talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Celtic Achieve Record Points In A Season (106pts)

football forum

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the motivation now they have Rangers in the Semi-Finals of the cup will keep them motivated.

What I'm hoping for is for Rodgers to start rotating in fringe players, they lose momentum and they somehow are a shadow of themselves in the cup game(s).

• 2 weeks later...

I fully expect them to, they've only dropped four points all season, and even their rotation players could probably see of most of the Premiership. The main question for me though is why it's taken them so long to get to this level of domination. As soon as Rangers went to shit they have had this opportunity to well and truly dominate, but it's taken them the best part of three or four seasons to get here. Did it take Rodgers to really bring out their best?

I don't think such domination is healthy (cf. Ligue 1 before and after PSG started getting bankrolled like there's no tomorrow), but that's the way it is. God only knows how long it will be until one of Rangers, Hearts or Aberdeen is in a position to give them a genuine run for their money.

8 hours ago, tlr said:

I fully expect them to, they've only dropped four points all season, and even their rotation players could probably see of most of the Premiership. The main question for me though is why it's taken them so long to get to this level of domination. As soon as Rangers went to shit they have had this opportunity to well and truly dominate, but it's taken them the best part of three or four seasons to get here. Did it take Rodgers to really bring out their best?

I don't think such domination is healthy (cf. Ligue 1 before and after PSG started getting bankrolled like there's no tomorrow), but that's the way it is. God only knows how long it will be until one of Rangers, Hearts or Aberdeen is in a position to give them a genuine run for their money.

How about never. Football is not about competition, it's all about the "big" teams being given a right of passage to the centre stage. Celtic btw are not regarded as a big team, they are no marks like the rest of us, but due to the ridiculous weighted systems employed by football nowadays , the rich get richer and the poor can fuck right off. So Celtic and their champions league money means they are miles and miles in front of the rest of Scottish football. Hopefully we have a Leicester type freak result every now and again. 

The only way I can see another side winning the SPL is if an owner comes into a club and pumps masses into whatever club but realistically, that's more likely to be Rangers than anyone else. But if that were to happen you'd get people slating the quality of Scottish Football because [team name] have only won the SPL because they had loads of money pumped into them and its devalued the league. 

i think Rangers fans dream about RB coming in and buying them. It would be great just to watch Celtic squirm if there was a credible challenge from another team. However with the size of country we are and our inability to pull in massive tv audiences, our chances of investors looking in this direction are slim. It would have to be a home grown millionaire and there doesn't appear to be a mad rush at the moment. 

it's just kinda like celebrating kicking a one legged tramp now really, complete farce at far as Celtic are concerned. Rangers need another 2 years I reckon and what a period utterly wasted by Aberdeen who should have closed the gap on the old firm in Rangers absence. 

Aberdeen have improved massively in the last four years since McInnes took over. In that time he has spent £175k on one transfer. They have built year on year and are vastly superior to every team in Scotland, bar Celtic. 

Not sure how anyone could describe that as wasted.

Aberdeen have done well to push Celtic as much as they have over the past four or five years but after them, has there actually been anybody pushing Aberdeen? Forgetting Celtic and Rangers exist for a minute, in that four or five years when the top flight had only one of the major two sides, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and probably ICT have been the next group of teams but three out of those four have been relegated in that period and only one of those three have returned as yet. 

As it's been said above, unless there is a rich fan or someone with a connection to a town or city in Scotland, major investors are thin on the ground, which is a shame. If the SPL become a three horse race, it would be much more interesting for neutrals I feel. 

The only way a team has a major chance of competing is with youth development. That's the only way clubs like those can get a higher standard of player.

Even then Hibs had a generation like that 10-12 years ago, but still managed to mess it up. 

Aberdeen have managed to succeed in the last few years, partially due to the incompetence of other 'bigger clubs'. Leaving them alone to sign good players from the other Scottish clubs without much competition. 

On 04/04/2017 at 0:23 PM, ScoRoss said:

The only way a team has a major chance of competing is with youth development. That's the only way clubs like those can get a higher standard of player.

Even then Hibs had a generation like that 10-12 years ago, but still managed to mess it up. 

Aberdeen have managed to succeed in the last few years, partially due to the incompetence of other 'bigger clubs'. Leaving them alone to sign good players from the other Scottish clubs without much competition. 

Very much agree with this and this is why Hearts must keep Cathro. His previous work with young developing players is well documented. He helped bring through quite few "good uns" at united. Levein also is a big supporter of youth development. The fruits of this are beginning to show at Hearts. We have signed 8 youths to pro contracts this year with more to follow down the years. We have the best facilities in Scotland by quite some distance and stories of young talent from all over Scotland joining us at youth level is now a regular occurrence. We will never be able to compete with Celtic on a financial level,  we have made the choice as a club to offer wages within a strict wage budget. Never again will we accrue debt chasing the dream. However something the club is clear about is we can compete at youth player recruitment and we will produce a high number of high prospect youth players going forward. 

• Subscriber

It's pathetically weak. Rangers being in the trouble they've been in has made the league even more unbearable to watch. I just hope Rangers improve and fast. The sooner they can challenge the better.

10 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

It's pathetically weak. Rangers being in the trouble they've been in has made the league even more unbearable to watch. I just hope Rangers improve and fast. The sooner they can challenge the better.

That's the problem with English people and Scottish football, can't see past the Old Firm. The league doesn't 'need' Rangers to be strong. The league needs every team to gradually improve year on year to succeed.

I agree ScoRoss, every season I am full of optimism and hope that finally, I'll see us lift the title. I missed our last by 7 years unfortunately, but I still start every season thinking, this is our year. Usually by sept reality has kicked in, but who the fuck wants to watch their team win every week 😂😂😂 na, give me a life of near misses and under achieving any day of the week. And I'll tell you something for nothing, when I finally see that title, it will be the party to end all parties 🍻🍻👍🏻👍🏻😂😂

• Subscriber

As Aberdeen and Hearts fans you will no doubt have hope and why not. I have no affection with either club and i'm speaking from my opinion as a neutral.

I would love if it you were right. You may even get close but i just cannot see anyone ever challenging Celtic/Rangers. 

It's different in the Premier League as there's not just 1 or 2 who will challenge, there's always at least 3 or 4. 

Archived