Shahid Khan Withdraws Offer to Buy Wembley

football forum

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
32 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Daniel Levy thought that White Hart Lane would be home of NFL in England xD

We have a ten year deal for 2 games a year. Still no guarantees at all that any franchise would go to Wembley.

Nothing to see here 

Fulham owner Shahid Khan is hoping to build a retractable roof on Wembley Stadium that fully closes.

The NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars owner has made the Football Association an offer of £1billion for Wembley Stadium.

A partial roof was implemented for Wembley when it was built between 2003-2007 but Khan would like to install a roof similar to that of the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

On 4/27/2018 at 03:09, The Artful Dodger said:

NFL is literally the worst sport going. Tedious shit enjoyed by vacuous morons. This would be the final nail.

Absolutely ridiculous statement. I don't like the sport but I'm not so arrogant to laud over the people that do enjoy it.  I will never understand the bizarre European vs. North-American dichotomy of talking down each-other's sports.  You're post is literally the European equivalent of an American frat-bro douchebag saying 'soccer is for diving faggots'.

On 01/05/2018 at 19:33, Spike said:

Absolutely ridiculous statement. I don't like the sport but I'm not so arrogant to laud over the people that do enjoy it.  I will never understand the bizarre European vs. North-American dichotomy of talking down each-other's sports.  You're post is literally the European equivalent of an American frat-bro douchebag saying 'soccer is for diving faggots'.

Dichotomy

a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different.

• Administrator

Reports now coming out that Wembley might not be able to be sold by the FA for the next 40 years due to a stipulation placed in the contract by those who contributed to the finances of building it in the first place. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 04:09, The Artful Dodger said:

NFL is literally the worst sport going. Tedious shit enjoyed by vacuous morons. This would be the final nail.

Nice to know your thoughts on sports you don't understand. Stay classy. :ay:

58 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's shite.

Absolutely disagree. 

HOWEVER, if you are raised in a country where it's not part of your culture, I could understand the narrow mindedness. 

Football is a lot more than a game here, it's tailgating, and making more noise that most, if not all, soccer stadium in the world. Football has created registered earthquakes. 

Granted, my passion for it is waning as the safety of it is getting way out of control, but I still love it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

FA secures £100m Wembley buyback right as sale vote looms

The FA could reacquire Wembley Stadium for as little as £100m if its prospective new owner fails to maintain its elite status, it has emerged, hours before a £600m takeover bid could be derailed.

Sky News has learnt that the £100m buyback clause, which would be triggered if Wembley was downgraded as a host venue by UEFA, European football's governing body, is part of a wide-ranging agreement struck between the Football Association and Shahid Khan, owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars American football team.

The buyback clause is aimed at helping to persuade sceptics on the FA's board about the merits of a sale, with a full FA board meeting scheduled to take place on Thursday.

Senior insiders are sceptical that the amateur game's board representatives will agree to the sale, which would see hundreds of millions of pounds spent on grassroots football facilities across England.

The potential deal has divided some of the sport's key stakeholders, with traditionalists decrying the possibility of a sale; others have welcomed the gigantic windfall which could emerge in the wake of England's best World Cup performance since 1966.

Mr Khan is understood to have agreed to a series of concessions aimed at winning support for his purchase of the world's most iconic sporting arena.

The Financial Times reported on Thursday that the outline terms of a deal also included a profit-share arrangement if Mr Khan sold Wembley on for a profit.

However, the deal would not include a windfall for the FA from any uplift in the value of Mr Khan's NFL franchise, which is said to have been discussed at an earlier stage of the negotiations.

Other conditions attached to the deal, according to the FT, would see the FA: continuing to have representation on the stadium's board; having a veto over sponsorship of Wembley; holding step-in rights to take back operational control if it is not adhering to certain standards under Mr Khan's ownership; preventing the new owner from being able to use the stadium as collateral for a loan; and a guaranteed staging agreement ensuring that major domestic and international matches are played there.

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, Sport England and the Greater London Authority are all said to have signalled their support for a sale on the proposed terms.

Greg Clarke, the FA chairman, and Martin Glenn, the governing body's chief executive, are also endorsing the deal.

One source close to the talks said that if a minority of FA board members representing the amateur game effectively vetoed the deal, it could spark a broader crisis over the governance of the sport.

"These are the guys who stand to benefit most from a sale," the source said.

"They will never have an opportunity of this kind again to generate a windfall to invest in English football, and if they block it, it would be disastrous."

The FA is taking advice on the deal from Rothschild, while Mr Khan is being advised by Centerview Partners.

https://news.sky.com/story/fa-secures-100m-wembley-buyback-right-as-sale-vote-looms-11509128

The Football Association's board has unanimously backed the plan to sell Wembley Stadium to Fulham owner Shahid Khan.

The proposed deal, which is worth £600m in cash and £300m in future revenue from the stadium's hospitality business, will now go to the FA Council's next meeting on October 11.

In a statement, an FA spokesperson said: "The sale of Wembley Stadium, the negotiated protections and an outlined plan to invest £600m into football community facilities, were presented and discussed at the FA Board meeting.

"Following on from this discussion, the FA Board has agreed to take the presentation to the FA Council to get its input now that the full facts are known."

• The title was changed to Wembley Sale to Shahid Khan Set to Go Ahead

Obviously £600m is a lot of money but in footballing terms, I’d argue it’s not, and what will that actually get you these days? And how long will it last? And more importantly, does anyone trust The FA to actually spend it wisely? 

I think the sale of Wembley, what, twelve years (?) after it first opened goes to show what an unmitigated disaster the rebuild has been since that day Didi Hamann slammed one in the bottom corner in the rain back in 2000. 

• The title was changed to Shahid Khan Withdraws Offer to Buy Wembley

Archived