertainment, especially with how big it's grown now and when there is a big tournament on. The atmosphere can be electric.

Right, now having never been... is it not just a big piss up in fancy dress at £6 a pint? I enjoy darts on the TV but I just couldn't see myself spending an evening with lairy bellends from Huddersfield shouting OH MICHAEL VAN GERWEN on repeat...?

My vote is snooker. Couldn't explain why I love it so much, I have been into it ever since I can remember. For me, it's the only sport I enjoy watching / playing as much as football. I went to Sheffield last week, saw Ali Carter rattle Wanker Wonnie in the flesh. Like a wide-eyed kid, I enjoyed everything - from the mind-bending play, to the hushed tones of John Virgo in the earpiece, to the puzzlingly tense atmosphere of 1000 people watching blokes push balls around with a stick, to the leather pants of the fitty selling programmes. 

Stef <3 Snooker

On 4/24/2018 at 02:14, Toinho said:

Just because it is played widely doesn't mean it has the same amount of participation as say, baseball (only a couple of countries) or cricket (technically the most popular sport in the world). 

21 minutes ago, Spike said:

Just because it is played widely doesn't mean it has the same amount of participation as say, baseball (only a couple of countries) or cricket (technically the most popular sport in the world). 

Never said it would have the same amount of participation, considering your example of Baseball is insanely popular in basically 2 countries only, two very highly populated countries. I'd consider a sport played more widely to be considered bigger? As opposed to NFL, Baseball which are very well ingrained in American culture. Anyway, I don't care. I just see a lot more of Hockey these days. I don't particularly care for it haha

Squash is perfect. The end. :ph34r:

Archived