talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ben Wilmot Completes Move from Stevenage to Watford

He's been linked quite heavily with Watford recently too:

Brentford are targeting a new centre-back this summer and Stevenage's Ben Wilmot is one player on their list, Sky Sports News understands.

The Bees are set to lose Denmark defender Andreas Bjelland when his contract expires this summer and have been scouting for a potential replacement.

Wilmot, 18, is one they have watched extensively but so have other clubs, including Premier League Brighton, while the Bees have also kept an eye on Yeovil's Tom James.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Ben Wilmot Completes Move from Stevenage to Watford
49 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Of all the clubs he was linked too I reckon this could be the one to stunt his growth as a footballer the most. 

Watford signed Andy Scott from us to act as their head scout I believe for the UK, lower leagues especially. I think their model will be a lot similar to ours in certain respects and imagine they'll be looking to bring through players like Wilmot to eventually get a big payday on him and of course "challenge" in the Premier League.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Watford signed Andy Scott from us to act as their head scout I believe for the UK, lower leagues especially. I think their model will be a lot similar to ours in certain respects and imagine they'll be looking to bring through players like Wilmot to eventually get a big payday on him and of course "challenge" in the Premier League.

Is that Andy Scott as in your former Manager?

There transfer model has seemed to improve over the last year from "let's sign 13 new players and a couple of them may be really good" to a more thought out approach where they're considering home grown talent like Hughes and Chalobah. 

2 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Is that Andy Scott as in your former Manager?

There transfer model has seemed to improve over the last year from "let's sign 13 new players and a couple of them may be really good" to a more thought out approach where they're considering home grown talent like Hughes and Chalobah. 

Yeah it is, he was scouting for us for over 2 years and was Head of Recruitment for over a year throughout a time we brought in the likes of Ollie Watkins, Luke Daniels, John Egan, Daniel Bentley, Ryan Woods, Josh McEachran and Sergi Canos. That's not mentioning Sawyers and Henry though I'd say Dean Smith was a bigger influence there, I'm not sure how much he knew about our foreign imports and how much was down to Smartodds but we done well whilst he was here regardless.

Maybe Watford are after a more sustainable side and obviously the English lads will come with the classic "English tax"

Archived