talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Barcelona Discussion

football forum

Valverde should have been fired after Anfield but the way Barcelona's board his dismissal is a disgrace. 

For all his faults, Valverde shouldn't have been treated like he was. Barcelona openly dealt with Xavi while Valverde was still the coach. That's not how such a club should handle things.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Valverde should have been fired after Anfield but the way Barcelona's board his dismissal is a disgrace. 

For all his faults, Valverde shouldn't have been treated like he was. Barcelona openly dealt with Xavi while Valverde was still the coach. That's not how such a club should handle things.

10 years ago (or around then), I used to think Barca were one of the classiest clubs in Europe. Two Presidencies & boards later... and my opinion of them has changed entirely.

Seems like they're completely incapable of doing anything behind closed doors.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

10 years ago (or around then), I used to think Barca were one of the classiest clubs in Europe. Two Presidencies & boards later... and my opinion of them has changed entirely.

Seems like they're completely incapable of doing anything behind closed doors.

Really? They have always been a tempestuous club, highly prone to emotional changes and bust ups. They had 10 managers in the 1980s, it was only really Cruyff's management that brought any sense of stability and made them into the huge club they are, before then they really weren't regarded as one of the great European clubs. Other than that it's only Guardiola who's had any sustained period of success without falling foul of the Barcelona establishment. 

Incredibly similar to Real Madrid in terms of how they behave.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.ba3c5662939477cd3a3be3a7b244f76a.png

Barcelona are close to signing Brazilian midfielder Matheus Fernandes, 21, from Palmeiras for 7m euros, plus a potential 4m in add-ons. (Mundo Deportivo - in Spanish)

Barca are also monitoring the progress of 17-year-old Japanese midfielder Jun Nishikawa, who currently plays for Cerezo Osaka. (Mundo Deportivo - in Spanish)

On 14/01/2020 at 16:38, Asura said:

I like Setien and wanted him to be Arsenal's manager when Wenger was stepping down along with few other names... I think he will do well at Barcelona. Good luck 

He is actually the only manager to beat Barcelona at Camp Nou in a good 3 or so years and even the last loss before that was against Real Madrid in the Super Cup. His record at the Bernabeu is also great. 3 games, 2 wins(with Real Betis) and 1 draw(with Las Palmas), so he certainly knows how to make newly promoted and mid-table sides more competitive. It's whether he can prove it at a bigger club now where the expectations and pressure is much higher.

One thing I do like about Quique is that he always has his teams playing nice football so it could be an appointment that works out well.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

On 16/01/2020 at 08:42, CaaC (John) said:

Quote.thumb.png.ba3c5662939477cd3a3be3a7b244f76a.png

Barcelona are close to signing Brazilian midfielder Matheus Fernandes, 21, from Palmeiras for 7m euros, plus a potential 4m in add-ons. (Mundo Deportivo - in Spanish)

Barca are also monitoring the progress of 17-year-old Japanese midfielder Jun Nishikawa, who currently plays for Cerezo Osaka. (Mundo Deportivo - in Spanish)

I’ve followed Jun Nishikawa since he was 15, and he’s a top talent. Just further proof Japan is very underrated when it comes to football. I just hope he doesn’t go the Lee Seung-Woo route.

On 17/01/2020 at 08:46, Carnivore Chris said:

He is actually the only manager to beat Barcelona at Camp Nou in a good 3 or so years and even the last loss before that was against Real Madrid in the Super Cup. His record at the Bernabeu is also great. 3 games, 2 wins(with Real Betis) and 1 draw(with Las Palmas), so he certainly knows how to make newly promoted and mid-table sides more competitive. It's whether he can prove it at a bigger club now where the expectations and pressure is much higher.

One thing I do like about Quique is that he always has his teams playing nice football so it could be an appointment that works out well.

yes, I like his style of football and I watched most of Betis' matches when they finished sixth that season... I even followed him a little when he was at Las Palmas before that...

true though about the big club expectations... his attacking style and his cruyffian principles made me watch him a lot and I wish he succeeds at barcelona

• 2 weeks later...

Really gutted about that :( It also means that Barça's only fit senior forwards for the remainder of the season are Messi, Griezmann and Ansu. I think they should have the option to make an emergency signing outside the window, but I'd rather they bet on the B team lads...Alex Collado should get more minutes from here on out, which is a positive, looking forward to hopefully seeing more of him with the first team

Edited by nfb_10

• Subscriber

I get where someone from the board would see this as managers being changed but nothing translating directly on the pitch but they have to shoulder a lot of the blame for how things have unfolded. Then to go out and make a statement against the players? What did they think was going to happen. This is also a player who has a recent history of making comments to the public as well. Poorly handled by Barcelona in general. I don't think he'll leave but his contract is up in 2021 so anything is possible.

Edited by Mel81x

• Subscriber

What next for Barcelona?

They need something fresh, they feel stale.

Barcelona in the last 2 seasons have been so poor. It's mental just how much Messi carried them last season, i don't think people actually realise just how much he's carried them. Especially since Iniesta left.

4 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

What next for Barcelona?

They need something fresh, they feel stale.

Barcelona in the last 2 seasons have been so poor. It's mental just how much Messi carried them last season, i don't think people actually realise just how much he's carried them. Especially since Iniesta left.

I don't think their transfer policy gets as much stick as it should. Not even them misusing La Masia has to do with this. They've just bought shite after shite.

Liverpool's transfer committee got trashed on a few years ago but it's nowhere near as bad as what Barcelona have been doing. 

Their signings since 2017 (not counting Barcelona B signings)

Antoine Griezmann - One of the most overrated strikers I've ever seen and is being found out well at Barcelona. Wasn't all that for Atletico and for France he's pretty bad.

Frenkie De Jong - Could potentially be a great signing but he's not one that will change the club immediately

Arthur Melo - Same as Frenkie De Jong

Arturo Vidal - Signed 2 or 3 seasons well after his prime. Also scandals with Chile prove that he has nothing to do at Barcelona.

Malcom - Is he even good? Swear he could make his name more before arguably the biggest club in the world go on and sign him.

Clement Lenglet - He's not been too bad but again, he's not a world class player or one that will shape the club in modern times.

Thomas Vermaelen - hahahahahahaha

Nelson Semedo - Decent player but still nothing of those of the past.

Paulinho - I've always thought PL fans were harsh on him cos he flopped at Spurs, and I think he is good enough to play in a top European league, but he's never ever ever been of Barcelona quality and this is another laughable signing by them.

Ousmane Dembele - He's clearly talented but for 105M and a replacement for Neymar, even without his injury problems he's never been that good. Needed a year or 2 more at Dortmund first.

Philippe Coutinho - This is potentially their best signing on paper in the last 3 years, but obviously it didn't go as expected.

Yerry Mina - Got given like 1 or 2 games which he did poorly in then loaned him out. Could've been like Arthur or Frenkie De Jong but wasn't really given enough of a chance.

So yeah, I maintain their last good signing on paper and on the pitch was Luis Suarez.