talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Which of these minor sports do you think are fantastic ?

football forum

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Never said it would have the same amount of participation, considering your example of Baseball is insanely popular in basically 2 countries only, two very highly populated countries. I'd consider a sport played more widely to be considered bigger? As opposed to NFL, Baseball which are very well ingrained in American culture. Anyway, I don't care. I just see a lot more of Hockey these days. I don't particularly care for it haha

Squash is perfect. The end. :ph34r:

Baseball is huge in the north countries of South-America, Latin-Caribbean and Japan...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Spike said:

Baseball is huge in the north countries of South-America, Latin-Caribbean and Japan...

Yes by two I meant USA and Japan. Did not know that about South America. I would still say Field Hockey is edging Baseball in terms of participation. Would love some reliable stats.

Already mentioned it, but I love Badminton. Playing it is tons of fun and watching it you get to see some insane rallies. Shame the best player in the world (the Malaysian, forgot his name) is a drug cheat.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Its quite getting more attention here also, we made it to the world classics qualifiers this time

2 hours ago, Toinho said:

Yes by two I meant USA and Japan. Did not know that about South America. I would still say Field Hockey is edging Baseball in terms of participation. Would love some reliable stats.

https://sporteology.com/top-10-popular-sports-world/

The huge issue with this article is that it combines both field and ice hockey. It also neglects to mention that baseball is popular in Canada, and in countries like, Venezuela and Panama. Baseball is the sport in Cuba and Puerto Rico, strangely enough for the former.

Some sports are a lot more popular to play than to watch as well, which changes metrics.

17 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Its quite getting more attention here also, we made it to the world classics qualifiers this time

But why though? Why would it be growing in a cricketing country?

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

But why though? Why would it be growing in a cricketing country?

Its not growing as universal sport like Cricket only few type of people are into it. We have been doing good at Asain level for quite a while so it should get attention.

Your last statement is what i was saying to Toinho, Why do think we are a Cricketing nation only? Hockey was way more popular in Sub-continent then Cricket uptil the 80s it was the advent of ODI Cricket that made the sport more popular here.

Because Cricket gets more media attention then Hockey even though Hockey is played by more countries.

4 hours ago, Toinho said:

Spike is right. Venezuela is huge on baseball (the only country in South America that doesn't have football as most popular sport). Its also kind of big in Northern Colombia around the Atlantic coast, so Barranquilla and Cartagena. Meanwhile Central America and the Carribean are huge on it. Panama, Dominican Republic and El Salvador in particular. 

5 hours ago, Blue said:

Spike is right. Venezuela is huge on baseball (the only country in South America that doesn't have football as most popular sport). Its also kind of big in Northern Colombia around the Atlantic coast, so Barranquilla and Cartagena. Meanwhile Central America and the Carribean are huge on it. Panama, Dominican Republic and El Salvador in particular. 

Hockey is still more popular around the world like all articles suggest. 

• 2 months later...
On 02/05/2018 at 15:32, Blue said:

Already mentioned it, but I love Badminton. Playing it is tons of fun and watching it you get to see some insane rallies. Shame the best player in the world (the Malaysian, forgot his name) is a drug cheat.

I wanted to play badminton but got a bit of a confedence issue

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber
On 23/04/2018 at 18:26, Azeem said:

Inspired by @Kitchen Sales other thread, which of these lesser covered sports do you find great to watch/play?

1-Futsal

2-Squash

3-Surfing

4-Wrestling (The one in the Olympics)

5-Field Hockey

6-Gymnastics

7-Waterpolo

8-Snooker

9-Handball

10-Bowling

11-Softball

12-Others

9 -    Handball

5 -    Field Hockey

12 - Australian Rules Football (other)

I played Handball in Germany in my army days and loved it, never played field hockey but have watched it on tv and looks quite good, Australian Rules Football I have played where I grew up in Australia.

Archived