talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leeds United Trip to Myanmar

A lot of fuss being made out of this. Leeds, due to the owners business links, are scheduled to play two games in Myanmar in the summer. A country associated with internal military operations, the zika virus and ethnic cleansing.

Fans have been urging the club to reconsider, players and staff have been having sleepless nights, yet the owner thinks it's a good idea. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

all set for disaster. owner clearly having no consideration for the fans or players given how dangerous and tense it is over there. Doesn't matter how well the links are that you have, you're putting people's lives at risk. may sound a bit of an exaggeration but if I was a player I'd be trying to drop some things on my foot to get an injury xD 

Could you imagine a coach full of Leeds fans turning up to fucking Myanmar...that would be a sight 😂

With nudge though, I know plenty of people who've travelled there, sleepless nights is a bit excessive 

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Sleepless nights because of a trip to Myanmar? xD OK then xD 

Yeah, zika only produces symptoms on about 10% of the people it spreads to i believe, and only 1% can get Guillaum-Barre's (which is the only dangerous thing about it besides microcephaly for yet to born babies infected) syndrome out of it if i remember correctly.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Berserker said:

Yeah, zika only produces symptoms on about 10% of the people it spreads to i believe, and only 1% can get Guillaum-Barre's (which is the only dangerous thing about it besides microcephaly for yet to born babies infected) syndrome out of it if i remember correctly.

Not to mention that getting infected with the virus is extremely unlikely in the first place, and mosquito bites can be easily prevented by using a repellent anyway...

Also people saying that Myanmar is dangerous due to "political unrest" and "internal military operations"... What a load of bollocks, there are a few restricted border areas that have been restricted for years due to territorial disputes (which is not surprising, given the fact that there are over 130 ethnic groups living in the country), but no tourist would ever get even close to those areas; the rest of the country is extremely safe, with Yangon probably being the safest big city in the whole region. There are loads of tourists and expats travelling and living in the country, there's nothing even remotely dangerous about a trip to Myanmar for a football match, ffs xD 

The culture of fear in our society really is unbelievable... 

14 minutes ago, nudge said:

Not to mention that getting infected with the virus is extremely unlikely in the first place, and mosquito bites can be easily prevented by using a repellent anyway...

Also people saying that Myanmar is dangerous due to "political unrest" and "internal military operations"... What a load of bollocks, there are a few restricted border areas that have been restricted for years due to territorial disputes (which is not surprising, given the fact that there are over 130 ethnic groups living in the country), but no tourist would ever get even close to those areas; the rest of the country is extremely safe, with Yangon probably being the safest big city in the whole region. There are loads of tourists and expats travelling and living in the country, there's nothing even remotely dangerous about a trip to Myanmar for a football match, ffs xD 

Yeah, it's way safer than the US or even England, but it's not "politically correct" to say so. Our society is pathetic i agree, oh god, how i miss the 90s!

15 minutes ago, nudge said:

This applies to another country i know of :35_thinking: 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I don't think the outcry is about the safety of the players, fans. White westerners are treated like kings there and won't likely any danger. It's more the moral question of going and making money in a country where ethnic cleansing is being practised. Quite rightfully this is being questioned and complained about.

What next, the Assad Olympics?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I don't think the outcry is about the safety of the players, fans. White westerners are treated like kings there and won't likely any danger. It's more the moral question of going and making money in a country where ethnic cleansing is being practised. Quite rightfully this is being questioned and complained about.

What next, the Assad Olympics?

My post was in response to all the "it's dangerous" and "people's lives are being put at risk" comments, not the alleged "moral" aspect of the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived