talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wolves - The Championship's Greatest?

Don Goodman believes Wolves are the best team he has ever seen in the Championship and expects them to have no trouble adjusting to life back in the Premier League.

Nuno Espirito Santo's side, who are unbeaten in their last eight matches, were crowned champions on Saturday after thrashing Bolton 4-0 at the Macron Stadium.

And former Wolves forward Goodman has heaped praise on his old club, who will just miss out on the Championship record points tally of 106 points set by Reading, should they win their final two matches.

• The title was changed to Wolves - The Championship's Greatest?
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/04/2018 at 20:08, Stan said:

well he would say that wouldn't he xD 

Probably because he's right. I can't think of a side since I've been watching the game that has looked SO prepared for the Premier League, even before a summer of transfers.

That side would spank most of the bottom half of the PL more often than not. Worthy winners, and with the Sky/BT megabucks to further fund Mendes's network of superstars, they could have a very, very good season next year. 

I said on here around about the start of October I think that this side was the best footballing side I've seen down here in the Championship since Swansea were here under Brendan Rodgers. That's not me saying best team to clarify, but footballing wise yes. They just control game's so well, ooze quality and just have that classy look about them.

I think the teams that play really good football are the one's who thrive in the PL. Swansea were so refreshing to watch when they came up. Bournemouth were not quite as complete as Swansea but still played some brilliant stuff that made them stood out in the PL in their first couple season's, and I've no doubt's Wolves will be the same.

Sunderland 98/99 or Reading the year they got 100+ points were better teams based on the fact that those sides weren’t, from memory, put together by spending millions and the money spent on those sides at the time would still be peanuts with inflation compared to the spending of Wolves. 

7 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Sunderland 98/99 or Reading the year they got 100+ points were better teams based on the fact that those sides weren’t, from memory, put together by spending millions and the money spent on those sides at the time would still be peanuts with inflation compared to the spending of Wolves. 

Readings team was predominantly built from players that performed well at Brentford with Coppell and at other lower league clubs. They were really impressive.

48 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

As I said, footballing wise, Wolves and Swansea are two of the best for me.

You can quite rightly look at things in a different light as you have down there, and there are teams that have gone up with more points than teams I've mentioned but from a footballing perspective, not expenditure or points totals, for me Wolves and Swansea were out on their own and played a brand of football that was just above the level of this league. Bournemouth not too far behind either.

16 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

You say 'spending millions' like it's a dirty word in the Championship, yet Crystal Palace, a club of a similar, if not smaller standing than Wolves, can spend £30m on Benteke. 

It's the FFP gamble that so many sides are going for now. Spend well above your income with the goal of going up within three years to instantly wipe out that loss. That financial tactic worked for Bournemouth - it didn't work for Forest. 

So many people are sore about Wolves, their money and Mendes, but the top clubs in the Championship are all at it. Look at the transfer fees that have gone round in the past few years on painfully mediocre footballers - McCormack, Rhodes, Gayle. Those transfers were only a couple of million less than the sums Wolves paid for Costa and Neves, and they actually have youth and technical ability on their side.

People are simply pissed their club didn't think of the Mendes model first.

41 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

You say 'spending millions' like it's a dirty word in the Championship, yet Crystal Palace, a club of a similar, if not smaller standing than Wolves, can spend £30m on Benteke. 

It's the FFP gamble that so many sides are going for now. Spend well above your income with the goal of going up within three years to instantly wipe out that loss. That financial tactic worked for Bournemouth - it didn't work for Forest. 

So many people are sore about Wolves, their money and Mendes, but the top clubs in the Championship are all at it. Look at the transfer fees that have gone round in the past few years on painfully mediocre footballers - McCormack, Rhodes, Gayle. Those transfers were only a couple of million less than the sums Wolves paid for Costa and Neves, and they actually have youth and technical ability on their side.

People are simply pissed their club didn't think of the Mendes model first.

Not a dirty word, just a pretty big advantage in comparison to others. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Not a dirty word, just a pretty big advantage in comparison to others. 

As a supporter of a team who has been on the other end of that advantage many times this season, I agree. 

But then, that's English football. 

Unless the national league pyramid starts again under an egalitarian NFL-esque draft system, there will be some clubs with a large financial advantage over others. Such are the evils of capitalism eh?

That aside, that 'pretty big advantage' is going to apply way more to any (well-run) club which drops into the Championship. £90m-£100m rewards for relegation, as three years of parachutes? As long as clubs' high earners have relegation clauses (ours didn't a few years back, whoops), they can cut their cloth accordingly and STILL have huge financial power over 20 of the clubs in the division. Wolves are simply keeping up. 

Archived