talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa Libertadores 2017

football forum

11 hours ago, Dalmore said:

^ that would be a great final. Argentina VS Brazil B|

not to underestimate the rest of the Argentinian/Brazilian teams though. San Lorenzo and Santos could easily make it to the final as well.

San Lorenzo's only chance is if Belluschi stays fit or keeps away from suspension. They do have a good team but are carried by him at times. 

Its a shame this year its been more Brazil/Argentina centric. Last year it was anyones pick and there are usually 4 semi-finalists all from different nations. Its been a good Copa nevertheless though, but last years was the best tournament I've had the pleasure to watch.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

San Lorenzo's only chance is if Belluschi stays fit or keeps away from suspension. They do have a good team but are carried by him at times. 

Its a shame this year its been more Brazil/Argentina centric. Last year it was anyones pick and there are usually 4 semi-finalists all from different nations. Its been a good Copa nevertheless though, but last years was the best tournament I've had the pleasure to watch.

Last year we would have won it too if it wasn't because the ref disallowed us a valid goal against Independiente del Valle, had we won that match like we should i'm sure we would have won it.

3 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Last year we would have won it too if it wasn't because the ref disallowed us a valid goal against Independiente del Valle, had we won that match like we should i'm sure we would have won it.

Not sure about that. If you had beaten Independiente, you probably would have made the final yes. Pumas weren't a special team and Boca had serious defensive issues, but Atletico Nacional were always going to win last year. They were on another level compared to everyone else.

I still to this day don't understand how you didn't win that tie though. Azcona played well but you got incredibly unlucky in some situations. Should have been 2 or 3 goals to 0. Not 1-0

Just now, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Not sure about that. If you had beaten Independiente, you probably would have made the final yes. Pumas weren't a special team and Boca had serious defensive issues, but Atletico Nacional were always going to win last year. They were on another level compared to everyone else.

I still to this day don't understand how you didn't win that tie though. Azcona played well but you got incredibly unlucky in some situations. Should have been 2 or 3 goals to 0. Not 1-0

Nah i'm sure we would have won, we always shit over Colombian teams, like we did to Cali and to Nacional themselves in the Sudamericana. We were really unlucky yeah, that disallowed goal made the difference.

Just now, Berserker said:

Nah i'm sure we would have won, we always shit over Colombian teams, like we did to Cali and to Nacional themselves in the Sudamericana. We were really unlucky yeah, that disallowed goal made the difference.

Nacional weren't as good in 2014, and in my opinion that River team that won the Sudamericana was better than the one that won the Libertadores in 2015, but I'll give it a fair enough. I still think Nacional would have won, although if there is one thing Argentinian clubs excel at, its winning finals. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

The second legs of the Round of 16 are underway and take part throughout the week.

Lanus (Argentina) beat The Strongest (Bolivia) 1-0 with a winning goal from Jose Gustavo Sand to put them through 2-1 on aggregate.

River Plate (Argentina) and Guarani (Paraguay) are currently drawing 0-0 but River have a 2-0 aggregate lead.

• Subscriber

River Plate and Gremio advanced last night. Kicking off in a few minutes in their second legs are:

Atletico MG (Brazil) v Jorge Wilstermann (Bolivia) AGG 0-1

Palmeiras (Brazil) v Barcelona SC (Ecuador) AGG 0-1

For the first time in years the Libertadores looks like it will be dominated by Brazil and Argentina. I hope Barcelona and Wilstermann will go to the semi's so the trend of 4 different nations in the semi's will continue. 

I stand by with my prediction of a Gremio vs River Plate final.

• 1 month later...

Entertaining game between Santos and Barcelona. Although the Ecuadorians have always been a good watch when I've seen them, so I suppose its no real surprise to me.

Santos have impressed me here. Only seen them twice prior to this and that was in both games vs Sporting Cristal which in neither they have impressed me to the point I'd call them favourites. Looking good I'd say although the matchup is about even. Could go either way.

Barcelona definitely closer to the goal than Santos but you never know with counter attacks.

Everytime I've seen Barcelona, Jose Ayoví has stood out. What a beast, so fast and so useful on the counter. He's a player you do not want to sleep on. If only Aleman were still here. 

Gremio score through Lucas Barrios, 1-0 over Botafogo. I still maintain that they will win the Libertadores this year. 

Will also keep my prediction records right. I predicted the winner of the Libertadores successfully in 2015, and 2016. Hopefully I get a threepeat :) 

ALVEZ! 1-0 to Barcelona in Brazil.

2-1 on aggregate.

Lovely goal too. Caicedo with a perfecto cross to Alvez who takes advantage of the Santos backline standing out of position and not in line, gave him the onside completely and the goal is there.

I take it back, Santos were awful throughout the 90 minutes and had a short 15 minute spell where they looked brilliant. Fair play Barcelona, hopefully Jorge Wilstermann get the job done tomorrow that way there are 4 semi-finalists from different countries like the previous year.

Emelec may have been tri champions and had a brilliant team, but its been seen that Barcelona that won the Ecuadorian league last year were the real deal. These are genuine contenders.

I think the final will be Gremio vs Jorge Wilstermann (my shock finalist would be that)

One Libertadores semi is still to be determined. We have Gremio and Barcelona in the other who will battle it out next month. That is mouthwatering already.

Sudamericana

Libertad vs Racing

Independiente vs Nacional de Asuncion

Sport Recife vs Junior

Flamengo vs Fluminense/LDU quito

we could potentially see a FLA/FLU in quarters and Racing - Independiente in semis :o

I think Junior, Nacional, Flamengo and Racing will progress to the semi's.

San Lorenzo and Jorge Wilstermann to go through today.

• 1 month later...

Edilson scores and its 2-0. Nightmare first half for Barcelona, but Gremio have been effective and the home side has looked a bit shaky at the back. Maximo Banguera in particular doesn't look confident at all.

2 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Fuck off, it was a daylight robbery. Fucking corrupt bastards.

I have to comend Lanus for turning it around anyhow. There were some dodgy decisions, for sure. However, the game itself was one of the most entertaining I've seen in a long time. Chance after chance. Pepe Sand for me the best of the match. Scocco was River's best on the night. I was also impressed with Montiel.

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Lanus down 2-0 vs gremio

Arthur is a very good midfielder. By far the best player for gremio. Surely a top team will snap him up soon @El_Loco

I´m a huge fan. Arthur is really good, best midfielder in brazilian football. His passing, ball control, dribble and vision are just too much for south american football. Only 21 and leading his team to a Libertadores title. He will move to Europe soon, I agree. 

Archived