talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thursday 26th April - Arsenal 1-1 Atlético Madrid (SF 1st Leg)

Mightily disappointing, should have won that by at least a couple. Awful, awful error from Koscielny, I seriously have no idea what he was doing there. Fair play to Atletico though, they defended magnificently and have come away with much more than they could have expcted. Such a shame, after a very good display by us. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's the end for Arsenal as far as I am concerned... 

They couldn't score more than 1 against 10 men and conceded an away goal... They are not going to fare any better away against 11

They would need some tremendous luck or an epic performance in the second leg to go through now.. 

It was an absolute shitter of a goal to concede and it came out of no where but Arsenal should have been at least 3 up by that point. 

If you miss so many chances at this level you pay. Simple.

Arsenal didnt even play bad, they  had so many chances but couldnt capitalise. They didnt have a plan B apart from crossing all day which werent working. Koscielny with a massive fuck up to give atletico the away goal advantage and I think its almost impossible for them to go and win the tie in madrid. It was a golden chance against a 10 men team to get a massive advantage and have a foot in the final, sadly wenger is not meant to win anything in europe, feel bad for him after today's chance got wasted.

• The title was changed to Thursday 26th April - Arsenal 1-1 Atlético Madrid (SF 1st Leg)
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's my birthday and I'd like Arsenal to go on to win this to give Wenger a nice little send off, so give me a birthday win Arsenal.

Happy Birthday mate. I was thinking you'd be out getting plastered.

When Atleti went down to 10 men I thought it was going to be even more difficult to score although at the same time I knew what they were going to do down to 10 men which is sit even deeper than usual and looking for a goal wasn't in their plans anymore unless something crazy or stupid happens.  But when Atleti lost Simeone, I thought we could really take it to them because he is more than just a coach, he is their eyes on the sideline and is very active.  It wasn't to be and all we did was cross, cross, cross and cross again because they're watertight at the back and to penetrate that through football and the middle, you need serious class which doesn't even guarantee anything against them like that anyway.

The issue was we had no other plans... There ARE NO tactics at Arsenal, just an XI and a format.  The opponent dictates to Arsenal how we're going to attack and not the other way.  They would've taken this result with XI on the pitch and they will be laughing all the way back to Madrid having achieved it with 10. 

I find it curious why people believe cross, cross, cross, cross and more crossing is an analytical form of having chances. We had chances yes, but they did too and I'm not even talking about their goal which also counts unfortunately. It could've been worse for us just a month ago against them.  Now we have to rely on something either epic or some crazy refereeing.

11 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

When Atleti went down to 10 men I thought it was going to be even more difficult to score although at the same time I knew what they were going to do down to 10 men which is sit even deeper than usual and looking for a goal wasn't in their plans anymore unless something crazy or stupid happens.  But when Atleti lost Simeone, I thought we could really take it to them because he is more than just a coach, he is their eyes on the sideline and is very active.  It wasn't to be and all we did was cross, cross, cross and cross again because they're watertight at the back and to penetrate that through football and the middle, you need serious class which doesn't even guarantee anything against them like that anyway.

The issue was we had no other plans... There ARE NO tactics at Arsenal, just an XI and a format.  The opponent dictates to Arsenal how we're going to attack and not the other way.  They would've taken this result with XI on the pitch and they will be laughing all the way back to Madrid having achieved it with 10. 

I find it curious why people believe cross, cross, cross, cross and more crossing is an analytical form of having chances. We had chances yes, but they did too and I'm not even talking about their goal which also counts unfortunately. It could've been worse for us just a month ago against them.  Now we have to rely on something either epic or some crazy refereeing.

Also shows how poor the swuad is when there were no changes, no attacking options on the bench apart from Iwobi and some kid.

36 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I felt the players began to realise themselves at some points that they needed to work the overloads out wide better and get closer to goal, as opposed to taking the easy crossing opportunities that Atleti bait you into using.

But yeah overall everyone knows that Atletico want you to cross and it felt that Arsenal collectively had not fully prepared to try and unsettle or surprise them. 

Overall we played okay and should've won this game by a couple of goals which is why the draw is disappointing. Atletico of course will be delighted to get the draw after going down to ten early. Team was set up well but Oblak being on form and one mistake/bad luck at the back cost us. Koscielny's attempted clearance hitting Griezmann and the ball falling for him perfectly with Mustafi slipping at the worst time possible. ¬¬

Atletico weren't impressive at all and that might have been because they were down to 10 but they were fortunate to get anything from the game. It will be difficult at Atletico but there's all to play for in the 2nd leg.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, 6666 said:

Overall we played okay and should've won this game by a couple of goals which is why the draw is disappointing. Atletico of course will be delighted to get the draw after going down to ten early. Team was set up well but Oblak being on form and one mistake/bad luck at the back cost us. Koscielny's attempted clearance hitting Griezmann and the ball falling for him perfectly with Mustafi slipping at the worst time possible. ¬¬

Atletico weren't impressive at all and that might have been because they were down to 10 but they were fortunate to get anything from the game. It will be difficult at Atletico but there's all to play for in the 2nd leg.

Looked like Koscielny kicked the ball in to his own body with that attempted clearance. I don't get why he couldn't just knock it back to the keeper or carry on using his strength to get in a better position to make a better clearance. Instead he panicked a bit and made a fool of himself. 

20 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

xD

Noticed that too and laughed out loud xD

Overall Arsenal dominated through the game, Atletico had a good chance through Griezmann and later on he got his goal after some terrible defending by the Arsenal center backs. To get a draw with being 80 minutes with ten men is imo a excellent result. Think Atletico have the upper hand now, but Arsenal should go for the win in the second leg.

16 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

xD

:rofl:

Brilliant!

Where you're normal footballer would be dying to come on in the thought mode of sensing he could do better after watching it all from the bench, with Costa you can visually observe he's identifying running objects he would love to intimidate and attack. xD

Arsenal will win in Madrid,  I can smell it,  the Spanish league is so poor and only 1 good team in it Real Madrid who didn't even bother taking the league serious this season,  it is all in Arsenals hands even though they are shit away, I feel they can beat this outfit,  With Simeone banned and their overweight assistant who just waves invisible yellow cards and looks like a big dog tied up outside a shop who is lost without his owner,  Wenger can do it and win this game.    

• The topic was unpinned

Archived