talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thursday 26th April - Arsenal 1-1 Atlético Madrid (SF 1st Leg)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Arsenal are more than capable of winning tonight. Atletico just don't seem to concede at home. That's what would worry me with this tie.

I can see Arsenal winning 2-1 riding off the back of the Wenger factor. But I think that away goal will be crucial.

Like I said before when the draw was made, Simeone doesn't like to play the first leg away and brining whatever job needs to be done home.  He likes it the other way around and believes that pressure is best served for the rival in front of their home faithful.  The important thing as Lucas has stated is NOT to concede tonight.

30 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Like I said before when the draw was made, Simeone doesn't like to play the first leg away and brining whatever job needs to be done home.  He likes it the other way around and believes that pressure is best served for the rival in front of their home faithful.  The important thing as Lucas has stated is NOT to concede tonight.

If it is a score draw, then its over, plus Arsenal do not have the midfield and defensive set up to go away and even hold on to a slim lead, they havent even picked up a point in the league since 31st December away to WBA. 

8 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

If it is a score draw, then its over, plus Arsenal do not have the midfield and defensive set up to go away and even hold on to a slim lead, they havent even picked up a point in the league since 31st December away to WBA. 

Atleti this season have gone from the strangely erratic, to the stable, to the sublime and now rather erratic again (that's been this season in a nutshell)... Scoring goals was a problem at the start of the season, then they went into their normality under Simeone which was score and be able to defend with their eyes closed and then went through three months of ripping teams apart with goals galore... Now they've gone back to suffering to score although defensively they're ok minor odd mishaps.

In other words... Lucky this tie came now and not just under a month ago.  All the same, they're a much more superior side to us in every aspect and better coached.  Although in cup football as Simeone well knows, anything can happen and it's all about holding nerves for two games.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Atleti this season have gone from the strangely erratic, to the stable, to the sublime and now rather erratic again (that's been this season in a nutshell)... Scoring goals was a problem at the start of the season, then they went into their normality under Simeone which was score and be able to defend with their eyes closed and then went through three months of ripping teams apart with goals galore... Now they've gone back to suffering to score although defensively they're ok minor odd mishaps.

In other words... Lucky this tie came now and not just under a month ago.  All the same, they're a much more superior side to us in every aspect and better coached.  Although in cup football as Simeone well knows, anything can happen and it's all about holding nerves for two games.

Well PSV Eindhoven were able to bring Atletico Madrid to Penalties the other season and that was a far better Madrid team,  so there is some hope for Arsenal but Cocu is a very tactical equipped coach. 

5 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Well PSV Eindhoven were able to bring Atletico Madrid to Penalties the other season and that was a far better Madrid team,  so there is some hope for Arsenal but Cocu is a very tactical equipped coach. 

I said at the time that the tie between PSV v Atlético Madrid was the most tactical chess board game I'd seen in years. Both teams played completely differently in both legs and both coaches were wide eyed on what was going on with constant adjustments.  It's the modern coach that not only has his own understanding about all of this but a team of people that design all the moves... There has to be trust though!

Can't really call it, I'm sure Atletico will be very strong even though they have been patchy recently. By all accounts they should walk this tie, but Wenger and this team seem to always pull something out the hat, especially in recent seasons. Overall just hope we put in a solid performance over both legs.

I do have to say I am a tad worried about our lack of width, feel like Welbeck will need to have a top game for us to have any chance of grabbing a few goals. I think 3 at the back might have just been the way to go for this one.

I don't fancy Mustafa needing to keep an eye on Griezmann or Gameiro if Arsenal play high up the pitch, which Simeone will be banking on.

I think it's best to play it cagey and make sure Atleti don't get the away goal. They always play on the finest margins in 2-leg ties, and teams that try to batter them typically fall right into their trap. 

• Administrator

what a chance for Arsenal. Great cross by Welbeck. Lacazette has to at least hit the target there and test Oblak. Shaves the side of the post.

• The title was changed to Thursday 26th April - Arsenal 1-1 Atlético Madrid (SF 1st Leg)
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived